• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth receiver > toslink > motu (in) > computer > motu (out)

Or, what I probably will use:
Bluetooth receiver > analog > motu (in) > computer > motu (out)

I just played around with this a bit. I believe you want to implement an active DSP system in your computer? If so the approach described below will work. If you just want to route inputs to outputs without DSP you can setup the routing in Cuemix alone and it will be a bit simpler.

This is on a mac but should be similar for a PC. I used Cuemix to set my Loopback source as "USB Out Main 1-2" with the Loopback Location set to "USB In 9-10". I then setup a CamillaDSP mixer to route "USB In 9-10" (input channels 8 and 9 in CamillaDSP since the channel count starts at 0) as my input routed to my desired outputs. This allows me to play audio from the mac to the main output channels and then have it distributed to my desired output channels for an active setup.

As a test I took an old apple airport express acting as an airplay streamer and routed the analog outputs to analog input 1-2 of the MOTU. In the CamillaDSP mixer I then added additional steps to route "Analog In 1-2" (input channels 0 and 1 in CamillaDSP) to my desired output channels.

With this setup I can play music from my mac AND stream to the airport express at the same time. No need to switch clock sources on the MOTU or capture devices in CamillaDSP.

Michael

Last edited:

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just played around with this a bit. I believe you want to implement an active DSP system in your computer? If so the approach described below will work. If you just want to route inputs to outputs without DSP you can setup the routing in Cuemix alone and it will be a bit simpler.

This is on a mac but should be similar for a PC. I used Cuemix to set my Loopback source as "USB Out Main 1-2" with the Loopback Location set to "USB In 9-10". I then setup a CamillaDSP mixer to route "USB In 9-10" (input channels 8 and 9 in CamillaDSP since the channel count starts at 0) as my input routed to my desired outputs. This allows me to play audio from the mac to the main output channels and then have it distributed to my desired output channels for an active setup.

As a test I took an old apple airport express acting as an airplay streamer and routed the analog outputs to analog input 1-2 of the MOTU. In the CamillaDSP mixer I then added additional steps to route "Analog In 1-2" (input channels 0 and 1 in CamillaDSP) to my desired output channels.

With this setup I can play music from my mac AND stream to the airport express at the same time. No need to switch clock sources on the MOTU or capture devices in CamillaDSP.

Michael
Wow Michael, thank you for being so kind and helpful! I will try your solutions, but it will be a while before I have the time.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm getting higher noise floor for frequencies below 1kHz on this Ultralite MK5, when SE output is being used (cold tied to ground or cold floating), as compared with my Motu M4 before. Does this UL MK5 DAC measures slightly worse than the M4 DAC?

Last edited:

Grooved

I'm getting higher noise floor for frequencies below 1kHz on this Ultralite MK5, when SE output is being used (cold tied to ground or cold floating), as compared with my Motu M4 before. Does this UL MK5 DAC measures slightly worse than the M4 DAC?
Hi, both DAC parts have been reviewed here:
M4: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757
Ultralite MK5: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...tu-ultralite-mk5-review-audio-interface.24777

At 1kHz, the Ultralite MK5 has mainly less distorsion than the M4, not less noise. So the Ultralite MK5 gets a better SINAD too than the M4.
And certainly even more higher as I just realized that Amir measured the M4 at 5.2V instead of 4.2V (which improves results)

Now, it shouldn't be in the audible range, but in the Multitone test, the M4 gets indeed less distorsion in low frequencies than the Ultralite MK5 (but this gets better results as frequency is increasing). I don't know if it has been done at max output level like in the 1kHz test of the M4

M4
index.php

Ultralite MK5
index.php

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

When you say increased noise floor, audibly or on a measurement?

I have a 1st gen M4 and a 1st gen Mk5 and find that the M4 has a slightly lower noise floor on measurements but they are not audibly different. Although this could be due to natural variation in devices as they are both within about a dB of each other in terms of 4 V dynamic range.

Should also note I only use balanced outputs on each and single ended outputs will always be a bit of crapshoot in terms of system noise.

For reference here are FFTs for 1 kHz at 2 mV output level for each as measured by a grade B Cosmos ADC in stereo mode at 1.7 V input setting.

M4
m4_2mvout_1.7vadc_stereo.png

Mk5
ultralitemk5_2mvout_1.7vadc_stereo.png

Michael

192kbps

I heard that MK5 is divided into 2021 version and 2022 version. The 2022 version has better performance. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

Grooved

The problem with values shown like, for an "analog loopback", is that it's only worth if you need to use it like that (sending the signal out, going through a analog device, and getting it back). The value will be the lowest between the ADC side and the DAC side, but you don't know which one is the lowest.

So, for a more common use, it would be better to check the values for both ADC and DAC separately.

Pancreas

My motu mk5 is showing as Motu gen 5 ethernet on network adapters?

why

and as unidentified network connected

charlielaub

This sort of thing has been reported before in this very thread. See:
Evidently the USB connection to the local computer functions both as USB-audio and USB-ethernet. Supposedly it is for a future networking capability that has not yet been fully utilized. But: see also:
More interesting info from a comment at the end of the previous linked page:
For the sake of completeness, I read in this forum that, if your UltraLite is connected to a Windows or macOS machine, you can connect to it remotely using the machine's address (or network name) and port 1281. You just have to enter that in the "IP connect" area in the welcome screen of Cue Mix 5

Pancreas

How can I disable that? lol

is it ok to go to network connections and disable it? would it affect the interface functionality?

Last edited:

Pancreas

Unless MOTU software uses that for configuration, you could try disable the network device in Windows. Perhaps the MOTU driver has a dialog setting for this.

I disabled it and now I can't access CueMix. It says "waiting device to connect". I reenabled it and now have access.

charlielaub

If you are concerned about the access from the LAN or web, you might be able to block external access to port 1281 using firewall software. Set it so that your local machine can use that port but no traffic coming through the network can reach it.

Pancreas

If you are concerned about the access from the LAN or web, you might be able to block external access to port 1281 using firewall software. Set it so that your local machine can use that port but no traffic coming through the network can reach it.

concerned about what though, I think when my computer boots, there is internet, but the ethernet is before it and global world appear, then after a few seconds, the wifi bars appear i thought this ethernet was preventing my wifi connection or something

Also do you how long it takes for this interface to go into sleep mode?

Pancreas

Now since using this Motu interface Ive been having issues with my internet connection why does an interface acts an ethernet is so stupid

charlielaub

I think the reason you feel it is "stupid" is because you don't understand anything about it... The MOTU's ethernet connectivity on the localhost has nothing to do with your internet connection problems!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the reason you feel it is "stupid" is because you don't understand anything about it... The MOTU's ethernet connectivity on the localhost has nothing to do with your internet connection problems!

I wouldn’t be so sure. When I attempt to use the UL Mk5 on a raspberrry pi 4 running raspberry pi OS it knocks out the WiFi on the pi. I don’t have the issue on the same pi with different a different operating system (Ubuntu) or on Mac/PC but there does seem to be issues related to internet connectivity.

Not sure if this is what @Pancreas is seeing as the issue I observe is very obvious, internet works until I plug in the Mk5 and then the internet stops completely.

Michael

Top Bottom