• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most Pretentious High-End Audio Component Names

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so... this thread has got me reflectin'.
Although nowadays my interests are somewhat more rarefied, I am a product of my "audio heritage" so to speak, and I still harbor what I would call a nonlinear interest in some of the massmarket 1970s hifi of my college days. I am particularly nonlinearly interested in Yamaha componentry of that era (both sonically & aesthetically), so I will take the opportunity to use them as an archetype of reasonable (if slightly arcane) massmarket audio nomenclature of the late 1970s into early 1980s.

With that preamble, here's a partly vertical & partly horizontal tasting (literally and figuratively) of some late-1970s Yamaha massmarket hardware.

1606267440915.png

At least in the US, Yamaha (Nippon Gakki) had some outlier nomenclature. one outlier was the ca. 1977 TC-511S tape deck :) 511?! And what the heck was the "S" for? At the time, they only offered two cassette decks (at least in the US): The aforementioned TC-511S and the very cool, Mario Bellini-designed TC-800GL https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/innovation/collection/detail/7006/ Another outlier was the CR-450 receiver (which I never quite figured out, place-in-the-foodchain-wise). Another interesting "outlier" was the magnificent CT-7000 tuner (of which, sadly, I don't have an example).

Ca. 1978, they had a line of integrated amps with the CA-*10 appellation, culminating in the CA-2010. Indeed, a CA-610II (not shown above) was my gateway drug, Yamaha-wise. Don't ask me about the "II" suffix. ;) The companion tuners were CT-*10, culminating in the CT-1010 (there was no 2010, AFAIK). The receivers of the era were CR-*20, culminating in the CR-2020 -- although there was also the Big Dog (unknown to me at the time) CR-3020.

Here's a CR-2020 (on the right, below) -- a CR-3020 do I not have :( It is a monster, from the monster receiver days.
DSC_5793a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The previous generation (so to speak) of massmarket Yamahas akin those above included the CT-*00 tuners, CA-*00 integrated amps, and CR-*00 receivers.
The following generation of Yamahas like those above included the CR-*40 receivers.
The next generation after that included the R-*00 receivers (culminating, I think, in the R-2000).
Then they had the R-* receivers.
After that, they started putting Xs and Vs and stuff in their model numbers, and I was too busy going to grad school and starting a family to pay much attention. :)

Oh, many/most of their speakers were NS-*(***) for many years (e.g., the infamous NS-10M studio monitors, and the aforementioned NS-1000).

I am deliberately skipping the separates (preamps: "C", power amps: "A", Tuners: "T") in this census, even though that collection, over the years, has included some fine, fine pieces -- but most were, and many still are, too expensive for me then (or for discretionary spending now).

OK, that was pointless, but fun to piece together!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the very cool, Mario Bellini-designed TC-800GL
The first time I opened one of these to service it I was very pleased. Built to last a hundred years, serviceable excluding the rubber(s) degrading and those belts that are there should be available with some effort Really nice machine and if memory serves me correct it had good W&F too. :D

mansr

Major Contributor
Just in case anyone was curious, here are the answers:
Here are the model designators of some random items in my house. Try to guess what they are.
  • 9129B: BK Precision power supply
  • 289: Fluke multimeter, higher better
  • WT1: Weller soldering station
  • MDO3024: Tektronix oscilloscope, letters indicate type of instrument, numbers series, bandwidth, and channels
  • 35 22 115: Knipex pliers, third number is length in mm, the rest without obvious meaning
  • U1733C: Keysight LCR meter, no apparent meaning
  • SR7010: Marantz AVR, higher better
  • LE40A656A1FXXU: Samsung TV, 40"
  • CD-6" ASX: Mitutoyo caliper, 6" long
  • FUSE: Leatherman multitool
  • DMM6500: Keithley multimeter, 6.5 digits resolution
  • CM6 S2: B&W speakers
  • SVZ131A2JM: Sony laptop
  • GS716T: Netgear Ethernet switch, 16 ports
  • 816 R: Wera screwdriver handle

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about the most pretentious item you have actually owned? Not sure I can think of one. I did have Benchmark DAC-1 but as they generally are the benchmark in products not pretentious enough.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What about the most pretentious item you have actually owned? Not sure I can think of one. I did have Benchmark DAC-1 but as they generally are the benchmark in products not pretentious enough.

Prolly the DAC I use -- but it is a very special case, it's got some age on it, and it was never even all that pretentious in the first place.

BDA-1 plus DVD-1730r.jpg

Now optics -- we get a bit snootier at my house when it comes to optics. :)

DSC_7238 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Perhaps if they changed the name to The Benchmark, they would qualify. ;)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
so... this thread has got me reflectin'.
Although nowadays my interests are somewhat more rarefied, I am a product of my "audio heritage" so to speak, and I still harbor what I would call a nonlinear interest in some of the massmarket 1970s hifi of my college days. I am particularly nonlinearly interested in Yamaha componentry of that era (both sonically & aesthetically), so I will take the opportunity to use them as an archetype of reasonable (if slightly arcane) massmarket audio nomenclature of the late 1970s into early 1980s.

With that preamble, here's a partly vertical & partly horizontal tasting (literally and figuratively) of some late-1970s Yamaha massmarket hardware.

View attachment 95689
At least in the US, Yamaha (Nippon Gakki) had some outlier nomenclature. one outlier was the ca. 1977 TC-511S tape deck :) 511?! And what the heck was the "S" for? At the time, they only offered two cassette decks (at least in the US): The aforementioned TC-511S and the very cool, Mario Bellini-designed TC-800GL https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/innovation/collection/detail/7006/ Another outlier was the CR-450 receiver (which I never quite figured out, place-in-the-foodchain-wise). Another interesting "outlier" was the magnificent CT-7000 tuner (of which, sadly, I don't have an example).

Ca. 1978, they had a line of integrated amps with the CA-*10 appellation, culminating in the CA-2010. Indeed, a CA-610II (not shown above) was my gateway drug, Yamaha-wise. Don't ask me about the "II" suffix. ;) The companion tuners were CT-*10, culminating in the CT-1010 (there was no 2010, AFAIK). The receivers of the era were CR-*20, culminating in the CR-2020 -- although there was also the Big Dog (unknown to me at the time) CR-3020.

Here's a CR-2020 (on the right, below) -- a CR-3020 do I not have :( It is a monster, from the monster receiver days.
DSC_5793a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The previous generation (so to speak) of massmarket Yamahas akin those above included the CT-*00 tuners, CA-*00 integrated amps, and CR-*00 receivers.
The following generation of Yamahas like those above included the CR-*40 receivers.
The next generation after that included the R-*00 receivers (culminating, I think, in the R-2000).
Then they had the R-* receivers.
After that, they started putting Xs and Vs and stuff in their model numbers, and I was too busy going to grad school and starting a family to pay much attention. :)

Oh, many/most of their speakers were NS-*(***) for many years (e.g., the infamous NS-10M studio monitors, and the aforementioned NS-1000).

I am deliberately skipping the separates (preamps: "C", power amps: "A", Tuners: "T") in this census, even though that collection, over the years, has included some fine, fine pieces -- but most were, and many still are, too expensive for me then (or for discretionary spending now).

OK, that was pointless, but fun to piece together!
Spectacular collection Mark. If you ever decide to part with the whole thing, please PM me.

Top Bottom