• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU M4 interest?

lc155

True - only issue is that as @Minigun explained in Windows M4 shows as two separate audio devices - one for 1-2 output (volume controlled) and another for 3-4 output (line out at max power), while on MacOS Motu M4 shows up as a single 4-output device where only channels 1-2 play system audio. With some additional virtual device software it should be possible to route system audio to both 1-2 and 3-4 outputs. Probably in Audio MIDI Settings / Configure speakers it would be possible to set Left and Right to be channel 3 and 4 but this won't be very convenient.

I'm choosing to stick with M2 for the moment, it works very well for balanced monitors and unbalanced headphone amp. As long as you remember to turn down the volume down when using studio monitors.

Fair enough. I personally hate the faff of having to remember to turn down the volume when unplugging headphones when it comes to *any* speaker amp that just doesn't do this functionality, and it always bothers me!

A pity that MacOS doesn't work properly via that route, though.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I figured out a way that Motu M4 on MacOS might have a similar experience as on Windows of having separate devices for output 1-2 and 3-4 without any additional software. I tested it with other 4 output devices and it works fine, but I don't have M4 to confirm for sure it would work.

Here's how to do it:
In "Audio MIDI Settings" click "+" button on the bottom, then "Create Aggregate Device". Check only M4 audio device, then "Configure Speakers" button and select "Out 3" and "Out 4" for left and right speaker. You can rename this device as "M4 line-out" and now you can use it as a system output and it will go to 3-4 line out only.

It would be great if someone with Motu M4 and MacOS can confirm if this works as expected.

CerealKiller

Hi, i have a quesiton for Windows M4 users, since the OS sees two sepárate devices, is it pos ible to make 3&4 output the same audio as 1&2 ?

CerealKiller

I have the M4. I use its mic preamps to record grand piano with two small-diaphragm omnidirectional microphones. I have also used it with small-diaphragm and large-diaphragm cardioids for vocals. The preamps are significantly hotter than my old UR22, but I don't own any dynamic microphones to comment on how well it does there without a Cloudlifter.

I remember using a Khadas toneboard in conjunction with my UR22 and M4 to do some hacky measurements. I no longer have that data and due to coronavirus I no longer have access to my Khadas and UR22, but my conclusion at the time was that the M4's DAC and ADC are far superior to the UR22.

I had also concluded at the time that the M4's mic preamps had a small to zero noise advantage over the UR22 for a given output level. However, I realize retrospectively that I was comparing with the mic plugged in and phantom power on, so microphone self-noise was being taken into account.

In terms of headphone output, I was sending the M4's RCA output to an Atom because the JDS Labs Atom sounded better to me with my DCA Aeon 2 Closed and my LCD2C Closed. There's most definitely bias at play, but hey, if bias can make something sound better with the gear I already have, then why not use it :D
I am currently using my M4's line outs with a pair of JBL 705Ps (for those wondering, no, I have no trouble with F#5).
Is that on Windows? Do rca 3&4 output the same audio as 1/4" 1&2 ? My intenton is to hook 1&2 balanced outs to a pair of jbl 305 and 3&4 single ended to a atom amp. Would like both devices to play the same tho.

philosobyte

Is that on Windows? Do rca 3&4 output the same audio as 1/4" 1&2 ? My intenton is to hook 1&2 balanced outs to a pair of jbl 305 and 3&4 single ended to a atom amp. Would like both devices to play the same tho.
RCA 3 and 4 do not output the same audio as 1 and 2, but RCA 1 and 2 exist. I had balanced 1/4" outputs 1 and 2 going to my JBL LSR305, then I had RCA outputs 1 and 2 going to my Atom amp. Both 1/4" and RCA can output at the same time.

Rickydenim

I recently got some new studio monitors (Focal Shape 50) and have been using RCA 1/2 output as I didn't have any balanced cables. Today I received some Mogami XLR-TRS cables and I noticed that using balanced, it's about 5db or so quieter than it was via the RCA outputs. Is that normal? I would have thought balanced would be a higher output?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Focal Shape 50 specs:
Inputs/ Impedance
XLR: balanced 10kOhms
RCA: unbalanced 10kOhms with sensitivity compensation
I reckon RCA input sensitivity on these guys is going to be either 6 or 12 dB higher than for XLR.

RCA output on the M4 seems to be 6 dB lower than balanced TRS as is often the case, so given your findings I'd say the XLR input is 12 dB less sensitive - which is the difference between nominal -10 dBV consumer and +4 dBu pro levels.

lc155

I recently got some new studio monitors (Focal Shape 50) and have been using RCA 1/2 output as I didn't have any balanced cables. Today I received some Mogami XLR-TRS cables and I noticed that using balanced, it's about 5db or so quieter than it was via the RCA outputs. Is that normal? I would have thought balanced would be a higher output?

That's pretty handy to know, as the Shape Twins are known for being quite sensitive compared to the rest of the line, so balanced would give me some more headroom with the volume dial.

Rickydenim

Focal Shape 50 specs:

I reckon RCA input sensitivity on these guys is going to be either 6 or 12 dB higher than for XLR.

RCA output on the M4 seems to be 6 dB lower than balanced TRS as is often the case, so given your findings I'd say the XLR input is 12 dB less sensitive - which is the difference between nominal -10 dBV consumer and +4 dBu pro levels.
Thanks for that, makes sense! It's no bad thing, these speakers are loud. I would only JUST turn the dial on the M4 and it was above 'quiet', so with XLR it's easier to dial in.

On an unrelated note, one my speakers has a lot of white noise - not present on the other speaker. I thought initially it was due to the RCA connections but now switching to XLR the other one is very quiet. Damn it!

lc155

Thanks for that, makes sense! It's no bad thing, these speakers are loud. I would only JUST turn the dial on the M4 and it was above 'quiet', so with XLR it's easier to dial in.

On an unrelated note, one my speakers has a lot of white noise - not present on the other speaker. I thought initially it was due to the RCA connections but now switching to XLR the other one is very quiet. Damn it!

Well, if the interface is the issue it's a lot easier to replace that than a speaker I'd say!

skiiver

I figured out a way that Motu M4 on MacOS might have a similar experience as on Windows of having separate devices for output 1-2 and 3-4 without any additional software. I tested it with other 4 output devices and it works fine, but I don't have M4 to confirm for sure it would work.

Here's how to do it:
In "Audio MIDI Settings" click "+" button on the bottom, then "Create Aggregate Device". Check only M4 audio device, then "Configure Speakers" button and select "Out 3" and "Out 4" for left and right speaker. You can rename this device as "M4 line-out" and now you can use it as a system output and it will go to 3-4 line out only.

It would be great if someone with Motu M4 and MacOS can confirm if this works as expected.
Way back to resurrect this post, but I can confirm this works on Mac (current: Sonoma) with a Motu M4.

I only have one mic, but wanted the M4 so I could output line-level balanced to my solid-state amp and RCAs to a tube amp setup at the same time. Found though that only the monitor-out connections (1 / 2 RCA and TRS) work natively on Mac. But by creating an Aggregate Audio device as above and selecting it as the Audio Out device I get the desired line-level outputs from the M4 to both headphone amps from the respective balanced and SE outputs.

Top Bottom