• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most Hyperbolic Review Phrases

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Yes Master.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I like Michael Fremer. He's not God but he's a cool dude. He's not the hyperbolic type, he's down-to-earth.

Our audio hobby is full of it...full of great people and lesser ones. It's up to us to know the reasons why some like to use more hyperbole than others.
They come from all venues of our societies, all classes.

We always make choices...the music we love, the gear we prefer, the medium, the artist musicians and singers.
And we share all that love among ourselves, here, and there...over there.

We judge no one, we simply accept everyone. ...Hyperbole or not; that is our own free choice as it is the free choice of professional audio writers.
This is audio were talking about here, and we all know what we like.
Nous sommes du soleil, we love when we play. - Yes

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Frantz, you replied to one of my posts with full honesty:

"North
Trying not to be mean but: How in the world can you infer from his writings that he's honest or sincere? It is one thing to have a positive outlook on things , it is another to accept gladly to walk in a dark alley in an ill reputed place because a person you have decided to be honest and sincere says so ... How you define an "experienced" audio writer? Reality is much worse that you would like it to be or you purposefully close your eyes to find positive in things that obviously have none. Since you don't seem to be spending your money on any of these overpriced stuff, you are safe but entirely avoiding to criticize is not very useful to those who have no experience and would like to learn.

I think I am at an apex of being very sour to High End Audio right now. I recently listened to a 2-ch system based on 3 DIY subs (Geddes config) and a pair of JBL LSR 308.... The DAC was an iFi micro DSD or such and that was it... The system may not have cost total $2000. This system did challenge many misconceptions... Perfect? No... Better than many expensive audiophile systems I have heard? Yes! Thus I have come to the conclusion that there is a lack of honesty in Audio Journalism, I am not accusing MF of anything ... just saying that some audio reviewers and some High End Audio manufacturers are much more cynical than even the most jaded audiophiles would be willing to accept."

_______

I replied with the best judgement that I believe in.
It's impossible to define people as it is for high-res audio. We just learn and appreciate what we assess in each and everything's life audio particle.

Speaking of defining high-res audio: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...ing-defining-high-res-audio.html#post46479569

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That was your other reply:

NS

"You seem to have construed my post as the usual: "Since you didn't spend much on your system you aren't worthy of an opinion". That's not my post is about rather I took exception at your tendency to see everything in a rosy shade. The AUdio magazines have been pandering to the ever costlier altar on a consistent basis: There isn't one expensive product that they don't like or that they label: "Game Changer". MF has been guilty of such however much he could be a nice person... in person :)...
I would like you to say once in a while, something which is not a Kumbaya.. If no one resists once in a while there won't be any nice person to sing Kumbaya methinks. Some time one needs to stop being nice and say things as they are perceived ... PC be damned and that is what I tried to do."
____

"Rosy shade". MF is a tremendous help to our young audio community as he is to the older one.
"Kumbaya", "resists", "won't be any nice person", "one needs to stop being nice and say things as they are perceived", ... "seem to have construed my post as the usual".

I don't know, my expertise is extremely limited. But on Michael I feel very confident.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I get a email from a dealer named The Music Room each Friday highlighting a few used pieces of gear they have for sale. Today I was curious of a speaker called the Omen Def Mk II, when reading their products descriptions and what a hoot of a writer they have. Just good humor.
Here an example.
"All new and ready to set your pants on fire"
"We introduced our new super-duper, high-output, nano-sanctified 10” full-range driver"
"continues to feature our really swell, high-output, nano-sanctified "
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-def-1b

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If anyone has a chance to speak to MF in person, one might notice he's not arrogant and he does know the shortcomings to all the things he does. He's aware of all the faults with Vinyl. He's not afraid to talk about it. IOW, he's not like many insane vinyl enthusiasts who think vinyl is somehow technically superior to digital. He's knows that's not the case and he will tell you that. He told me that. I didn't even ask him about it, btw. Bottom line, there are those reviewers who take themselves way too seriously and there are those who are just trying to have fun and genuinely want to help others do the same. MF falls into the latter group.

I don't doubt he's a nice guy. But he still writes fiction, and as long as Philip Roth has written a word I haven't read, I won't find much time to read MF. Roth is retired now. We could still get there. :)

Tim

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If anyone has a chance to speak to MF in person, one might notice he's not arrogant and he does know the shortcomings to all the things he does.

That might be the case, but that just makes it even harder to understand why he acts like such a raging a-hole in every single forum and comment thread he's ever participated in.

I've never met him in person, but judging from his internet-persona, he comes across as ridicoulusly insecure and overly defensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom