• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moved countries, help me get a new stereo system

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

4 x 3 meters is not a huge room ... On the other hand, 4 to 6000 Euros is a sizable budget, even if you consider the VAT... You mention 90% Digital and that ou will eventually buy a TT, I gather, thus, that the TT is not part oft the aforementioned 4 to 6 K Euros.

There are different paths to the Nirvana of accurate reproduction in the home. I will call this one "Traditionnal"
Amp + Sources + Speakers. It has been proven that electronics are a solved problem. If the amp is of sufficient power to drive adequately your speakers then it is a matter of choosing what brands you like or the aesthetics of the component...
What you will find, change the sound is the room. In most domestic situations, room treatments can be difficult to achieve, not impossible, i hasten to add. Fortunately DRC has come to be a viable and these days, "affordable" , efficient and relatively "easy" to deploy solution.

I will propose to your thoughts 2 "Amp + Speakers" system:

1) MiniDSP SHD Power with Dirac, it is also a Roon ready streamer, 2 x 120 Wpc amplifier , comes with the microphone to measure and correct your room. It is about $1600 in the USA, DOn't know how much in Denmark , you can always check.. cannot be over 2000 euros.
2) Kef R3 Bookshelf. It is usually $1800 in the USA , could be less expensive in Denmark.

With these you have a complete, room corrected system and with money left to add later a pair o decent subwoofers.

or you go a different route which is IMO the best of both world , as it affords you the DRC and the capability to add more speakers for Home Theater ;)

1) Denon AVR-X3700H. Yes an AVR, which is good for music will power your R3 in such a small room and even a larger one. It is, at any rate, better than a lot of High End Tube amplifiers + Preamplifier + Tubes DAC out there, including a DAC that was measured here and cost $15,000.oo , you read it no typo. and as an amp, better than many (perhaps all tube amplifers) at similar or3 times the price. It has also a DRC, Audyssey which is very good IMO, I use it with great results, but there is a debate as what is a better DRC, Dirac or Audyssey ... You can read about it here at ASR and make you decision.
2) Kef R3. Again. I would have suggested Revel but it may be more expensive in Denmark or difficult to find. I don't know Burchard speakers at all. They measure very well it looks like.

With any of these systems , I believe you will achieve very good results.

Now, if you are open to active speakers, then it becomes a lot more interesting. Let us know.

Peace.
Peace.

Last edited:

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
I would seriously consider that you look into a class d amp for power and maybe a minidsp for the dsp functionalities

What @FrantzM suggests above makes a lot of sense

Top Bottom