• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mounting and placing speakers in a complicate room

EpoXi

Hello,

I'm trying to plan the way I going to make my very small living room my listening room.
Here is a plan and 3d sketchs of the room.
תלת בית.jpg
תלת בית2.jpg

As you can see is it a very irregular room in which I have little play with speaker placment.

Speaker placment and their distance from the wall is key so I came up with the idea of mounting them on some sort of a retractable arms which I can pull into place when listening and then put them back agaisnt the wall where they wont stay in the way as this is a very small room.
There is the matter with the large window behind them that I know is going to be a problem. There are thin curtains hanging down if it helps.

System: Wharfedale diamond 12.1, SMSL A300, JBL active subwoofer, Khadas tone board.

Happy to hear your thought.
Daniel.

Rosenbloom

Is it possible hanging the speakers high up the wall or even from the ceiling (the red circles)?
תלת בית.jpg

OP
E

EpoXi

I see no problem doing it, It means they will be some 2 meters high, isnt speaker should be at ear level?

Last edited:

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
isnt speaker should be at ear level?
yes, among many other best practice, but in your case with the limited placement option, I hope you expectations are low as there is not much that can be done that will yield interesting results.
Headphones is most likely the way to go.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I would put some kind of TV unit under the large window and put both the TV and the speakers on it. What's the Toneboard plugged into? Can you measure and apply room correction?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a squarish room, and I think the only way to handle it is to re-imagine it on the diagonal. For music, sit in the angle of the sectional, looking at the hinge side of the front door. R speaker as low as feasible under the window, on a tilt-swivel wall mount, so you can aim it. L speaker at the same height on the same type of mount directly under the TV, which might have to be raised a bit. Bonus could be some switching to provide TV sound in mono from the L speaker only. A win all around.

OP
E

EpoXi

yes, among many other best practice, but in your case with the limited placement option, I hope you expectations are low as there is not much that can be done that will yield interesting results.
Headphones is most likely the way to go.
I know it will be far from perfect, unfortunately I got no other options other then give up and keep the system as a desktop. Thanks!
I think I would put some kind of TV unit under the large window and put both the TV and the speakers on it. What's the Toneboard plugged into? Can you measure and apply room correction?
I barely use the TV, I dont mind it too much. The Tonebaord and whole system is conected to my PC right now, I'm looking to get raspberry PI for the the living room.
I have ordered UMIK mic to take measurments so I will be able to.
It's a squarish room, and I think the only way to handle it is to re-imagine it on the diagonal. For music, sit in the angle of the sectional, looking at the hinge side of the front door. R speaker as low as feasible under the window, on a tilt-swivel wall mount, so you can aim it. L speaker at the same height on the same type of mount directly under the TV, which might have to be raised a bit. Bonus could be some switching to provide TV sound in mono from the L speaker only. A win all around.
The TV is low, and I dont really want to move it, I like it at eye level like that. What about mounting above it?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another option is to buy some speaker stands and mount them on castors so they can be moved around. This will allow you to try out (and measure) the speakers in different positions in the room. If you get long enough cables, you could even move the speakers into another room :)

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
תלת בית.jpg

Is there a possibility to replace speaker with inwall speakers and place them inside the walls? Or thin onwall speakers if in wall is not an option?
You could get decent soundstage in that case. Maybe some subwoofer later on... Could be good.

Top Bottom