• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

Davide

I had measured it when I first got it but like I said I can't find the measurement at the moment.

Michael
Ok, if by any chance you find it let me know kindly.

If I can, I take this opportunity to ask you for information on the functionality of the card because the manual does not show ...

Is it possible to use the MK5 as an active crossover? I mean, can you play 2 channel music from Windows and use the MK5 to do routing to multiple outputs and apply individual filters and delays (and maybe even VST effects)?

redeyes

I can say with Cuemix you can apply Parametric EQ in 3 bands to any line output, headphone output, spdif, etc. There is also compression and reverb I believe. I personally run 6x studio monitors and 1x subwoofer AND a XLR based tube amp. All working at the same time. Cue mix does not have VST support that I've noticed but you would use a DAW app for that.

So yes I am using the Motu MK5 as an active x over. The Monitors are all x'd over around 80hz and then the subwoofer picks up that low end.

Davide

I can say with Cuemix you can apply Parametric EQ in 3 bands to any line output, headphone output, spdif, etc. There is also compression and reverb I believe. I personally run 6x studio monitors and 1x subwoofer AND a XLR based tube amp. All working at the same time. Cue mix does not have VST support that I've noticed but you would use a DAW app for that.

So yes I am using the Motu MK5 as an active x over. The Monitors are all x'd over around 80hz and then the subwoofer picks up that low end.

Ok thank you very much.
So no delay setting is available, correct?

redeyes

Yeah I can't find any delay settings but for the reverb:
1633618235393.png

Davide

Trell

Major Contributor
Ok thank you very much.
So no delay setting is available, correct?

Would be nice to have such a delay settings in audio interfaces as this would help synch the microphone with my camera that is connected with a HDMI-USB adapter (Elgato Cam Link 4K) as currently there is a slight delay.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be nice to have such a delay settings in audio interfaces as this would help synch the microphone with my camera that is connected with a HDMI-USB adapter (Elgato Cam Link 4K) as currently there is a slight delay.

I definitely agree! Having on-device delay is so useful and avoids having to round-trip to the host. I wish the RME ADI-2 also had a delay option.

There used to be standalone S/PDIF-in / S/PDIF-out boxes you could buy that allowed you to dial in a specific amount of delay, aimed mostly at people wanting to solve lipsync problems with the digital outs of their TVs, but they seem to be pretty hard to find these days. PartsExpress has stopped selling the one they used to sell.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, if by any chance you find it let me know kindly.

If I can, I take this opportunity to ask you for information on the functionality of the card because the manual does not show ...

Is it possible to use the MK5 as an active crossover? I mean, can you play 2 channel music from Windows and use the MK5 to do routing to multiple outputs and apply individual filters and delays (and maybe even VST effects)?
I stand corrected, it is minimum phase not linear phase.

1633620037657.png

You can use the Mk5 as a DAC in an active crossover with DSP implemented on a computer. As discussed elsewhere in this thread I am using CamillaDSP on a RPi to do that. I am not familiar with Windows audio but I am sure there are other software DSP solutions that will do all the routing, filtering and delay you need.

Michael

Davide

I can't find the information on the internet ... is possible to insert TRS to XLR adapters (direct without cable) adapters on the Ultralite outputs or there is not enough distance between connection?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find the information on the internet ... is possible to insert TRS to XLR adapters (direct without cable) adapters on the Ultralite outputs or there is not enough distance between connection?
No, there is not.

Davide

No, there is not.
Thank you.

Another slightly more difficult question ... I need to figure out what minimum impedance the outputs can drive, so I need to know what opamps are on the final stage. Someone has verified perhaps?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.

Another slightly more difficult question ... I need to figure out what minimum impedance the outputs can drive, so I need to know what opamps are on the final stage. Someone has verified perhaps?
What are you planning on driving with it? If you call Motu, they will easily be able to help even though I can't imagine that you're going to be using something that this will not match with.

Davide

What are you planning on driving with it? If you call Motu, they will easily be able to help even though I can't imagine that you're going to be using something that this will not match with.

I have a DIY preamp with -20 dB pad that has about 2.2k input impedance.
It's not overly low, but I wouldn't want to do any damage to the Ultralite.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a DIY preamp with -20 dB pad that has about 2.2k input impedance.
It's not overly low, but I wouldn't want to do any damage to the Ultralite.
How are you planning on running 8 channels through the preamp?

Davide

Davide

Then why are you getting an 8 channel dac?
6 (5.1) channels for home theater and 2 channels for stereo setup in second room.

Davide

I asked to MOTU technical support but they say they don't know... they just know that UL5 has 220 ohm output impedance.

However, I took the opportunity to ask for the implementation of the delay in future releases of CueMix. They say they wrote down the request.

Last edited:
Top Bottom