• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have a feeling this is probably due to the pandemic and supply issues, along with demand outstripping supply. So they're probably pushing out subpar cosmetic QC that they'd normally catch out of necessity.

Possibly some returns sold as new by the seller? Possibly not, too.

I have had factory seconds and factory refurbs that from the packaging into the contents I could swear were new unopened. Then I have had new unopened that looked repacked/disturbed along the way.

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did think the dac section sounded excellent when I heard it- clearly better than my OL DAC's. Bit disappointed with the ADC's performance in this review, but still getting lots out of this device so I can't complain

3125b

Major Contributor
So how much worst the M2 will perform vs the M4 purely as DAC+ volume control when connected to active studio monitors ?
Looks to be exactly the same.
ADC is a bit worse (though still transparent) and it has less functionality.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly some returns sold as new by the seller? Possibly not, too.

I have had factory seconds and factory refurbs that from the packaging into the contents I could swear were new unopened. Then I have had new unopened that looked repacked/disturbed along the way.
It depends on the staff handling the product. Some staff open, unpack and repack veryyy carefully and others are total slobs about it. When I worked for a mass merchandiser we had issues with new product mysteriously being repacked very shoddily and nobody to answer for that. We finally had to lock the warehouse door to keep people out with strict orders to the warehouse staff not to let anybody in so that lazy sneaky peeps did not have access to product.

Tater Tot

What’s the output impedance of headphone out?

The lack of extra power for lower ohm load is weird.

artburda

How is it possible that power vs distortion for 33 ohm and 300 ohm is cleaner with the M2 than with the M4? (Clearly visible by looking at the lines in the graphs)
M4:
18EA32C7-DC3B-4C6F-957C-51151F4406AB.png

M2:
D8B7230A-DF2E-4B01-B1D4-9A09E83B1FDE.png

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This and the very similar Scarlett 2i2 are both good. How stable are the drivers?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I must say it is crazy give how good the performance and how much money it costs. The filter is the cleanest one on ASR and plus all those functionality. Thanks Amir for measuring this and make me interested in Motu now. BTW is there an other measurements for headphone out like impedence?
Is the filter just one built-in to the ESS DAC or have Motu added their own?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
So how much worst the M2 will perform vs the M4 purely as DAC+ volume control when connected to active studio monitors ?
On TRS outputs seem to be pretty similar, although the tests were performed at different output voltages, but I'm sure they will sound identical on your speakers. Feel free to compare the graphs by yourself.

Tks

Major Contributor
M2 with a more sensible filter than M4, odd..

Surprised to see the ESS hump still around these days.

Good overall package for sure though.

Promit

The M2 is my interface/DAC of choice, replaced a Focusrite some time back. I get to drive my sub and Adam T7Vs off the XLR outs, and run my Axe Fx into the XLR ins. It's been great and I love the step of real VU meters over the light up rings.

Omid

Amir, If you still have the unit and have the time, can you please run a SINAD on the mic input with gain turned up to max? Just curious about the performance of the mic amp for conducting measurements for DSP room corrections.

Music1969

Major Contributor
This and the very similar Scarlett 2i2 are both good. How stable are the drivers?

I have Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen3

All Gen3 use same driver and for me it has always been rock solid reliable

I need it to be, doing 6 channel DSP crossover and room EQ . Using Win10 ASIO driver

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, If you still have the unit and have the time, can you please run a SINAD on the mic input with gain turned up to max? Just curious about the performance of the mic amp for conducting measurements for DSP room corrections.
Yes, whenever Amir does recording interfaces I wish he would test the microphone inputs too.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Surprised to see the ESS hump still around these days.

Not sure every designer is aware of it. Acutally I think most could not care lesse. ASR seems the only place this is noted.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Weird, that is not my words. Not sure how did another member's words mix up with my username.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen3

All Gen3 use same driver and for me it has always been rock solid reliable

I need it to be, doing 6 channel DSP crossover and room EQ . Using Win10 ASIO driver
I have been using the 2i4 2nd Gen daily for almost two years. I like that unit very much as a DAC, for vinyl rip through the ADC, headphones occasionnal listening... But have had lots of drivers issues and need a lot of buffer to play seemlessly.

I was aksing to myself: would I get another one if mine was dead, or get a MOTU?

P_M

Would be awesome to see an IMD test for the ADC also.

Top Bottom