• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU M2... Looking to replace with Audient iD4 Mk2

jonwb

Hi there,

Up until a year ago I was using a 2015 Audient ID22 in my studio. Loved it! Sonically it was a gem of an interface. Unfortunately It developed a P/S and cap issue and I had to shelf it. Needing an interface. I decided to give the MOTU M2 a go. Though it hasn't seemed on par with the Audient's transparency, and its preamps are a little sterile, it's been a good investment. The only issue I've had is that the M2's headphone amp doesn't drive my 320 ohm Sennheiser HD650s nearly as well as my old ID22. Recently I listened to my 650s through a friend's Audient and they sounded noticeably better! More open, better soundstage, fuller. What to do?

Rather than buy a separate $100 HP amp to drive the Senns, I've noticed that Audient has improved their iD4 with the new Mk2 version. The specs look nearly identical to the ID22 and since it's powered using a true USB-C connection that has better data transfer (I have one), I'm thinking the latency might be improved as well. I like the M2, but if I can get the Audient vibe back and get my Senns to sound the way I remember, maybe it would be a good idea?

What's your take?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If you have USB-C, the MkII iD4/iD14s are pretty much unrivalled for headphone output in their class (and arguably beyond). They still don't have the ability to use preamps and converters separately, the same maximum input level or quite as good an ADC as the iD22.

Headphone output impedance is spec'd as a nebulous "<100 ohms" on the iD22, which I suspect may be responsible for the fuller sound compared to the essentially 0 ohm M2. (What model Sennheisers are these?) iD4/14 clock in at 22 ohms. You can basically always add output impedance via series resistors, just not remove any. You may be able to find an ER-4P to S adapter that adds 75 ohms in series, or even make one yourself.

wanghao

MK2 can drive DT880 600ohm powerfully. It can reproduce the instantaneous explosive sound of classical music without chattering.

Top Bottom