• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
unknown.png

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You could probably do it with one of their AVB models like the 8A. They have a documented network API that AFAIK covers all the control options that can be used through their browser based GUI. Depending on how programmable your keyboard is you may be able to enter the commands directly, or write a small script to run them in sequence.

I had wondered whether the Ultralite Mk5 might expose the same controls somehow, but apparently not.

Bamboszek

I don't know how it works in mk5, but Ultralite-mk4 works like interfaces from motu AVB series - all configuration is done on web browser.
You simply connect to localhost:1280, configuration is also accessible from other devices in same network. It must somehow share network connection from host PC thru USB.
I'm thinking about making simple android app as remote for volume control.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is odd that the Mk5 does not have network control functionality when the older Ultralites do. When I was doing some troubleshooting with the Mk5 on a RPI4 @phofman noted that it was a combined USB-ethernet device. You can also see an option to enter an IP address in Cuemix but this does not seem do anything.

It seems like the underlying capability is there but has not been enabled.

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see from your dmesg content that it actually creates a network interface too. Did you try configuring it and connecting to it at all?

Only thing I've tried is entering the IP address of the interface in Cuemix (also tried using the Pi IP address) but it does not connect. Have not explored it further. Having the ability to change the clock source remotely would be beneficial as currently if you switch between USB, SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs you need to either manually change it on the MOTU itself or use Cuemix.

Michael

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Only thing I've tried is entering the IP address of the interface in Cuemix (also tried using the Pi IP address) but it does not connect. Have not explored it further. Having the ability to change the clock source remotely would be beneficial as currently if you switch between USB, SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs you need to either manually change it on the MOTU itself or use Cuemix.

Michael
When you say 'the IP address of the interface' which address do you mean? The address of the network device enx0001f2fff075 as presented on the Pi, or the address of the Ultralite at the other end of that virtual network cable? We've got an unfortunate overlap with different meanings for the word 'interface' in overlapping contexts. Also I'm guessing Cuemix was running on a different machine on the network, so did you configure the Pi to act as gateway between the networks?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say 'the IP address of the interface' which address do you mean? The address of the network device enx0001f2fff075 as presented on the Pi, or the address of the Ultralite at the other end of that virtual network cable? We've got an unfortunate overlap with different meanings for the word 'interface' in overlapping contexts. Also I'm guessing Cuemix was running on a different machine on the network, so did you configure the Pi to act as gateway between the networks?

Have not configured the Pi to do anything special and have also tried this with the MOTU connected to a Mac and trying to use another Mac or iPhone to connect via Cuemix.

The MOTU itself shows an IP address, see below.

IMG_7335.jpeg

Cuemix 5 gives an "IP Connect" option if you do not have anything connected via USB. You can enter an IP address here. This is where I tried the IP address shown on the MOTU display as well as the IP address of the connected computer.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 12.23.13 PM.png

The manual suggests that network functionality may be a feature in the future and gives no indication of how to use the "IP Connect" functionality. Maybe there is something that could be done on the backend before MOTU officially supports this but I am not interested in pursuing it given my lack of expertise in the area.

Michael

damamec574

Hi guys. Do you think the ESS hump problem @amirm comments is really audible? Would you still recommend the interface despite of this? How does it relate to other interfaces such as the Clarett? Does the Clarett for example also suffer from IMD problems?

henris

Have not configured the Pi to do anything special and have also tried this with the MOTU connected to a Mac and trying to use another Mac or iPhone to connect via Cuemix.

The MOTU itself shows an IP address, see below.

View attachment 172288
The 169.254.x.x addresses are so-called automatic private addresses assigned by the device itself which indicate that the device cannot connect to a dhcp-server to get a proper address. Normally you would see something beginning with 192.168. if using default settings in your network.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
bought a Traveler MK3 and destroyed it's firewire chip on first start by inserting the cable wrong lol.
a new chip is on the way, but finding someone who can solder this thing is not easy

carat

proxy-image

In a balanced connection Tip is normally (+) and ring is (-) with the sleeve grounded. So going into an unbalanced input they don't want the ring grounded out to sleeve (which is usually how such cables are made). So you'd want to disconnect the ring connection. Or that is how I read it.
That's less than convenient as floating ring cables seem to be pretty rare. I was just trying to find a 3.5mm TRS to 2x 1/4" TRS breakout cable and they seem nonexistent, let alone floating ring. 3.5mm TRS to 2x 1/4" TS cables, on the other hand, are everywhere. Probably going to have to make my own at this rate.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
That's less than convenient as floating ring cables seem to be pretty rare. I was just trying to find a 3.5mm TRS to 2x 1/4" TRS breakout cable and they seem nonexistent, let alone floating ring. 3.5mm TRS to 2x 1/4" TS cables, on the other hand, are everywhere. Probably going to have to make my own at this rate.
TRS-2xRCA cables are readily available. The white side connects to the positive pole, and the other pole is left floating. Female RCAs are preferred, so that the connectors are not touched by accident.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Sorry but English is not my strong point ... someone kindly explains to me what this wording in the manual means?

Quarter-inch line outputs are not cross-coupled. Therefore, when connecting them to an unbalanced input, use a TRS plug with the ring disconnected. Not floating the negative terminal will short it to the sleeve ground and cause distortion.

Which is the ring to be disconnected?

strange. my older Motu Traveler MK3 can be used unbalanced with simple TS connectors:

The quarter-inch analog inputs (5-8) and outputs (1-8) shown in Figure 4-4 are balanced (TRS) connectors that can also accept an unbalanced plug.

tecnogadget

Hi guys. Do you think the ESS hump problem @amirm comments is really audible? Would you still recommend the interface despite of this? How does it relate to other interfaces such as the Clarett? Does the Clarett for example also suffer from IMD problems?
ESS hump has never been an audible issue with any Dac. Its just a nerdy technical thing because between tho devices with same price and functionality you want to pay for the better one, thats it, it doesn’t mean you will hear it, nobody could discern by ear that bump as long as the overall distortion is as low as this one.

Grooved

strange. my older Motu Traveler MK3 can be used unbalanced with simple TS connectors:
I will look closer this thing, because I still have a 828 MK2, supposed to accept both like your Traveler, but even if I did not did a listening test, I saw that measurement software like DeltaWave can see a difference between the same source in unbalanced or balanced mode.
The loopback test done on Gearspace and processed in Deltawave with result on this page shows the same RMS difference with GS test and DeltaWave test for balanced and unbalanced, but the PK Metric is a lot higher in balanced.
I checked it as the one on Deltawave page is a unbalanced capture, so I did both and got 88 in unbalanced and 108 in balanced (which matches the Motu 2408 MK3 and 24I/O using same chips).
Need to check if it's audible now, I don't think on one capture, maybe once summing a lot of tracks captured like that...

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I will look closer this thing, because I still have a 828 MK2, supposed to accept both like your Traveler, but even if I did not did a listening test, I saw that measurement software like DeltaWave can see a difference between the same source in unbalanced or balanced mode.
The loopback test done on Gearspace and processed in Deltawave with result on this page shows the same RMS difference with GS test and DeltaWave test for balanced and unbalanced, but the PK Metric is a lot higher in balanced.
I checked it as the one on Deltawave page is a unbalanced capture, so I did both and got 88 in unbalanced and 108 in balanced (which matches the Motu 2408 MK3 and 24I/O using same chips).
Need to check if it's audible now, I don't think on one capture, maybe once summing a lot of tracks captured like that...

intresting Gearspace topic (a shame DeltaWave page couldn't include all tests). Motus seams to be a very good value.
now if we make the loopback test balanced vs unbalanced aren't we testing how much diference the noise cancelation of the balanced conection makes? How do you know the output port is the culprid for the diference?

Top Bottom