• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most idiotic subjective review comments

egellings

Major Contributor
Well, I guess it's time for me to sign off, turn on my system and do a little veil lifting. Gotta stay in shape, you know.

Dial

Never turn off any digital equipment. It usually takes around 2 days of playing for it to "break in" and sound optimum. Once turned off, you have to go through the entire cycle all over again. Accordingly, do not judge digital equipment unless it has been on and operating for at least 48 hours. This is true for even "budget" players. Digital components using tubes are an exception. The rarity of some tubes and the high cost of their replacements will usually offset any sonic benefits.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
OK, just know most of the decisions you make are based on ( unconsciously, virtually everything) your interactions with other things .

You want to superseded that , fab , don't get cocky. Your a product of your mind and that has little to do with you .

Fab , can we go back to not being dicks now..

Dial

Excuse me, but you've accidentally posted in the wrong thread. The humour thread is here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-call-for-humor.9679/page-491

Jim
You win again my friend !

& don't forget :

"Another Proof- My second associate and I discovered that it was much easier to hear most of the sonic differences between the B and A after the tonearm cable was replaced by the Reference cable. Before the switch, the B's strengths were being disproportionally compromised by the arm cable's deficiencies, which is why I had an unusually (ourk*) difficult time (hey that's your problem*) comparing them at first. This is also additional proof for a longstanding audio theory (the word is not too strong*) of mine (and many others -uh ?*-) : even one weak link is enough to mask the sonic differences that are otherwise more easily observed (& not heard ?*) between two components (and even software -ih ih-). My first associate only compared the B and A when using the arm cable, which is the main reason why I give his opinion less weight than I normally would."

* = my comments

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The first thing we noticed after setting the DAC up and letting it play for 24 hours (burn-in was performed for 3 weeks straight prior to the evaluation) was that Pasithea presented so much air and space between instruments and voices. WOW! Impressive. After spending more time with Pasithea, a sense of resolution could be heard every time we turned on our amplifiers to evaluate. It was difficult to put our finger on what we were hearing at first but the bass and midrange were all there, albeit slightly de-emphasized. It seemed the emphasis in the overall presentation was on the upper frequencies and upper midrange. The lower midrange and bass weight we were used to was somewhat slightly lacking. Not so with Morpheus. Nothing wrong with that. Proper 'final voicing' needs to happen in our system with cables and other finishing touches to top things off at the end of our setup. That's a piece of cake!
After making a few tweaks to our system, the global consensus was that we were hearing a very real, detailed, refined, wide, tall, and deep soundstage coming from Pasithea. Imaging placed us a little further back in the concert hall than compared to our previous converters. The image thrown behind the speakers was unlike anything we have experienced. This DAC scared us on a few occasions as it presented recordings with such dynamic swings and realism. This was an impressive machine to say the very least. Conclusion: If carefully paired with proper cables and surrounding equipment, this DAC could really sing!

If a DAC sounds Schiity in the first place, it's the cables fault! :facepalm::facepalm:

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All this polychromatic crap is pretty funny. Not funny haha as much as funny peculiar.
Funny pathetic and funny tragic also come to mind.
The sort of humor that makes me throw up a little in my mouth. :)

Paraphrasing Mark Twain (without permission):
First, god made idiots. That was for practice.
Then, he made audio marketing writers.
Having learned from that, he made YouTube subjective reviewers.

odarg64

My favorite part of a recent review on a clearinghouse for shill marketing that shall not be named:

"The soundstage is wide with more height than depth, leaning toward an ellipsoid shape rather than a sphere. Although the soundstage is on the intimate side, but it never felt congested. Layering-wise, it's pretty accurate and nicely separated. Incoherency is non-existent here.

The position of the mix is always slightly above my eyes, which makes me feel like sitting in the front row of the concert hall. In terms of resolution and detail, I never feel like missing anything. The xxxxxx is also a very dynamic IEM, being able to render the slightest sound all the way to the explosion in an orchestra."
----
Incoherency indeed. :facepalm:

lc6

"Original analog signals, like the ones I've heard from 15ips tapes, always display a natural harmonic halo, a tangible radiant aura. When this halo is present during playback, I know I am experiencing a good level of accuracy."
"Now I am noticing that halo again—not just via triple-A analog but while streaming contemporary digital recordings through my xxx DACs. That same shimmering aura, or something very much like it, appeared in force when I switched from audio cables costing hundreds of dollars to more comprehensively engineered and meticulously manufactured cables costing thousands of dollars."

DonR

Major Contributor
"Original analog signals, like the ones I've heard from 15ips tapes, always display a natural harmonic halo, a tangible radiant aura. When this halo is present during playback, I know I am experiencing a good level of accuracy."
"Now I am noticing that halo again—not just via triple-A analog but while streaming contemporary digital recordings through my xxx DACs. That same shimmering aura, or something very much like it, appeared in force when I switched from audio cables costing hundreds of dollars to more comprehensively engineered and meticulously manufactured cables costing thousands of dollars."
You can't beat a good aura and don't forget to reinforce the notion that paying more for something is BOUND to improve things.

odarg64

Sounds like the 'reviewer' was suffering from complex migraine.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You may be surprised, but I've met (virtually, thanks God) an individual, physicist by trade, who was selling cables with a mercury conductive core.
Ken is a physicist? Really?

He's actually delightfully nuts. I mean truly CIA-laser-beam-mind-control nuts.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Pfft, Depeche Mode perhaps. Real heavy metal requires osmium cables.
Jern speakers logically are the right ones for the task.

I wonder if for my particular case, speakers made from bone would render good results, as I listen to a lot of Death Metal.

Bleib

Major Contributor
No idea about most but it's so, so easy to find absolute nonsense

Quick examples:
Cardas Clear rev.1: $4085/2m pair, terminated in spades
JM was most impressed by the Cardas Clear's low-frequency clarity and resolution, finding the Clear to give two or three more bass notes on a pipe organ, with a lower noisefloor and "spooky" resolution compared with his reference MIT MH-770 CVTerminator cables. "The best-sounding cables I have heard," he concluded. JA agrees that these are fine-sounding cables. (Vol.33 No.10 WWW)

Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker Cable: $29,600/3m pair
Compared to the new TARA Labs Omega Evolution, the Platinum Eclipse 7 is equally transparent, resolving, and dimensional, but less texturally supple and extended on top, with a less richly drawn midrange, said MF. (Vol.36 No.11)

rollmottle

My favorite part of a recent cable 'review' from a forum that shall not be named:

What immediately strikes about the xxxxxx is its liquid note presentation and smooth yet highly articulate nature. It has an L-shaped signature with a rich yet meticulously controlled bass presentation, large, highly resolved vocals and a smooth, refined top-end. The cable strikes me as being impressively spacious and it has a good if not market-leading technical foundation despite its darker character in the treble. To me, vocals are a highlight, presented with enhanced size, great definition and slightly higher contrast with counterbalancing warmth and top-end articulation. Rather than being dense, the midrange is well-extended but emboldened by the more robust low-end. Lows similarly inspire, and the densely packed conductors provide a sense of power similar to that observed on the xxxxxx. The xxxxxx provides an immediate boost to extension but does so in the cleanest manner I’ve yet seen with minimal introduction of muddiness or loss to separation. Bass upholds exemplary definition in the mid-bass and overall timbre showcases great authenticity.
LOL this is an impressive word salad, both in its pretentiousness and in its absolute meaninglessness. an achievement really.

rollmottle

The Positive Feedback (always good for a laugh) "review" of an $18,000 power strip called the PowerSlave Marble Statement: https://positive-feedback.com/Issue72/powerslave.htm

On a side note, for the longest time I've had a problem with image drift. Violin or woodwind soloists refused to stay put. (The rest of the stage was rock steady.) It didn't matter what gear I was using: when the soloist played in the midrange, he was dead center. As he moved up the scale, the image would start to veer left. The higher up he played, the further left he imaged. He would not stay put, regardless of what I tried. Eventually I stopped fussing and just accepted that was the way it was.

Case in point, the Prokofieff Violin Concerto, with Heifetz and Munch conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra (RCA shaded dog, LSC-2314).

Finally, the Marble locked Heifetz in place. The violinist was close-up, obviously spot-miked, front and center, quite distinct from the orchestra. The orchestra was behind and on either side and encircled him in a hemisphere, and probably had one mike on each side, placed at a distance.
drugs is the more plausible explanation than the $18,000 power strip.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Jern speakers logically are the right ones for the task.

I wonder if for my particular case, speakers made from bone would render good results, as I listen to a lot of Death Metal.

Why not, as long as you add enough “Vibrakill”.

Top Bottom