• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

Sieniek

Hi guys, I have Motu MK5 and I am trying to use it with my active stereo speakers, subwoofers and eventually some 5.1 audio with my windows 10 laptop as a source. I have Multichannel Dirac Live on my laptop but I'm trying to understand and learn which programs do I need to make everything working together best ? Which program for active crossovers ? How to install ASIO ? Etc.

Probably very basic things but I'm lost a little bit.

Raf
Ok I've learned everything and sorted out already.

I'm using foobar2000 for crossovers and as a music player.

Just have a question, what sample rate should I choose in CueMix 5 ?
When I'm playing different songs with different khz the information about khz on MOTU MK5 screen remain all the time the same. I'm not sure how it should work but shouldn't it be changing automatically depends on the song I'm playing on foobar ?

carat

Ok I've learned everything and sorted out already.

I'm using foobar2000 for crossovers and as a music player.

Just have a question, what sample rate should I choose in CueMix 5 ?
When I'm playing different songs with different khz the information about khz on MOTU MK5 screen remain all the time the same. I'm not sure how it should work but shouldn't it be changing automatically depends on the song I'm playing on foobar ?
I think you'd need to use WASAPI or ASIO for that, although from my experimentation neither works seamlessly. If you start playing a track with a different sampling rate, the UltraLite switches to the new rate but F2k either: stops playing (WASAPI), or the audio is garbled (ASIO). In both cases you have to restart F2k before it will actually play properly.

However, it seems like you're better off avoiding WASAPI/ASIO altogether.

Last edited:

AcousticMan

Hello everyone!

Does anybody have the previous firmware for Ultralight mk5? Share the link please!..
I have some problems with my mk5 after update to the latest one.
Thanks in advance!

carat

I wish the two gain knobs were instead generic controls that could be assigned to various functions (e.g. gain for a rear input or any channel fader). This could be possible given the digital encoders. They already let you assign multiple line outs to the main volume knob.

Last edited:

richpjr

Hello everyone!

Does anybody have the previous firmware for Ultralight mk5? Share the link please!..
I have some problems with my mk5 after update to the latest one.
Thanks in advance!
What issues are you experiencing?

AcousticMan

What issues are you experiencing?
There was no sound from the interface outs with sample rate above 48kHz despite peakmeters jumped. Also there was something wrong with interface itself: some noises randomly appear on inputs, my computer stuck several times after interface connection. I contacted MOTU tech support and describe the problem. They gave me links to download beta driver and beta firmware. After installed them the problem has been solved.

TriN

They gave me links to download beta driver and beta firmware. After installed them the problem has been solved.
Interesting, I didn't have noise issues but very metallic highs.
Fortunately, I returned it for the new Minidsp Flex 8 outputs, I have to admit that it does sound better than the Motu without considering the metallic highs, I wasn't ready for this!

carat

Does the "floating ring" thing for unbalanced connections apply to inputs? After reading that section of the manual for the 5th time, I've only now realized that it was referring specifically to the line outputs.
Quarter-inch line outputs are not cross-coupled. Therefore, when connecting them to an unbalanced input, use a TRS plug with the ring disconnected. Not floating the negative terminal will short it to the sleeve ground and cause distortion.
Does that mean the inputs are cross-coupled and we can use TS, or TRS plugs without floating rings for unbalanced connections? Is there any reason not to use TRS floated ring for the inputs?

I purchased all Neutrik NP3X TRS plugs for both the inputs and outputs. Should I short the ring and sleeve together when I solder unbalanced cables for the inputs, or leave the ring floating?

EDIT: Elsewhere in the manual it states:
these six line inputs are balanced TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) quarter-inch connectors that can also accept an unbalanced plug (with the ring disconnected)
So I guess it's floating ring for all outputs and inputs then.

The one exception might be the XLR/TRS combo jacks on the front of the unit, because in Appendix B, in the combo jack section, it says that the 1/4" can accept "Balanced or single ended". I'm assuming "single ended" means a TR plug as opposed to a TRS. There's no other mention of "single ended" plugs in the manual.

Last edited:

dlundqvist

Hey,

Is there any github or similar I can follow the progress?

Not yet, at least not for me. I've been quite busy recently and have had no time to work on this. Things are slowing down so I hope to do some work in the near future. When I have something to show I'll definitely post here.

Is there any way I can contribute without having the card?

I don't think so unfortunately. Well, all least not directly put perhaps encourage MOTU to:
- Go back to a "cross platform" solution.
- Enable the routing matrix (which I'm pretty sure is still there but hidden behind CueMix 5s user interface). This is a bit of weird product positioning to me. Not sure why they decided to limit the device in this way, perhaps as a way to cater to streamers etc. who need better control of stereo mixes going around? With that said, I know what I bought and I'm perfectly fine with it and super happy so far.
- Open up the API.

Lastly, is there any chance this will be also useful for other MOTU devices?

The brief investigation I did I got the feeling that the routing matrix is still there, and I would be very surprised if the protocol and DSP would be wildly different between the different product considering that all control is via web-based applications. My guess is that the products are very similar in this regard, but this is only speculation on my part.

Last edited:

dlundqvist

If you are on Mac, the source for CM5 is available in the app's package. I haven't tried on my PC yet.
Modifying the code and then reloading the app magically works.
The DSP is a LOT MORE capable than what CM5 gives you.

This slightly confirms what I managed to glean from trying do decode the protocol between CueMix 5 and the device. For some reason MOTU has decided to limit the product behind CM5, feels like a strange product positioning.

Cool that you found the source. A tad weird that the ship it like this, but hey. With that said, I will most likely not look at the source when working on this. Just to limit myself to any problems down the road. This will of course mean it may take longer for me to add some functionality. Also, I don't aim to enable to full functionality of the device, only what CM5 support to not cause problem for the application on supported platforms.

TriN

This slightly confirms what I managed to glean from trying do decode the protocol between CueMix 5 and the device. For some reason MOTU has decided to limit the product behind CM5, feels like a strange product positioning.

Cool that you found the source. A tad weird that the ship it like this, but hey. With that said, I will most likely not look at the source when working on this. Just to limit myself to any problems down the road. This will of course mean it may take longer for me to add some functionality. Also, I don't aim to enable to full functionality of the device, only what CM5 support to not cause problem for the application on supported platforms.
You can't add anything to it, I tried, you are limited by the functionality of the device.
The mk5 is just an audio interface, a dumb usb sound card, DSP capabilities are close to zero, I returned mine, got the Minidsp Flex 8.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
EDIT: Elsewhere in the manual it states:
So I guess it's floating ring for all outputs and inputs then.
Usually unbalanced outputs drive balanced inputs just fine with the negative pole shorted to the ground. It is balanced outputs that may have problems with unbalanced inputs. i don’t know why the manual instructs to disconnect the ring at balanced inputs.

dlundqvist

You can't add anything to it, I tried, you are limited by the functionality of the device.
The mk5 is just an audio interface, a dumb usb sound card, DSP capabilities are close to zero, I returned mine, got the Minidsp Flex 8.
There's a misunderstanding here. I was not talking about adding features to the UL-mk5 itself, I was talking about my software for controlling it on platforms where CM5 is not supported. I know what I bought and are perfectly fine with that.

TriN

There's a misunderstanding here. I was not talking about adding features to the UL-mk5 itself, I was talking about my software for controlling it on platforms where CM5 is not supported. I know what I bought and are perfectly fine with that.
Technically, CM5 works on Linux, Playstation, Xbox... anything that has web/js/websocket compatibility, it's just a single page app.
Just run the index.html file and here you go, CM5 working!
You also need to figure out the virtual IP created when plugging it in with USB.

Or... figure out the commands and implement the websocket into your own software, that works too.

xrqp

Forum Donor
REVERB
In the Ultralite Mk5 there is only 1 bus (mix) for reverb. For everything else there is 6 mixes. I wish it had at least 2 reverb mixes. Is this typical of interfaces or mixers that have reverb? Do they only have one reverb mix because reverb is computationally intensive? Is RME UCX ii any better in this regard?

Here is what the Ultralite Mk5 "User Guide" says about its reverb:
The reverb processor is a single, independent unit that provides stereo reverb. Use the channels in the Reverb mix tab (item #2 on page 36) to route input signals to it. All incoming signals to the reverb processor are merged and processed together. The resulting stereo output from the reverb can then be added into any other mix bus with the Reverb channel strip.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Do they only have one reverb mix because reverb is computationally intensive?

it sure is, those DSP ships are not very powerfull.
my older Motu device also cannot produce more than one reverb type at once.
in my device you can throw any input, mix or output at it though

carat

How do I determine the maximum safe voltage for the rear TRS inputs of the UltraLite-mk5? The "max level in" spec is 24dBu, so is it as simple as converting that to volts (i.e. 12.27v)?

The only time it specifically mentions voltage in the manual is: "All analog inputs and outputs can be calibrated to support a variety of standards, including EBU-R68, SMPTE RP-155, +4dBu, -10dBv, 2vRMS and 1vRMS."

I want to connect a 3vRMS source.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
How do I determine the maximum safe voltage for the rear TRS inputs of the UltraLite-mk5? The "max level in" spec is 24dBu, so is it as simple as converting that to volts (i.e. 12.27v)?

The only time it specifically mentions voltage in the manual is: "All analog inputs and outputs can be calibrated to support a variety of standards, including EBU-R68, SMPTE RP-155, +4dBu, -10dBv, 2vRMS and 1vRMS."

I want to connect a 3vRMS source.

The meter on the display will show you if it clips

SSDT

Hi,

Reading some of the messages above, it looks like this is a good place to ask about software compatibility. I bought a mk5 some months ago for remote recording along with a laptop, and it has been great. So great in fact, that I would like to use it in the studio. The problem is I still have windows 7 on that machine. I installed the drivers and cuemix on it with no errors. With Reaper, I can record and play through all channels, but Cuemix5 does not connect to the mk5. Is there any way to use Cuemix5 with windows 7? Is this a websocket issue?

Thanks

Top Bottom