• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

cajadas

Dudes, increasing RAM voltage (no OC), I'm able to work at 96000/2048 (only). But right now this is all I need. This was indeed RAM related. Thanks so much ;)

cajadas

The magic of the MOTU M4 is that D/A conversion at 96KHz on my ADAM A7X is pretty noticeable compared to 48KHz. It's almost as good as my Antelope Audio Discrete 4 SC. Sounds more open, increased separation and better treble and I need that for sound design and stuff. I guess I will replace the RAM, since I'm limited to 25ms latency.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I have never mentioned RAM latency. I meant buffer size (ASIO).

The confusion comes from this post of yours earlier in this thread, thus my question.

cajadas

Actually the issue was not the RAM. I found I have never tested 96KHz at 2048 buffer size and it was the only thing I have not tested and that works above 48KHz. I believe my old PC does not meet M4's requirements.

Would love to lose my mind and format the disk, but I don't believe this is the issue.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Any 20-year-old potato PC should be able to handle 96 kHz at ample buffer size. Which exact motherboard do you have? With it being a Ryzen system, the very first thing I would do is update the BIOS to the very latest version. (You can generally do so from within BIOS setup via a USB thumb drive, see manual.)

The other thing I would try is another USB cable and other ports.

cajadas

Any 20-year-old potato PC should be able to handle 96 kHz at ample buffer size. Which exact motherboard do you have? With it being a Ryzen system, the very first thing I would do is update the BIOS to the very latest version. (You can generally do so from within BIOS setup via a USB thumb drive, see manual.)

The other thing I would try is another USB cable and other ports.
I have tried different USB ports, but always the same cable, which is better than most stock cables.

MB is MSI X370 Krait Gaming, but I'm unable to update to latest BIOS, have to contact MSI.

Trell

Major Contributor
I have tried different USB ports, but always the same cable, which is better than most stock cables

The suggestion to try use another USB cable is in case it has a fault. Just try testing with the USB cable that came with the M4.

If you happen to have another PC to test on that also would be helpful to find where the problem as there could be a fault in the M4.

Last edited:

Davide

I can't figure it out from the manual.
Can I control all outputs simultaneously with the volume knob?
Is it possible to set a trim level between the various outputs?
Does it supports WDM drivers (WASAPI)?
Can I use loopback channel independently from analog outs?

Last edited:

artburda

I can't figure it out from the manual.
Can I control all outputs simultaneously with the volume knob?
Is it possible to set a trim level between the various outputs?
Does it supports WDM drivers (WASAPI)?
Can I use loopback channel independently from analog outs?
Volume control: Big knob -> outputs 1/2 at the back TRS + RCA; headphone knob -> headphone output also channels 1/2 but independently from the monitor/line outputs. Channels 3/4 are full line out, you‘ll have to adjust the volume from the daw/application. Yes, wdm drivers supported. You can only loopback output channels 1/2 when playing something or a fixed mix between inputs 1/2 (and maybe inputs 3/4) and output 1/2.

Last edited:

madmalkav

Volume control: Big knob -> outputs 1/2 at the back TRS + RCA; headphone knob -> headphone output also channels 1/2 but independently from the monitor/line outputs. Channels 3/4 are full line out, you‘ll have to adjust the volume from the daw/application.
Can someone confirm this is the same when using from Linux? All videos I see Pulseaudio detects the output as 4.0, but I want this exact behavior so I can connect channels 3/4 to a headphone amp and use channels 1/2 to connect to active speakers.

Evgeniy

Anyone tested new version of M2 / M4 (with dedicated Cortex chip instead of Xmos in old version, same chip Motu use in mk5) with USB Audio Recorder Pro ?

MNMLSM

Anyone tested new version of M2 / M4 (with dedicated Cortex chip instead of Xmos in old version, same chip Motu use in mk5) with USB Audio Recorder Pro ?
Would be interested too.

Here is a short video regarding the new components:

Danny_K

I thought I remember reading earlier in this thread that direct monitoring with the M2 / M4 isn't "hardware", and does in fact go through A/D and D/A incurring a small amount of latency.
Can't find the post now though.
I almost thought I could hear the sound of a relay when pushing the "MON" buttons, so I've been assuming that monitoring was completely analog from input to output.
Anyone know one way or the other?

Thanks,

vertumno

Does the M4 have any software control utility for MacOS/iOS? I couldn't find it anywhere

Many thanks

Cocokola

Is the only way to confirm the hardware version to open up the unit? I use Midas Pro (blue preamps) in live audio and these preamps sound similar.

I use it for SMAART system measurement and damn what a difference from M-AUDIO FASTRACK PRO and U-Poria UMC204HD.

cajadas

To my ears, this M4 just sounds amazing at 96KHz, but truth is that It's not possible to use it at 96KHz without clicks and pops. Had to go back to 48KHz.

I think this is CPU related, because it just happens when I use too many VST (like 10 or so - mostly Kontakt, but also others). My Ryzen 1700X seems to have an issue with that. One that hates it is U-he Diva.

Latest BIOS, everything in order.

Trell

Major Contributor
To my ears, this M4 just sounds amazing at 96KHz, but truth is that It's not possible to use it at 96KHz without clicks and pops. Had to go back to 48KHz.

I think this is CPU related, because it just happens when I use too many VST (like 10 or so - mostly Kontakt, but also others). My Ryzen 1700X seems to have an issue with that. One that hates it is U-he Diva.

You’ve tried to increase the buffer size in the ASIO driver?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes it is CPU related. As Trell said, you can increase buffer size as long as the added latency is not a problem.

Also make sure the CPU runs as high as possible. Switch off any Eco settings in the Bios/Windows Settings if possible.

Top Bottom