• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

raindoggeorge

Headphone amp is plenty loud enough for me with Sennheiser HD 58x.
Happy to see that as I have HD 58x and I am thinking of getting M4.
Any other opinion on this combination?
Anyone tried an external headphone amp via line-out, and if yes, noticed any difference with HD 58x ?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is anyone using this as a 4 channel DAC for speaker and subwoofer integration?

I don't need a 4 channel DAC yet but when I get a second sub I'll need some device to adjust delay and so on.
Getting a minidsp just for that task is a bit overkill imho since I use room correction via EqAPO for correcting the whole system anyways.

Which I basically plan to do is:
-high pass for 1&2 (speakers)
-low pass for 3&4 (subs) with individual delay
-PEQ filters (and maybe FIR filters) to correct the whole system

The M4 isstill the least expensive option to do that but I'm unsure how safe it is to adjust volume via windows and having no hardware volume for channel 3&4 whatsoever.
Controlling the software volume has the advantage to use a remote with a flirc though.

Apart from the topping DM7 and Oktodac there are no devices with hardware volume and a remote...

igfarm

Is anyone using this as a 4 channel DAC for speaker and subwoofer integration?
I am using the Motu that way, however connected to raspberry pi with camilladsp on it. Use it as a Roon and Spotify endpoints. Nice writeup on camilladsp on another thread. No volume issues as mostly use digital volume from corresponding apps.

juliangst

I am using the Motu that way, however connected to raspberry pi with camilladsp on it. Use it as a Roon and Spotify endpoints. Nice writeup on camilladsp on another thread. No volume issues as mostly use digital volume from corresponding apps.
I read through that thread a couple of times.
I‘m using a Pi running moode with CamillaDSP when I don’t want to start my PC.
I really like CamillaDSP but I’ll mainly be using windows.
A raspberry pi is good for music streaming but a pc is obviously better for watching movies, YouTube and do measurements and correction on the same device.

The only thing that holds me back from getting the M4 is the reliability of the windows volume.
I can imagine the volume getting stuck or laggy when heavy loads like games or programs are running which could be devastating for this speaker+sub setup.

Am I too paranoid here? Is the windows volume safe to use in that kind of setup?

chuckt62

Editor
I do 1/2 on the subs and use their LP filter and 3/4 w/HP on the mains via CamillaDSP.
That way I can use the phones jack with full range and apply AutoEQ also via CamillaDSP.

cheapsoundguy

I have an RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE which only has line-level inputs (no mic preamps). I was thinking of adding a Motu UltraLite-Mk5 or a M-Audio Air 192 | 6 as basically a Preamp (and using the RME as the USB / recording interface). I am impressed with both of these boxes as they appear basically transparent and a good match with the RME.

Is that crazy? Should I get a dedicated preamp box instead? What would you recommend that is transparent?

Trell

Major Contributor
I have an RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE which only has line-level inputs (no mic preamps). I was thinking of adding a Motu UltraLite-Mk5 or a M-Audio Air 192 | 6 as basically a Preamp (and using the RME as the USB / recording interface). I am impressed with both of these boxes as they appear basically transparent and a good match with the RME.

Is that crazy? Should I get a dedicated preamp box instead? What would you recommend that is transparent?
You could connect the Motu UltraLite Mk5 to the ADI-2 Pro with ADAT or TOSLINK for the DA conversion while still using the Motu as an interface for recording via USB.

This is what I do with my ADI-2 DAC FS that is connected to a RME Fireface UCX II. Using the ADI-2 as a recording interface means I will loose so much functionality that UCX II offers, and I guess the same goes for the Motu.

Last edited:

cheapsoundguy

You could connect the Motu UltraLite Mk5 to the ADI-2 Pro with ADAT or TOSLINK for the DA conversion while still using the Motu as an interface for recording via USB.

This is what I do with my ADI-2 DAC FS that is connected to a RME Fireface UCX II. Using the ADI-2 as a recording interface means I will loose so much functionality that UCX II offers, and I guess the same goes for the Motu.
Right but then I’m not getting the benefit of the Rme AD converter, right?

Trell

Major Contributor
Then you’ll need a mic preamp that is analog from input to output, or you’ll get an AD/DA conversion before analogue input to your ADI-2 Pro. You still have to choose a mic preamp that is good as well.

cheapsoundguy

Then you’ll need a mic preamp that is analog from input to output, or you’ll get an AD/DA conversion before analogue input to your ADI-2 Pro. You still have to choose a mic preamp that is good as well.
Exactly -- is the Motu stuff and the M-Audio stuff doing AD/DA even if you just go from Preamp to Line Out?

I have seen stuff like this that appears to be analog-analog, but there are no measurements of it that I can find:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly -- is the Motu stuff and the M-Audio stuff doing AD/DA even if you just go from Preamp to Line Out?

I have seen stuff like this that appears to be analog-analog, but there are no measurements of it that I can find:

Many if those mic preamps are not transparent but adhere to a certain house sound. Better stay with RME, they also offer preamps (but at a price) which are neutral.

Grooved

The only solution with both interfaces is Source -> RME input, so RME AD conversion -> RME SPDIF or ADAT output -> MOTU SPDIF or ADAT -> USB -> Computer
In this case, the RME interface does the AD conversion, but your source should still have line level

If the MOTU has direct out/send feature, you would be able to use the Mic preamp to get it to line level and feed the RME input, but I don't think you can on the MOTU without hitting AD/DA conversion

So yes, the best thing would be to buy a RME preamp, or an audio interface that has good mic preamp and offers Send feature (without converting the signal)

Davide

I don't know if I understood your needs correctly, but selling the RME and using only the Mk5 seems more logical to me.
And if you now only have 2 output channels with the RME, then even an M4 might be enough for you.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks guys. I purchased the Motu.
The UltraLite mk5, I presume, since this is the Motu M4 thread?

Assuming you bought the UltraLite, how do you intend to connect it to your RME ADI-2 Pro?

cheapsoundguy

Yes, the Ultralite Mk5. I actually think I will just use it as a USB interface into my Mac. Someday I might get a separate preamp for the ADI-2 Pro, but for now it will go back to my Hi-Fi system.

Scielienta

Ultralite Mk5 is the best bang for the buck on the market right now. Happy M4 owner but I am eyeing on Mk5.

damex

how to proceed with lineout cable from 2x 1/4 (motu side) to 1/8 on portable amp side? my portable amp has 1/4 TRS line in.

so i get:
- 2x 1/4 TRS connectors (Neutrik)
- 1x 1/8 TRS connector (Neutrik or my beloved Oyaide)
- some spc or audio cable in general (Need to have 4 strands)

make connection like that:
1/8 connector Tip -> 1/4 right connector Tip
1/8 connector Ring -> 1/4 left connector Tip
1/8 connector Sleeve -> 1/4 right connector Sleeve
1/8 connector Sleeve -> 1/4 left connector Sleeve

and we do nothing about Ring (leave it 'floating')?
would that be correct?
could the same cable work for linein?

thank you

Top Bottom