• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

LearningToSmile

You could have used the built-in headphone output as an additional analog output connected to a headphone amplifier.
No need to even do that pretty sure, because the reason I specifically considered the M4 over the M2 is that it has two sets of balanced outputs: one able to function as a pre-out while other functions as a line-out - so I could use it for a set of powered monitors while still having a separate headphone amp connected. In the end I just went with an all-in solution since I had other budget priorities, and decided against getting an XLR mic for the time being.

sharpty

No need to even do that pretty sure, because the reason I specifically considered the M4 over the M2 is that it has two sets of balanced outputs: one able to function as a pre-out while other functions as a line-out - so I could use it for a set of powered monitors while still having a separate headphone amp connected.

This is how I use my M4. Line out 3/4 RCA to a Liquid Spark. TRS 1/2 to JBL 305's. There's no physical volume control on output 3/4 so it's perfect for running into an amp. Since I can't find any data on the max input level for the liquid spark, I turn the windows volume down to 90% to make sure i'm not over driving the amp.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Excellent review @amirm

The Motu seems to be a bargain and is well equipped too. Most of these interfaces are adapting a defacto layout too- it's remarkably similar looking to the Focusrite. Gotta like those meters.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent review @amirm

The Motu seems to be a bargain and is well equipped too. Most of these interfaces are adapting a defacto layout too- it's remarkably similar looking to the Focusrite. Gotta like those meters.
Pfffft. For the price they should call the coppers when people walk out of the store with it. :D

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No reason, other than it is going into a miniDSP SHD and that is the SHD resolution. What would you suggest?

The smaller file size of 16bit/44.1kHz would probably suit you better, that's all, IMO. Since you're not upsampling vinyl.

That's a big task though, so I have to admit, I don't envy you. However, I can appreciate you getting ahead of their certain demise to preserve them.

That said, kudos to Motu for doing a solid job in such a low price bracket. That hump though...man...it's exhausting already.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The smaller file size of 16bit/44.1kHz would probably suit you better, that's all, IMO. Since you're not upsampling vinyl.
You can always resample / dither afterwards (good resamplers are not uncommon these days, even Audacity has one). Recording in hi-res mainly is just a safeguard against the ultrasonic garbage that vinyl playback can produce, it's an old trick particularly for using lesser quality ADCs with limited digital filter performance. More upscale ADCs were generally fine from 48k up even 10-15 years ago.

matt3421

does anyone know if the HD598 is efficient enough for this interface?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the HD 598SR for hours per day and I drive them off a 50mA IC type motherboard amp. I use the middle power setting because it's just too loud on the high setting. You should be OK. They work well on the cel tel too.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use hd 598 with this interface and it gets louder than any sane person could want.

starfly

Forum Donor
Ah, nice to see a review of this unit. Have one sitting on my desktop and use it to drive my JBL LSR305 speakers, and sometimes my headphones. And sometimes I use a mic with it.

Excellent unit, especially for the price. And Motu provides good drivers as well, it's been rock solid so far with zero issues. Comparing against Focusrite, I sometimes got blue screens with Focusrite.

Can highly recommend the M4!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any easy way to use the four channels as 2.2 with a crossover for all pc sound?

3125b

Major Contributor
Impressive performance - the excellent balanced DAC alone would be a good deal for 220$.
I think it should have received a golfing panther.

Promit

I switched from the Scarlett to one of these last year. Honestly I just wanted the shiny VUs as it's so much easier to dial in levels - I have a Fractal AX8 going into the XLRs up front 90% of the time with my PC running through USB. Now I'm even more thrilled that I made the switch. I don't think the Adam T7V I use to monitor (and also love) are anywhere close to how clean this interface is.

Reactions: Tks

TNT

The filter is judged as "very nice" but I would like to remind the audience that according to the sample theorem in order to recreate a perfect wave, all inofrmation above FS/2 must be filtered away. Here, 22,05khz is only 12 db down... So technically, this is far from excellent. "Very nice" would be say 130 dB down.

Motu M4 4 channel Audio Interface DAC Filter Audio Measurements.png

//

mshenay

Nuuuuu, I've been needing to move to an Interface! So many things to buy sooo little time, ugh wonderful review tho and thank you as always!

Tks

Major Contributor
The filter is judged as "excellent" but I would like to remind the audience that according to the sample theorem in order to recreate a perfect wave, all inofrmation above FS/2 must be filtered away. Here, 22,05khz is only 10 db down... So technically, this is far from excellent. Excellent would be say 130 dB down.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...face-dac-filter-audio-measurements-png.81059/

//

I'm with you on that. I just don't think people care. I mean it's kinda easy not to care for a device in this price point and feature-set. But it's not like the companies themselves are making the filters, it's a choice within the chip itself. They just chose wrong (ESS actually has proper filters, while AKM doesn't for some reason due to "technicalities" as someone I spoke with on this forum talked about once).

Also people don't seem to care because they feel it's inaudible and such.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The filter is judged as "very nice" but I would like to remind the audience that according to the sample theorem in order to recreate a perfect wave, all inofrmation above FS/2 must be filtered away. Here, 22,05khz is only 12 db down... So technically, this is far from excellent. "Very nice" would be say 130 dB down.

View attachment 81178

//
That would require major phase shift?

Top Bottom