• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mother of all audio mechanisms

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I like this video blogger. He digs up vintage audio formats and does a very professional voice over on them. This one is remarkable feat of mechanical engineering by what Japanese were so great at:

Mivera

Major Contributor
I like this video blogger. He digs up vintage audio formats and does a very professional voice over on them. This one is remarkable feat of mechanical engineering by what Japanese were so great at:

Cool. I can see they really stuck to the K.I.S.S concept :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
amir i can see why you relate so well to mechanical engineers, i bet you got the T-shirt.
21f939e3351b75839917974ffa499b47.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I used to repair complex mechanisms in cassette decks and other devices. Use to hate Alpine car stereos. We would get $60 for warranty repair and the thing would take days of messing around to fix them. They were assembled from bottom up. To see anything you had to take it apart. But then it was not working so you could not figure out what was wrong with it!

Mivera

Major Contributor
I used to repair complex mechanisms in cassette decks and other devices. Use to hate Alpine car stereos. We would get $60 for warranty repair and the thing would take days of messing around to fix them. They were assembled from bottom up. To see anything you had to take it apart. But then it was not working so you could not figure out what was wrong with it!

They don't build em like they used to. I think that might be a good thing with audio gear :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Tape decks are fun to fix, radios too...tuning them. ...And turntables mechanisms too.

Bunch of various rubber bands, nail polish, all type of screws, a complete set of miniature screwdrivers and pliers.
...Glue, all type, spare bulbs and fuses...all type, soldering gun, silver wire, alcohol...isopropyl, Q-Tips, magnifiers, etc.
It's a good pastime and it saves a bunch of money from the audio repair shops.

I like the diy people. ...Using their own two hands.
Everything, anything I can fix myself I like to learn.
Once in a while I don't research enough, or I'm not sure enough...then I'll tell the repairman what I suspect needs repair.

I started fixing audio/video electronics @ age seven, and Mum's jewelry later on.
But always for fun, because I like it.

We all use our hands for many tasks, including playing musical instruments, painting, writing, and gardening...plus planting forests.
Our hands are a creative extension of our inner soul; the rewards of fixing, creating, building, ...is gratifying.

Another cool thread Amir. :cool: ...And we all stay out of trouble. :D

Mivera

Major Contributor
Tape decks are fun to fix, radios too...tuning them. ...And turntables mechanisms too.

Bunch of various rubber bands, nail polish, all type of screws, a complete set of miniature screwdrivers and pliers.
...Glue, all type, spare bulbs and fuses...all type, soldering gun, silver wire, alcohol...isopropyl, Q-Tips, magnifiers, etc.
It's a good pastime and it saves a bunch of money from the audio repair shops.

I like the diy people. ...Using their own two hands.
Everything, anything I can fix myself I like to learn.
Once in a while I don't research enough, or I'm not sure enough...then I'll tell the repairman what I suspect needs repair.

I started fixing audio/video electronics @ age seven, and Mum's jewelry later on.
But always for fun, because I like it.

We all use our hands for many tasks, including playing musical instruments, painting, writing, and gardening...plus planting forests.
Our hands are a creative extension of our inner soul; the rewards of fixing, creating, building, ...is gratifying.

Another cool thread Amir. :cool: ...And we all stay out of trouble. :D

Yes a very fun pastime. However I like the new world of no moving parts much better. I remember watching an episode of Beyond 2000 back in the early 90's where they were talking about a flash chip based music player with no moving parts. I remember thinking Wow! I can't wait until the day comes that these are mainstream. Well that day is here and has been for a while now. Not only is it better than every imagined, the sound is far better than we ever experienced in the past as well.

Let innovation prevail!!!

JS Hoover

Not a tape deck --- but, one of the most (mechanically) refined and ingenious alternatives to record stacking: the 1962 Thorens 224
thorens 224.jpg

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Holy something, that was fun watching! Today's music playlist can be as good as infinite. Create a huge library of digital music, store it on a big HDD/Flash Memory or even cloud, and then let it all play with "repeat list" enabled.

Something about that clunky mechanical engineering though. Don't get me wrong, I am in no rush to go all analogue and deal with all that faff. I love the convenience and potential quality of digital audio, even if it isn't always achieved. I guess it's a bit like the Waves Kramer Master Tape plugin, like which has an animation of a reel tape going around.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"At the height of the series' popularity, Burt Ward (Robin) recorded several musical tracks under the production of Frank Zappa. The first two, "Boy Wonder, I Love You" (which Zappa wrote) and "Orange Colored Sky", were released as a single on November 14, 1966. Two other tracks from these sessions, "Teenage Bill of Rights" and "Autumn Love", remain unreleased."

If you think the first track below is bad, be sure to try the second (skip tp 2:15), which should recalibrate your badness meter.

I can't post this historical stuff without at least some reason, so thanks for the previous post's spoiler.

Last edited:

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@RayDunzl Wow! Gadzooks!
The first was 'quirky'. The second just sounds like a bunch of folks have walked into a studio, which was full of bottles of Absinthe. Once everyone was effectively tanked, they thought let's record this! :p It is somehow quite charming! :D

Top Bottom