• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M2 output signal... vs Audient id14

D

Deleted member 48726

Very interesting to find someone that has the same “problem” has me… I can’t stand traffic noise either and other city noises.

Love being in the country side.
Well. As much as it's the truth it's also meant as a comment on how we as humans perceive things even if we consciously or not choose to take notice or not.

But yeah, I love being in isolation from time to time even if my line of work is the complete opposite..

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think that both Motu M2 and Audient id14 seems to be two of the best interfaces for two channel recordings in the pricerange below 300 dollars. Motu measures very well, and Audient has a reputation to have better than average preamps/mic amplifiers.

Both units are a clear step up in soundquality from budget focusrite or Steinberg.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I was a happy user of the Audient id14 mkii but have bought a brand new Motu M2 because of the nice preamps it has but I am having some difculties in enjoying the output sound from the M2.
The sound lacks some warmth and musical caracter that I was used from the Id14. Don´t know if it is because it has a more clinical signal to make a good mix but I do enjoy more the warmth and musical caracter of the Id14, it sounds fuller... and it inspires me more to record.
It only has a few hours of working so, might due because of that as well, I know that components need around 50h of usage to work in full potential. It also happenned with the audient, so I will wait :)

I'll gladly take the not so musical/warm Motu M2 of your hands (when you are in the EU) for say... half the price or at least 30% off.
I am quite certain it will sound perfectly fine in my system as I am officially 'DAC deaf'.

But more serious.
Record music on both interfaces.
Play each recordings back on both devices.
Is the difference still there on both DACs with both recordings ?
If so... your ADC is 'good enough'.
This opens up the possibility to record the sound from the M2 with the Id14 and the sound of the Id14 with the M2.
Post the 2 recordings and the original which you fed into the DAC.
Use a 44.1 original file and record with at least 96kHz.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Here is a serious review comparing Audient id14 with a 2500 dollar Lynx aurora , recordings done at 48 and 96 kHz and he has done null tests.

Conclusion : recordings at 48 kHz sample rate are slightly detectable on the Audient id14 MkI.
However - Recordings ar 96 kHz is more transparent than the Lynx aurora.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
more transparent

As in..
transparent, more transparent, most transparent and hyper transparent ?
One can grade 'transparent' as in looking through a dirty window, window with rain on it, clean window and open window ?

With transparent is usually meant: no modification of the audible sound. So while the signal fidelity may still get better the sound quality will not improve anymore (is audibly transparent)

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
As in..
transparent, more transparent, most transparent and hyper transparent ?
One can grade 'transparent' as in looking through a dirty window, window with rain on it, clean window and open window ?

With transparent is usually meant: no modification of the audible sound. So while the signal fidelity may still get better the sound quality will not improve anymore (is audibly transparent)
An open window is transparent, agree.
What this test shows, is that a 300 dollar interface when recording with its A/D converters, can sound as transparent as a 2500 dollar interface. This is probably also true with the Motu M2.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
If using for recording, either will do. If I'm going to be using it as my main headphone output, going to have to pass on any Audient product and wouldn't suggest it based on this alone:

wpTIAdP.png

Tangband

Major Contributor
If using for recording, either will do. If I'm going to be using it as my main headphone output, going to have to pass on any Audient product and wouldn't suggest it based on this alone:

wpTIAdP.png
Yes - my headphone output on my Mac M1 sounds slightly better than the one Audient id14 has. Its the worst thing about this interface, - to high output impedance and to much roll off in the frequency response. However - this Isnt the case with the preamp, A/D, D/A and line output stages which are fine.
Here is a long therm review of Audient id14 MkI.

And here the review of Motu M2 by Julian Krause.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In most of these audiointerfaces the headphone out seems to be an afterthought.
Low output power, high output resistance. Often not more than an opamp with a resistor in series.
There are exceptions though.

jae

Major Contributor
Yes - my headphone output on my Mac M1 sounds slightly better than the one Audient id14 has. Its the worst thing about this interface, - to high output impedance and to much roll off in the frequency response. However - this Isnt the case with the preamp, A/D, D/A and line output stages which are fine.
Here is a long therm review of Audient id14 MkI.

Not too sure which M1 you have but from at least 2021 and beyond they are very good: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/mbp162021/ Pretty sure they are using the same implementation from the M1 pro in the laptops released since. Enjoying it on my M2 Air from time to time.

Top Bottom