• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

Backflash

Anyone got issues with EQ APO? I can't make it work, tried nearly everything, holding off on voicemeeter pass through and didn't try with default windows driver yet, curious if there is something I can fix before going for class driver.
It's like the driver ignores windows mixer and does whole system exclusive mode.
Peace GUI shows the levels, but EQ changes do nothing.
Also one other weird behavior, after reboot device redetects itself. It shouldn't happen.

edit: going to class driver gives me code 10. w11 shouldn't be the issue, it got same class driver as w10.

edit2: I'm an idiot, I simply should've deleted registry entries for EQ APO right away. It reengaged itself with MOTU driver present.

Attachments

• 2021-12-09.jpg
    2021-12-09.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

jschwender

What is your experience with monitoring delay on an M2? From what i have measured, it does not depend on buffer settings, like it is written in the manual: Delay ist constant 370µs @192kHz, 540µs @96kHz and 900µs @48 kHz.

Longshan

What is your experience with monitoring delay on an M2? From what i have measured, it does not depend on buffer settings, like it is written in the manual: Delay ist constant 370µs @192kHz, 540µs @96kHz and 900µs @48 kHz.
Eh? No. Latency is affected by buffer sizes, etc., just like any other audio interface.

jschwender

Not necessarily. The monitoring switch on the m2 activates a separate channel (ch 7 on the ESS DAC) which outputs the signal to the headphone amp input (IC7) and the monitoring output. This way, the only delay is the ADC filter delay and the conversion time. I assume that the buffer size that the manual refers to means the buffer size of the USB transport, but even that must not necessarily cause delay, depending on the access strategy (ring or stack, level trigger…). There are some other obvious glitches in the manual, like there is a maximum output voltage specified for the TRS input. Therefore my guess is that some other things in the manual are also just copy paste bugs. Not sure, maybe i missunderstand something… Anyway, do you say that you observed different delay behavior on your m2?

Feargal

These look like latency in sub 1 millisecond though so not that significant except when stacked up with others?

Longshan

Not necessarily. The monitoring switch on the m2 activates a separate channel (ch 7 on the ESS DAC) which outputs the signal to the headphone amp input (IC7) and the monitoring output. This way, the only delay is the ADC filter delay and the conversion time. I assume that the buffer size that the manual refers to means the buffer size of the USB transport, but even that must not necessarily cause delay, depending on the access strategy (ring or stack, level trigger…). There are some other obvious glitches in the manual, like there is a maximum output voltage specified for the TRS input. Therefore my guess is that some other things in the manual are also just copy paste bugs. Not sure, maybe i missunderstand something… Anyway, do you say that you observed different delay behavior on your m2?
The latency in my M2 directly correlates with the buffer size of my DAW. The latency is measured so I can see exactly how much latency I will have with a given set of parameters.

tlr125

is the any info about DAC of M2 rev.2? same with M4 rev.2 or still es9016s?

jschwender

My M2 has A ES9026PRO as DAC, and this is the input circuitry, but i have not found a version info on the hardware.
USB side reports a device ID of "07fd:000b Mark of the Unicorn M2"

Attachments

• Eingangsschaltung.png
    Eingangsschaltung.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:

tlr125

hmm, that's exactly the same ID as M4 rev2, refering to NXP controller inside

and this is the input circuitry,
ah, they changed ADC AK5552 to a very new budget ES9820 (though the specs on this just slightly better). is the any signs of headphone amp udgrade?
that's strange, M4 rev2 have ADC AK5554VN, are you sure about ESS instead of AK ADC? really strange
mic amp seems to be unchaged

Last edited:

Backflash

My M2 has A ES9026PRO as DAC, and this is the input circuitry, but i have not found a version info on the hardware.
VID_07FD&PID_000B&REV_0200&MI_00
VID_07FD&PID_000B&MI_00
H/W id on mine. Why is it double?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
any signs of headphone amp udgrade?
It already has OPA1688 inside, right? What else can be upgrade? Unless they start paralleling opamps and increase the voltage there's no way to increase the output volume, but I really don't think this will happen in such a small-size studio-dedicated audio interface, where usually headphones-out is for monitoring purposes only (no Hifiman, no Audeze, only sensitive closed-cans allowed).

jschwender

hmm, that's exactly the same ID as M4 rev2, refering to NXP controller inside

ah, they changed ADC AK5552 to a very new budget ES9820 (though the specs on this just slightly better). is the any signs of headphone amp udgrade?
that's strange, M4 rev2 have ADC AK5554VN, are you sure about ESS instead of AK ADC? really strange
mic amp seems to be unchaged
There is an Atmel AMSATS70N20AN inside, not an NXP controller. And the DAC is an ES9820PRO, that is not the same as a ES9820.

tlr125

all ops are OPA1678.
as far as i remember 1678 used for input curcuit and 1688 for headphone amp specifically (like in M4 v2)

There is an Atmel AMSATS70N20AN inside, not an NXP controller
interesting thing, they are using different controllers for M4 v2 and M2 v2 for some reason

And the DAC is an ES9820PRO, that is not the same as a ES9820.
hmm, can't find any info about pro, all news are about regular 9820 released an year ago, what's the difference?

jschwender

UUuuups, sorry my mistake: The DAC is a ES9026PRO, the ADC is A ES9820. Seems i mistyped it…
And i checked once more the phones amp: you are right again. This one is hard to read, but now i think it is really a 1688, not 1678.
Maybe there are differences in revisions, but i don't know how to identify revision. My M2 is made in 2021. How do you identify yours as a rev.2?

tlr125

UUuuups, sorry my mistake: The DAC is a ES9026PRO, the ADC is A ES9820. Seems i mistyped it…
And i checked once more the phones amp: you are right again. This one is hard to read, but now i think it is really a 1688, not 1678.
Maybe there are differences in revisions, but i don't know how to identify revision. My M2 is made in 2021. How do you identify yours as a rev.2?
firmware 2.xx is 2nd revision

tlr125

can't find a proper answer, but how to connect balanced TRS outputs to unbalanced RCA inputs? i've read the manual but don't get the point with "ring disconnected", what should i use, 2 TS ( TRS mono) adapters (TS-RCA), or it should be special cable with Ring(minus) unplugged. IS there any solutions i can buy? i can't find such specific cables , or just using TS-RCA cables (or TS female -RCA Male adapters) is fine?

audiofun

can't find a proper answer, but how to connect balanced TRS outputs to unbalanced RCA inputs? i've read the manual but don't get the point with "ring disconnected", what should i use, 2 TS ( TRS mono) adapters (TS-RCA), or it should be special cable with Ring(minus) unplugged. IS there any solutions i can buy? i can't find such specific cables , or just using TS-RCA cables (or TS female -RCA Male adapters) is fine?
THis device has RCA output so you should use RCA -> RCA.
If you insist to use TRS, the balanced output is a full one (so it has the inverted phase). TS->RCA plug won't work as it will short that phase. You need a TRS->RCA with the R disconnected. If you can't find any at your studio you need to solder by yourself.

tlr125

THis device has RCA output so you should use RCA -> RCA.
i know, but RCA have lower dbu comparing to unbalanced plugged TRS, + i want to connect (sometimes) TRS stereo jack with TRS out of Motu M2 (no idea if such cables exist because all i saw - was TRS-2TS)

You need a TRS->RCA with the R disconnected.
so there is no such solutions on sale?

Top Bottom