• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 (and M2 as well?) And Raspberry Pi 4 do not run together via USB

Chris M

Hello, I recently bought the Moto M4 audio interface, especially to carry out measurements on my do-it-yourself Blue Note 2 speakers from ADW Germany. I would also like to use it to measure amplifiers and possibly digital electronics.
Since I still have a raspberry Pie 4 here, I came up with the idea of building a cheap streaming system and bypassing the internal I2S connection and operating the Moto M4 via USB. After some research I decided on Moode Audio (7.2.1 as of June 25th) and alternatively I run Raspberry OS with KODi with a second micro SD card. Both systems work well via the analog output with all the limitations of the user interface (compared to Bluesound or Teufel Audio often used here in Germany).
My problem is that the Moto M4 does not accept playback via USB or the Raspberry does not recognize the Moto 4.
Instructions for solving this problem can be found at https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4116 and https://community.roonlabs.com/t/motu-m2-support/125769 and https://www.gitmemory.com/issue/raspberrypi/linux/4116/777422452

I had also discovered a hint that the solution was an active USB controller. However, neither the active controller nor the use of various USB cables resulted in a sound output via the Moto M4 in my system. Maybe someone has solved the same problem and can name it here. Further ideas and suggestions for a solution are also welcome.

I don't want to give up yet, but the alternative would be a mini PC like Intel nuc and Windows 10. I know that it works and is good too ...

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
IIRC the last upstream kernel release included patches submitted by someone at MOTU that were supposed to improve support for the M series interfaces. I don't know whether it was to address the symptom you're seeing, or something else.

OP
C

Chris M

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Moode is built on Raspberry Pi OS so they probably share the same kernel and any related issues. Whether you need to switch to Ubuntu (or another distro with a more recent kernel) depends on your skill and confidence. It should be possible to replace the Moode kernel with a more up to date one, either by installing the kernel package(s) from Ubuntu or by building your own. If building your own remember to switch to a more recent branch as I think the default one is still 5.10.y. The usual cautions apply, like making sure you have working backups, and there being no guarantee it'll work.

Bergante

I have just connected a MOTU M4 to a Raspberry Pi 4 trying both Volumio and Moodeaudio (64 bit) installations (stock installations, no tweaking) and it works flawlessly.

Not in the case of my particular interface but I think there was a firmware update for a serial number range. I would check for it on the MOTU website.

Top Bottom