• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 latency and firmware update problems

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Just bought a Motu M4 and want to use it to add effects (compression and reverb) while jamming. Its connected to a windows 10 machine. Ive tried using both the included Performer software, and audacity with 1 track and no plugins. The loop thru latency sounds like 100ms. Changing the sample rate or buffer size (which are both supposed to make a difference) in the motu driver does nothing. Ive used a audio latency app that tests the computer and it says its fine. Motu says "upgrade the firmware" but when I put the M4 into update mode the driver dosnt see the M4 anymore so you can't update it!? I bought this to replace a 20 year old Digi01 and a 15 year old Mac (power supply quit) that could use a dozen effects real time with no noticeable delay. Ive spent too many hours already but willing to try some more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
C

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Finaly got somewhere. Short loop thru less ticks and pops. The Motu driver needed to be set to ASIO. And it had to be set in Performer, the same place the project sample rate is set. In the set up hardware menu. It dosnt come up with there driver window that opens everytime I turn on the M4 where it should be. Motu makes it sound like plug and play, its not. What bugs me is I spent hours trying to find that info. Its not in the 600 page manual, I finaly found it in a youtube video! Not sure how you would do that if your Just using it as a Dac. Hope this helps others.

Top Bottom