• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mounting Kef R3 in two positions on a wall

Harryharryharry

I'm planning on buying some Kef R3s for my DJ setup and office and wondering options of how to mount them.

For the DJ setup they need to be high for standing, and in a roughly 1m equilateral triangle.

For the office/desk I'd want them pointing down and much wider.

Questions:

1. What's the best way to wall mount the Kef R3s? They have some treads on the bottom. I've seen TV arms used which could work but I'm not sure how best to attach the speakers as they don't have vesa mounts.

2. Any distance from wall considerations other than the manual saying a minimum of 22.5cm?

3. Has anyone ever seen or got ideas of how to adjust the speakers between the DJ and office/desk positions and be able to return to those exact positions so I could do room correction for each? This seems hard to achieve but I'm up for a challenge. If not I could settle for correction in one position only perhaps.

Here's my new mixer for any DJ nerds... It's gonna be a hell of a DJ setup!

IMG_20220403_103313.jpg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are probably going to need to fabricate a bottom mounting plate to bolt it to. The bolt holes are M8-1.25 size.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm planning on buying some Kef R3s for my DJ setup and office and wondering options of how to mount them.

For the DJ setup they need to be high for standing, and in a roughly 1m equilateral triangle.

For the office/desk I'd want them pointing down and much wider.

Questions:

1. What's the best way to wall mount the Kef R3s? They have some treads on the bottom. I've seen TV arms used which could work but I'm not sure how best to attach the speakers as they don't have vesa mounts.

2. Any distance from wall considerations other than the manual saying a minimum of 22.5cm?

3. Has anyone ever seen or got ideas of how to adjust the speakers between the DJ and office/desk positions and be able to return to those exact positions so I could do room correction for each? This seems hard to achieve but I'm up for a challenge. If not I could settle for correction in one position only perhaps.

Here's my new mixer for any DJ nerds... It's gonna be a hell of a DJ setup!

I use M8 eye bolts and 100lb rated carabaneers to hang my R3's as front heights. They are NOT DESIGNED FOR THIS so you assume all risk. FWIW I've had mine hanging for about a year now and no obvious signs of stress fractures.

As to how you'd move them up and down, I have no idea. a pulley would be humorous and functional

Attachments

• 16490013420724897627672711165895.jpg
    16490013420724897627672711165895.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 348

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
H

Harryharryharry

I use M8 eye bolts and 100lb rated carabaneers to hang my R3's as front heights. They are NOT DESIGNED FOR THIS so you assume all risk. FWIW I've had mine hanging for about a year now and no obvious signs of stress fractures.

As to how you'd move them up and down, I have no idea. a pulley would be humorous and functional
Thanks for that. A pulley system could be fun!

OP
H

Harryharryharry

How about sending your mixer to @amirm? We have not yet have a a mixer text.
I would love to and would love to but I'm in the UK. We need more European testers.

I'd love to see more DJ kit tested, a lot of DJs don't care about sound quality and I'm sure there's a lot of crap out there but there's also a range of high end mixers that have subjectivly strong reputations. Be awesome to put some numbers to it.

This mixer was made in collaboration with Function one (the leading club speaker manufacture especially for dance music) and I know they obsess about sound quality.

It sounds better than any mixer I've heard and interestingly sums two tracks very well (you can pretty much play two tracks at full volume and it sounds like two tracks).

There is some noise when everything is a full volume though that's normal distortion is 'only' rated 0.01% - 0.005%.

I'd love to see DJ mixer go down the road of DACs and now amps but I expect it unlikely!

jmillar

Preferences vary between continents. America is strongly into bass. How many European systems use a sub vs American ones? It's a matter of preference. I personally find too much bass intrusive and a bit bothersome (it detracts from the precise "weave" of the rest of the work). I usually lower the bass shelf in "ideal" Harman EQing by 3dB or so.

This extends to headphones: Audeze LCD-X are bassy. Aryas and Focal Clears are definitely more balanced.

Movies don't count. Earthquakes and howitzers are not musical genres. So HT fans are a different subset of users with different needs and priorities. So by all means have fun with your multiple subs.

A good reason deep bass is not prevalent in Europe is that detached homes are a minority. Deep bass travels over building structures straight into our neighbours' homes like a jackhammer ouside the window. Not good for neighbour harmony.

Hi fi is balance, accuracy, frequency response, imaging, soundstage and the ability to cope with very complex musical passages without breakup or resonances. Music must transport you. You don't really need to hear the 20 Hz pedal from a cathedral organ to attain this.

In the 60's and 70's NOBODY used subs. Do some contemporary music genres rely so much on deep bass that they are rendered unlistenable in the absence of subs?

Top Bottom