• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

jean-benoit

the evo 8 seems to have everything i need and is very portable. does somebody know how it compares to the Motu (sound, latency)?

jean-benoit

...found a great youtube review about headphone output of different audio interfaces.

evo 8 and Motu M2 seems to perform very good overall. quite impressive.
do i loose a lot of audio quality if i split the signal of one headphone output or if i use line outputs 3/4 for driving a headphone?

jean-benoit

i did found something annoying about the EVO 8:
"If you plug your headphones in it mutes the monitors and the only way to hear through your monitors again is to unplug the headphones."

is this true?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What's the difference between the M2 and M4 if i only use it as a DAC and volume control for studio monitors

AllanDavidson

AFAIK, they are identical units, the only difference being the I/O and the fact that M4 offer a loopback control at panel.

Motu M2 have 2 inputs and 2 outputs
- 2x XRL Combo inputs on front panel
- 2x RCA/TRS outputs on rear panel

Motu M4 have 4 inputs and 4 outputs
- 2x XRL Combo inputs on front panel
- 2x TRS inputs on back panel
- 4x RCA/TRS outputs on back panel

Fickle1

Hello all. First post here and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. How does the Motu M2 compare to the Tossing E30 as a DAC?

I am new to all of this and currently have a Sennheiser HD 6XX with a Topping L30 but no DAC or ADC.

I don't have a need for additional inputs, just the desire to have a great DAC and a good input for a future XLR MIC.

As a beginner, If I get the M2 will I later wish I had gotten the E30? Thanks.

AllanDavidson

Hello all. First post here and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. How does the Motu M2 compare to the Tossing E30 as a DAC?

I am new to all of this and currently have a Sennheiser HD 6XX with a Topping L30 but no DAC or ADC.

I don't have a need for additional inputs, just the desire to have a great DAC and a good input for a future XLR MIC.

As a beginner, If I get the M2 will I later wish I had gotten the E30? Thanks.

You can read Amir's reviews on E30.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/

DAC wise: Considering E30 is a dedicated DAC and just a tad cheaper than the M2 (Full Interface), it is expected that the E30 outperforms the M2 as a DAC, as it does. At 2Vrms the Topping is a little cleaner than the Motu (and at higher frequencies too), but the Motu also delivers +5vrms, which helps in dynamic range (but a small difference aswell).

Now, both DAC performances are beyond human hearing discerning, so in the end it doesn't matter much.

Your L30 is far better that Motu's headphone amp. Not that Motu amp is bad, it is great, but the L30 is just ludicrous.

Do you need the Mic/Inst inputs? Do you need the pre-amps? Do you need the phantom power? Do you need the MIDI routing? If yes, the Motu is the answer. If not, it is up to you.

Fickle1

You can read Amir's reviews on E30.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/

DAC wise: Considering E30 is a dedicated DAC and just a tad cheaper than the M2 (Full Interface), it is expected that the E30 outperforms the M2 as a DAC, as it does. At 2Vrms the Topping is a little cleaner than the Motu (and at higher frequencies too), but the Motu also delivers +5vrms, which helps in dynamic range (but a small difference aswell).

Now, both DAC performances are beyond human hearing discerning, so in the end it doesn't matter much.

Your L30 is far better that Motu's headphone amp. Not that Motu amp is bad, it is great, but the L30 is just ludicrous.

Do you need the Mic/Inst inputs? Do you need the pre-amps? Do you need the phantom power? Do you need the MIDI routing? If yes, the Motu is the answer. If not, it is up to you.

Thank you for the info. I have read the review, which is why I have the questions. In the near future I plan on upgrading my MIC to an XLR one and I may or may not need phantom (mic undecided yet). I don't have a use for MIDI. This would mainly be a streaming setup. I also want very good audio for just general music listening. If the M2 in practice (not on paper) sounds as good as the E30 as a DAC for this purpose, then I am fine with the M2. I just don't want to regret getting this setup and being disappointed in the future. I am ok with spending a bit more money if there is something better for my use, but I don't want to spend 3-4x for marginal improvements.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Since you already own a good headphone amp, you will have a great many audio interfaces to choose from. Even otherwise problematic candidates like Steinberg UR22C (high output impedance) or Focusrite Scarlett Solo (bad low-impedance driving, no hardware volume - that's 2i2 up only) would lend themselves to having an amp plugged into their headphone out to make up for their weaknesses. In this scenario, no more than moderately good DAC / output performance is required, and the dynamic range of a CS4272 will do absolutely fine.

You can pretty much go by "everything else" in this case. I do know that there are devices out there specifically geared towards podcasting, which has somewhat different demands than music recording. These may warrant a greater cash outlay than $110-200 due to features alone, in terms of quality it should not be necessary however. I would put extra funds towards a decent microphone plus accessories and sound treatment instead (even a fairly basic LDC can be EQ'd to sound like a million bucks if need be, but the best mic in the world is going to sound bad with toilet acoustics and ousy placement).

Kane1972

I wonder how the Tascam 2x2hr compares? It’s cheaper than the Motu but has no meters etc. then there’s the 4x4hr and Tascam 102i about the same price. Then the 208i (the one I’d like) that is more expensive but still cheap for what you get.

Last edited:

Kane1972

In fact, Motu M4 is about £250 in UK, so the 208i is only £50-60 more.

AllanDavidson

However, I went to read the old spec sheet for my Konnekt 6 here and it states at the bottom of the pdf:

Headphone Output:
Power @ 40 Ohm Load: 200 mW
Power @ 600 Ohm Load: 93 mW

Am i missing something here or did this oldie just happen to have a very powerful headphone out? It's making me second guess the upgrade. Using HD600's.

I would say that no, the Motu has a very weak Headphone Amp instead. It simply pales compared to a $99 amp like the JDS Atom.

Motu@300ohm = 18mW
Atom@300ohm = 250mW

Motu@33ohm = 24mW
Atom@33ohm = 1100mW

Motu Headphone Amp is so weak it didn't even made the 50mV required to get in the 600ohm ranking

Last edited:

bequietjk

Can't wait for my TRS/XLR cables to come in. So far the Motu M2 has been super nice to have on my desk. And the preamps to my ears provide better output for my recording than my UMC404HD could.

Highly appreciate this review, Amir! I can't count how many times this site has helped me in my audio journey!

Damian

Hello guys,

I just got a Motu M4 coming from a Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen. I do understand the front inputs are TRS mono and not stereo? I cannot make it work as stereo.

And secondly and more important, while driving my Adam T8V, the focusrite seems to have more power than the Motu, which is a bit annoying.. any ideas? I can barely loud enough when I crank the volume all up playing music from windows (yes the windows master volume is 100).

bequietjk

@Damian Good day!

Are you using balanced TRS output on Motu M4 connected to your Adam T8V? I see the T8V accepts XLR input. This should help with getting the most volume.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I just got a Motu M4 coming from a Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen. I do understand the front inputs are TRS mono and not stereo? I cannot make it work as stereo.
Hello! M4 has similar TRS plugs like the Scarlett, so you can reuse existing balanced TRS to XLR cables you already have.

BTW, TS = mono, while TRS = stereo. However, double check if the TRS plugs are plugged-in till the max., without last 1 or 2 mm left unplugged.

And secondly and more important, while driving my Adam T8V, the focusrite seems to have more power than the Motu, which is a bit annoying.. any ideas? I can barely loud enough when I crank the volume all up playing music from windows (yes the windows master volume is 100).
At 2 o'clock volume knob, Scarlett might have an output volume a bit higher than M4, but this is due to a different way of controlling the volume (M4 is having digital volume). What's important is that both interfaces can output more than 4 V RMS, so you should be able to correctly drive your Adams.

dfuller

Major Contributor
BTW, TS = mono, while TRS = stereo. However, double check if the TRS plugs are plugged-in till the max., without last 1 or 2 mm left unplugged.
In this case the inputs on the front are TRS balanced mono, not unbalanced stereo.

Damian

Hello! M4 has similar TRS plugs like the Scarlett, so you can reuse existing balanced TRS to XLR cables you already have.

At 2 o'clock volume knob, Scarlett might have an output volume a bit higher than M4, but this is due to a different way of controlling the volume (M4 is having digital volume). What's important is that both interfaces can output more than 4 V RMS, so you should be able to correctly drive your Adams.

Thanks for the quick reply, as dfuller said, the inputs at the front are TRS Balanced Mono, so I'll have to use the back line inputs.

As for the volume, now is late, but I'll try again tomorrow and reply back.. I felt as the M4 was lacking power.

As for the headphone jack it can drive the HD6XX without a problem at around 2 o clock position. On contrast my Soncoz balanced dac + THX 789 is at 11 o clock on the high setting.

I do wonder, what do you think guys if I sell the rest and stay with the Motu M4 as an all in one unit to declutter my desktop? I'll try to compare them but will appreciate other inputs. My source is Spotify Premium.. nothing fancy.

Damian

@Damian Good day!

Are you using balanced TRS output on Motu M4 connected to your Adam T8V? I see the T8V accepts XLR input. This should help with getting the most volume.

Yes, exactly like that TRS balanced to XLR... it was the same in the Focusrite!

dfuller

Major Contributor
Top Bottom