• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M2 output signal... vs Audient id14

malp

I was a happy user of the Audient id14 mkii but have bought a brand new Motu M2 because of the nice preamps it has but I am having some difculties in enjoying the output sound from the M2.
The sound lacks some warmth and musical caracter that I was used from the Id14. Don´t know if it is because it has a more clinical signal to make a good mix but I do enjoy more the warmth and musical caracter of the Id14, it sounds fuller... and it inspires me more to record.
It only has a few hours of working so, might due because of that as well, I know that components need around 50h of usage to work in full potential. It also happenned with the audient, so I will wait :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am having some difculties in enjoying the output sound from the M2.
The sound lacks some warmth and musical caracter that I was used from the Id14. It only has a few hours of working so, might due because of that as well, I know that components need around 50h of usage to work in full potential.
The Motu M2's electronics are completely solid state. There's nothing inside that could possibly acclimate/burn in/whatever with use.
This 50h to reach full potential stuff is complete nonsense.
It'll sound the same after 2000 hours as it did the day you got it. Unless you break it.

OP
malp

malp

The Motu M2's electronics are completely solid state. There's nothing inside that could possibly acclimate/burn in/whatever with use.
This 50h to reach full potential stuff is complete nonsense.
It'll sound the same after 2000 hours as it did the day you got it. Unless you break it.
I can state that it worked with the audient. The id14 in the beginning was dull and lifeless, in fact the high end was a bit piercing... after 2 days of nonstop playing back it was gone. I was so surprised. If you google it you will find some info about it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can state that it worked with the audient. The id14 in the beginning was dull and lifeless, in fact the high end was a bit piercing... after 2 days of nonstop playing back it was gone. I was so surprised. If you google it you will find some info about it.
That's not how modern electronics work. That's how the human brain works.

But us humans are naïve and can't possibly believe that it's our own senses that are belying us. So, the only conclusion is that it's the electronics themselves that are changing.

It's the wrong conclusion though, which has been confirmed time and time again by properly controlled, blind tests.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Yeah. I would be very surprised if the differences didn't completely evaporate in a level-matched, preferably blind listening test. (The M2 should be about 4.4 dB louder at maximum.)

That being said, if you bought the M2 for its preamps, you may be disappointed to learn that the Audient's already are very good to begin with, and in fact with lower noise on dynamic mics (not sure about distortion at high gain though). You merely get a better idea of input level setting due to the input PGA, where the analog gain dial on the Audients doesn't provide the same level of repeatability. The M2 also is excellent in terms of achievable roundtrip latency. Its headphone output isn't as class-leading as the Audient's but still very solid all around. There's also the obvious differences in user interface that may be much more relevant to you than anything else.

In the end, it's you who has to be working with the thing. I'd say give the M2 a chance and if it doesn't work out, there's still the iD14 MkII if you need an upgrade in I/O from the iD4.

printerlights

I used an M2 as my primary dac for several years, and I was completely stunned when I switched to a "hifi" dac a few months ago. Even though the M2 measures quite well, somehow my DX3 Pro+ has a MUCH more focused center image and a fuller sounding midrange when directly A/B'd with the MOTU. Imaging is somehow more engaging/layered on the Topping as well, with the M2 presenting more 2-dimensionally. Both sound equally clean with similar resolving ability (their measurements are comparable), yet the DX3 just presents with a completely different sort of musicality, especially spatially.

You definitely shouldn't expect to hear any differences after burning in the M2 for hours, there was 0 difference on mine after several years of use.

OP
malp

malp

I used an M2 as my primary dac for several years, and I was completely stunned when I switched to a "hifi" dac a few months ago. Even though the M2 measures quite well, somehow my DX3 Pro+ has a MUCH more focused center image and a fuller sounding midrange when directly A/B'd with the MOTU. Imaging is somehow more engaging/layered on the Topping as well, with the M2 presenting more 2-dimensionally. Both sound equally clean with similar resolving ability (their measurements are comparable), yet the DX3 just presents with a completely different sort of musicality, especially spatially.

You definitely shouldn't expect to hear any differences after burning in the M2 for hours, there was 0 difference on mine after several years of use.
I appreciate your comment but I use my interface to record and mix :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate your comment but I use my interface to record and mix :)
Which makes not one whit of difference. Your electronics did not burn in and put out a different quality signal. You may well have perceived it that way, but that is one of the foibles of perception involving the human brain.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Your first paragraph does not make sense (your second one does) - electronics don’t have musicality. As stated above by others - the difference you perceive are more likely caused by your brain not by the electronics. Keyword is level matched blind test.

Or based on what facts would you explain the perceived differences?

printerlights

Your first paragraph does not make sense (your second one does) - electronics don’t have musicality. As stated above by others - the difference you perceive are more likely caused by your brain not by the electronics. Keyword is level matched blind test.

Or based on what facts would you explain the perceived differences?
Just sharing my experience, not trying to make any concrete scientific claims. FWIW there is more to experiencing audio then can be reflected in measurements alone.

OP
malp

malp

I know that there was a huge improvement on the Audient after burning in 50h later. It wasn’t my brain… not everything is about numbers and measurements. A graph can tell you some specs but won’t tell you am how it sounds in reality. Trust your hears and your senses also.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know that there was a huge improvement on the Audient after burning in 50h later. It wasn’t my brain… not everything is about numbers and measurements. A graph can tell you some specs but won’t tell you am how it sounds in reality. Trust your hears and your senses also.
We trust ears implicitly here on ASR. The brain has effects on the ears if you don't test just with ears only. You cannot avoid what your brain does when it misleads you. No one can avoid having that happen. The measurements are sufficient to say there's no burning in over the first 50 hours.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
This is utter nonsense. It is indeed your brain and burn in is such a fairy tale - your brain simply adapts.

For electronics - graphs will indeed tell. And there is no shred of factual evidence here and then rather to the opposite.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have an Audient id14 and there were for sure real improvement in the sound using it as a D/A converter and analog out after the first 10 hours of use. I dont know If there was any difference with the A/D stage. I have heard this phenomen in many digital products, but I have no clue why .

A couple of years ago, differences between two similar digital products ( Cambridge dacmagic ) were easy for two people to hear in a listening session - one of the products were new from the box and the other was used for about 30 hours - the latter sounded more focused and the music were flowing in a better way. Difficult to explain .:)

Last edited:

artburda

the latter sounded more focused and the music were flowing in a better way. Difficult to explain .:)
Uh-huh. I'm pretty sure it's very difficult to explain since it can't be measured or demonstrated in a proper double blind test :)

OP
malp

malp

This is utter nonsense. It is indeed your brain and burn in is such a fairy tale - your brain simply adapts.

For electronics - graphs will indeed tell. And there is no shred of factual evidence here and then rather to the opposite.

Id14 measures differ from id4

D

Deleted member 48726

When I was a kid I lived with my parents (doh!) next to a highway. We didn't hear the noise and it didn't bother us.
My own house is in the country side and I've lived here for decades. I can't stand traffic noise.

Funny how that works isn't it.

OP
malp

malp

When I was a kid I lived with my parents (doh!) next to a highway. We didn't hear the noise and it didn't bother us.
My own house is in the country side and I've lived here for decades. I can't stand traffic noise.

Funny how that works isn't it.
Very interesting to find someone that has the same “problem” has me… I can’t stand traffic noise either and other city noises.

Love being in the country side.

Top Bottom