• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite Mk5, New Audio Interface Generation With New Drivers, USB-C & More

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the downgrades in CueMix 5, would TotalMix FX bring a lot more to the table as far as the DSP and routing is concerned?

If your intention is to use this as a multichannel DAC with a computer front end then you probably want to do all your routing and DSP on the computer. Earlier in this thread there were comparisons with the onboard EQ and other DSP functions that were more limiting than previous hardware but that is more a concern if you are a musician and not using it for home audio. This omitted functionality was moved over to the Cuemix software which has mostly improved in my opinion.

Effects are disabled at 4x sample rates (176.4 or 192 kHz), could be a deal breaker?

I believe this only applies to the onboard effects. Shouldn't be any limitations with any processing coming from your computer.

Taswegian

If your intention is to use this as a multichannel DAC with a computer front end then you probably want to do all your routing and DSP on the computer. Earlier in this thread there were comparisons with the onboard EQ and other DSP functions that were more limiting than previous hardware but that is more a concern if you are a musician and not using it for home audio. This omitted functionality was moved over to the Cuemix software which has mostly improved in my opinion.

I believe this only applies to the onboard effects. Shouldn't be any limitations with any processing coming from your computer.
True, I was wanting to use it for live streaming and as a stand alone unit for live performance as well as DAW recording though. I'm a guitarist/vocalist.

Last edited:

Taswegian

Effects are disabled at 4x sample rates (176.4 or 192 kHz), could be a deal breaker?
So the ability for RME UCX to enable DSP at 4X sample rates over the MOTO is due to shortcomings of the processor in the MOTU Ultralight Mk5? Is this a similar trend with higher end MOTU units, or more specifically with the Ultralight Mk V?

Taswegian

Just work at 48K if you need that stuff. You won't be able to hear a difference.
Reckon you might have a point, for all intended uses, except perhaps the need to monitor with DSP at 4X sample rates when recording into a DAW.

Last edited:

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
may be, anyone know, what ADC and pre-amp chip's MOTU used in UltraLite-mk5 ?
If you watch Julian Krause's review linked above, it shows that that the ADC chip is AK5578EN.

timreeves

Did anyone find out whether this unit works as a multichannel device in windows audio for 5.1 or 7.1? Motu haven't replied to my question in weeks.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Did anyone find out whether this unit works as a multichannel device in windows audio for 5.1 or 7.1? Motu haven't replied to my question in weeks.
Do you currently own a mark five? I apologize if I missed that in the thread. The reason I ask, is your question may get a little more juice if you submit it as a registered owner as opposed to being a general inquiry submitted by email or a public webpage intake form.

timreeves

Do you currently own a mark five? I apologize if I missed that in the thread. The reason I ask, is your question may get a little more juice if you submit it as a registered owner as opposed to being a general inquiry submitted by email or a public webpage intake form.
i don't, i bought and then returned an M4 as it wouldnt do true multichannel on it's 4 outputs, sadly i didnt register it before returning. locking techical questions behind a paywall for a technical product where users are likely to have massively varying needs is one of the most braindead business decisions i've ever seen.

Top Bottom