• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movie directors with a sonic signature

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Since I was a child i loved to record the sound of movies on compact cassette and play it to me while imagining the picture. It later turned out that this habit was a perfect film school preparing my professional life as an editor and filmmaker. Anyway. what was tape back then is now mka files today. The app Neutron (a catastrophy when organizing playlists) can play DTS or AAC sorround tracks and also mix them down to stereo. Listened to Blade Runner the other day and it is still fascinating how seamlessy music, dialogue and sound effects do blend. Those who were around in 1979 might also remember, that the soundtrack of "Apocalypse Now" was a 2-LP Set that more or less worked like a radioplay with music and dialogue. I only remember that "The Black Hole" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" also had soundtrack versions with dialogue and larger than life sound-effects. BTW. taste in Music is not everything. Walter Murch always shows a scene from the Godfather to film students, when Michael Corleone does his first murder. No suspense musicc at all, just the screeching of the subway. But in the moment when he drops his gun, the music works almost as a relief, watch after 6:40:
Fantastic talk. Love to hear class acts like him talk about their work. Non-sectarian explanations of why they did things the way they did them, and what compromises and design choices they had to make along the way.

It later turned out that this habit was a perfect film school preparing my professional life as an editor and filmmaker.
Oh wow. Could I ask for some movies where I could see your work?
I'm happy with my chosen profession, but filmmaker is my "in another life" calling.

BTW. taste in Music is not everything.
Agree, agree.

Walter Murch always shows a scene from the Godfather to film students, when Michael Corleone does his first murder. No suspense musicc at all, just the screeching of the subway.
Right. I think it registered as subway sound to me when I saw Godfather as a kid. Many years later I ended living in NYC, and so the exact sound of "over-ground" subway is something familiar now.
The larger point of not drowning all the key moments in music is important, and all too often ignored. IMO, Mann and Malick are great practitioners of pulling back the music in key moments.

I also have many albums from soundtracks. And I have discovered a lot of music thanks to movies. I mean: Malick, Kubrick and Tarantino can give you an education.
There are soundtracks where the movie is just meh, completely dominated by the score.
The Mission is one such case, brilliant album, soso movie.

So, clearly, you're a fan of Walter Murch. Other editors / directors / movies that stand out to you?

Last edited:

Andretti60

I think Tokyo Story is now lauded as the best movie ever, but for my money, Late Spring and Early Summer far surpass it. What a trilogy, the Noriko trilogy.
completely agree with the Noriko trilogy.

Something interesting: at the top of the list of the best movies ever, together with Ozu we also find Italian movies shot in the same period of time, that is during the American occupation after WWII. Italian directors like Rossellini and De Sica were making movies about poor and working class people struggling with everyday life in a country that went through many years of struggle and it was ready for a change, even though we knew that will never be the same. And that was difficult for the older generation. Watching Ozu movies for me, as an Italian, was a revelation.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh wow. Could I ask for some movies where I could see your work?
In German, with subtitles in English, 中文简体, Español, Français, Ελληνική, Polski.
Even though it is a documentary, I put a lot of work in sound design.
As one exaple, a protagonist in Chile talks about the passing of his mentor,
the further he progresses, the nearer death comes, the quieter the background ambience of his room becomes.
In another scene, a morning prayer during breakfast (with some ambience sounds that were not there this morning,
but recorded in the neighborhood) cuts to a rehearsal on stage. You can hear the orchestra tuning their instruments,
but in fact, it was not there that day. Just for signaling "This is a theatre" "These are rehearsals"
Even this background ambience of the orchestra had to be edited. In life, they started with single instruments
adding up to the cacophonic we know. Here, I edited it the other way round, from cacophonic fading to single sounds.
To make the audience think they finished rehearseal. Which of course is nonsense, you do not tune after rehearsing.
But it works - you get the place and do not wonder why you do not hear any instruments the following minutes.
Many sounds came from different sources. You can see a ship on the river Rhine, but its sound was an old ferry
I recorded in Greece. The ferry had a nice rattling that fit the image better than the original sound.
In the link above, you´ll also find cutout scenes. One cutout is a dialogue in an atelier.
The atelier itself was very "dead" soundwise, except some cars passing by.
They are also talking about someone who has passed.
Soundwise the idea was that life goes on.
As it was a very bright, sunny day outside (but late winter) I put a lot of ambience in the room.
Bees flying around that might have come through the open window, birds, leaves etc.
But all single layers: The bees were also recorded in Greece, the leaves of the trees in Germany, the birds
were from the Ozarks.
In fact, the spring-like soundscape was four to six weeks too early for the day of the shooting -the scene was shot early march-
but it works very, very subtly. It took about three days just designing the sound for this scene, but for pacing reasons I did cut it.

Sometimes sounds had to be replaced because of musical rights.
There is a scene with breakdancers on a public square in Cologne
but I could not obtain the rights for the music they used.
So the whole sound of the square including the ambience had to be redone -
I asked a friend to do beatboxing as a replacement for the original music
with some swallows added as the camera pans to the sky.

Besides the "Köln Concert" (which is diegetic music), there is music from the Solo Saxophonist Gert Anklam.
The very long reverb is natural. It was recorded in the Monument to the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig.
As far as I remember, the reverb is about 8-12 seconds...

The magic of editing and coincidence:
In one scene, a dancer rehearses in Santiago de Chile with her daughter, it feels like they are playing.
Cut over 7400 miles to a pas de deux in Innsbruck, Austria:
A couple dances a choreography, originally to music of Richard Wagner.
Both places are connected with a saxophone solo wich was
recorded before filming and editing.
Still you think the couple dances to the saxophone
as both rythms, music and image, magically fit.

Gert is capable of circular breathing.
In one scene, a protagonist waits for the subway,
and there is a steady sound in the background. You do not know
what it is until it becomes louder and reveals itself as a sax.
Same with a scene where the finale of "Part I" of the "Köln Concert" emerges
from as steady sound. Both are sonic signature scenes where the protagonists
had to face life-changing decisions.

So you see, even in "small" films a lot of work can go into sound design,
though the audience would not perceive it as an effect.
Funnily, im my whole film, there is just one single take where no sound work had to be done.
One.
An old women tries to cross a street in Santiago - the larger than life sounds were already there
crispy mufflers, squeaking suspensions, rattling engines.
Recorded with the onboard stereo-mics.
All other scenes had dialogue EQed,
room ambience added and so on.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those who were around in 1979 might also remember, that the soundtrack of "Apocalypse Now" was a 2-LP Set that more or less worked like a radioplay with music and dialogue. I only remember that "The Black Hole" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" also had soundtrack versions with dialogue and larger than life sound-effects.
The soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides (a Sofia Coppola film, as previously mentioned by @jsilvela ) by Air sounds similar, they use chunks of dialogue from the film, it's a great record that works well on its own. FWIW I think the soundtrack is better than the film or the source novel.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many movie directors make sure there is good music in their movies, or that there are impressive sound effects. Not talking about that here.

How about directors that use the dialog, music and background sounds in a unique way?
So that you can almost tell who made the movie just by the sound?
I always feel I’m in good hands with them. I can think of a few.

To name four:

1. Terrence Malick: the inner poem/prayer while the characters are walking or looking at other stuff. Impeccable music.

2. Céline Sciamma: her movies have almost no music. It’s there only in specific moments, happening within the scene. Terrific music, when it’s there.
    The dialog is up-front, intense.

3. Wong Kar-Wai: intimate dialogs, hushed tones, sometimes monologues. Painterly scenes, parsimonious timing.

4. Michael Mann: he loves showing people at work. There is sound of drills and pneumatics and industrial equipment. Gunshot is LOUD. With Mann, you can hear the space. The reverb is there, clear differences tell you the scene happens outdoors, indoors, in a car.

Do people also notice this kind of thing? Any favorites?
I love it when the background music so completely defines the era, emotion and plot of every scene - I'm referring to The Untouchables (2011)[correction, 1987!] directed by Brian De Palma. The only soundtrack where I can replay the entire movie in my head by listening to each track.

Last edited:

Herbert

I love it when the background music so completely defines the era, emotion and plot of every scene - I'm referring to The Untouchables (2011) directed by Brian De Palma. The only soundtrack where I can replay the entire movie in my head by listening to each track.
The Untouchables is from 1987. Telling the era by songs being played in the background of a scene is also very typical for Martin Scorsese.
The only film he could not do it was "Gangs of New York", but he used Peter Gabriel´s "Signal to Noise" in one scene.

Same with George Lucas' "American Graffiti" where the night air seems to buzz with Rock'n Roll songs.

Peter Weir was mentioned with "Gallipoli".
He always uses music in his films which feels part of the soundtrack but is not.
"L´enfant" from Vangelis in "The year of Living Dangerously",
"Anthem" by Philip Glass and "Father's Kolbe Preaching" by Wojciech Kilar in "The Truman Show",
"Rainbow Voice" by David Hykes in "Dead Poets Society"
"Mai Nozipo" by Dumisani Mararire, The Third Symphony by Henryck Górecki in "Fearless".

raif71

Major Contributor
I think Michael Bay's movie has their own sound signature too. The transformer movies, the island, pearl harbor etc. make you feel like you're in his movies not to mention the use of lens flare (lots of it) in the films.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

The soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides (a Sofia Coppola film, as previously mentioned by @jsilvela ) by Air sounds similar, they use chunks of dialogue from the film, it's a great record that works well on its own. FWIW I think the soundtrack is better than the film or the source novel.
Now you've gotten me interested in buying the soundtrack with the chunks of dialogue.
From Virgin Suicides I do remember discovering the band Air.

Another music + film dialogue piece I love is the use of Barber's Adagio at the end of Platoon.
I love Barber's Adagio, and perhaps I love it even a bit more with Charlie Sheen's monologue.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

The Untouchables is from 1987. Telling the era by songs being played in the background of a scene is also very typical for Martin Scorsese.
The only film he could not do it was "Gangs of New York", but he used Peter Gabriel´s "Signal to Noise" in one scene.

Same with George Lucas' "American Graffiti" where the night air seems to buzz with Rock'n Roll songs.

He always uses music in his films which feels part of the soundtrack but is not.
"Anthem" by Philip Glass and "Father's Kolbe Preaching" by Wojciech Kilar in "The Truman Show",
"Mai Nozipo" by Dumisani Mararire, The Third Symphony by Henryck Górecki in "Fearless".
This is an interesting topic.
Some people I'm sure would insist on music being from the same time period of the movie.
Me, I come to movies with a large willingness to suspend disbelief.

And so, I have no problem with Vangelis's score for Chariots of Fire which is set in the 1920's.

Céline Sciamma asked her collaborator Para One, a DJ, to compose a song which could be plausibly a provençal folk song, but with a modern pace of 80bmp.
It's used in Portrait of a Lady on Fire, and it works great.

Peter Weir has gotten several mentions in this thread. He's one one of the greats.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

RosalieTheDog

Thank you Jsilvela for this great thread. I love "Portrait of a lady", also for its sound design.

Your question made me think of a film I saw a great while back, and a more recent one.

The breakfast scenes in Paul Thomas Andersons Phantom Thread perfectly accentuate the neurotic irritation with sounds of the protagonist.

Meanwhile, a recent gem of Swiss cinema, Unrueh (Cyril Schäublin), alternates the little sounds of nature and mechanical sounds of watchmaking:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Peter Weir has gotten several mentions in this thread. He's one one of the greats.
Curiously, no one has mentioned Picnic at Hanging Rock which is by far Weir's best film (IMO). Lot's of rustling of starched petticoats in the outback ... ;-)

Speaking of the outback, Nicolas Roeg's Walkabout has great sound design - as do almost all of Roeg's 70s and 80s work. Not least Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Now you've gotten me interested in buying the soundtrack with the chunks of dialogue.
From Virgin Suicides I do remember discovering the band Air.

Another music + film dialogue piece I love is the use of Barber's Adagio at the end of Platoon.
I love Barber's Adagio, and perhaps I love it even a bit more with Charlie Sheen's monologue.

i saw this at gamount/odeon screen 2 , april 1987 Dolby Stereo A type , with left/right half surrounds and x6 overhead surrounds in the ceiling all playing the same mono matrix surround , way ahead of auro/atmos/dtsx by decades

it also awakened my hearing , and I wasn't hearing any more . i was now actually listening and participating in what Dolby labs discovered mid 70's or early 80's some most audiences were reacting or " Dolby Stereo participation "

Screenshot 2023-03-12 12.15.28.png
Screenshot 2023-03-12 12.16.27.png

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Curiously, no one has mentioned Picnic at Hanging Rock which is by far Weir's best film (IMO). Lot's of rustling of starched petticoats in the outback ... ;-)

Speaking of the outback, Nicolas Roeg's Walkabout has great sound design - as do almost all of Roeg's 70s and 80s work. Not least Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth.
Picking a fight eh? :p
Picnic at Hanging Rock left a lasting impression. Need to revisit. With Weir there's just so much good stuff to pick from. He's in a select list of directors for whom I'll watch anything they make.

Walkabout, yes I remember that one. Those other two Roegs you mentioned, adding them to the queue ...

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Thank you Jsilvela for this great thread. I love "Portrait of a lady", also for its sound design.

Your question made me think of a film I saw a great while back, and a more recent one.

The breakfast scenes in Paul Thomas Andersons Phantom Thread perfectly accentuate the neurotic irritation with sounds of the protagonist.

Meanwhile, a recent gem of Swiss cinema, Unrueh (Cyril Schäublin), alternates the little sounds of nature and mechanical sounds of watchmaking:

Phantom Thread is a marvel; my favorite PTA.
Was trying to find Unrueh in my streaming channels. Will need to dig further, definitely interested.
Thanks!

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Picking a fight eh?
Well, I admit it's a long time since I've seen any of Weir's other films. I do remember The Truman Show was OK, Witness was excellent and Dead Poets Society was some of the worst drivel I've had the misfortune to encounter. Nothing else has left any kind of impression ... ;-)

Those other two Roegs you mentioned, adding them to the queue ...
Roeg could do no wrong IMO at least until the mid 80s. After that he got a bit patchy. His use of famous rock stars in starring roles adds a certain frisson. Jagger in Performance, Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth and Art Garfunkel in Bad Timing. All in my top 10, at least when I'm in that kind of mood.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Dead Poets Society was some of the worst drivel I've had the misfortune to encounter. Nothing else has left any kind of impression ... ;-)
hahaha. Yes. I have to agree.
I also found Green Card kind of bland. But then Witness is just phenomenal. If you haven't seen Master and Commander, much recommended too.

Will look at Roeg's work. My streaming platform carries several of his movies.

Herbert

One of my favourites from Bob Fosses' "All that Jazz":
In this scene, the main character, Joe Gideon, a worcohlic and chain-smokin choreographer and
film director is completely over-exhausted,
He is working on a film and staging a broadway show the same time.
"All that Jazz" is biographical! The film was "Lenny" (with Dustin Hoffmanm about Lenny Bruce), the Broadway Show was "Chicago"
So the hero is close to a heart attack and what happens here is just great, by simply turning things upside-down, soundwise!

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thanks for the correction, I blindly copied 2011 from the Internet LOL I should've known better as I saw the original release in high school and didn't think twice ROFL

Top Bottom