• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most Hyperbolic Review Phrases

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We tried the SPEC amps here, they didn't sound ' right' and if you used a source with a highish output voltage they would pop and spit viciously , run to save the speakers vicious, I did write to the manufacturer on several occasions but the next model we received suffered and sounded exactly the same.
Another Uk distributor has taken them on now, I believe.
Keith

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
North
Trying not to be mean but: How in the world can you infer from his writings that he's honest or sincere? It is one thing to have a positive outlook on things , it is another to accept gladly to walk in a dark alley in an ill reputed place because a person you have decided to be honest and sincere says so ... How you define an "experienced" audio writer? It seems to me the reality is much worse that you would like it to be or that you purposefully close your eyes to find positive in things that obviously have none. Since you don't seem to be spending your money in any of these stuff, you are safe but entirely avoiding criticisms is not very useful to those who have no experience and would like to learn.

I think I am at an apex of being very sour to High End Audio right now. I recently listened to a 2-ch system based on 3 DIY subs (Geddes config) and a pair of JBL LSR 308.... The DAC was an iFi micro DSD or such and that was it... The system may not have cost total $2000. This system did challenge many misconceptions... Perfect? No... Better than many expensive audiophile systems I have heard? Yes! Thus I have come to the conclusion that there is a lack of honesty in Audio Journalism, I am not accusing MF of anything ... just saying that some audio reviewers and some High End Audio manufacturers are much more cynical than even the most jaded audiophiles would be willing to accept.

Yep. I've read one review that criticized the 308s. It said that the cheap construction of the cabinets didn't hold up well in the larger model, creating some odd resonances. No measurements to back that up, but it seems logical. I've read several reviews of the 305s (which would be more than enough with subs unless you require the extra volume). They all said basically the same thing, that they were an amazing accomplishment at that price point. At $350 a pair, including amplification, I suspect they're probably a pretty amazing accomplishment at 20 or 30 times their price point.

Tim

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
If anyone has a chance to speak to MF in person, one might notice he's not arrogant and he does know the shortcomings to all the things he does. He's aware of all the faults with Vinyl. He's not afraid to talk about it. IOW, he's not like many insane vinyl enthusiasts who think vinyl is somehow technically superior to digital. He's knows that's not the case and he will tell you that. He told me that. I didn't even ask him about it, btw. Bottom line, there are those reviewers who take themselves way too seriously and there are those who are just trying to have fun and genuinely want to help others do the same. MF falls into the latter group.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone has a chance to speak to MF in person, one might notice he's not arrogant and he does know the shortcomings to all the things he does. He's aware of all the faults with Vinyl. He's not afraid to talk about it. IOW, he's not like many insane vinyl enthusiasts who think vinyl is somehow technically superior to digital. He's knows that's not the case and he will tell you that. He told me that. I didn't even ask him about it, btw. Bottom line, there are those reviewers who take themselves way too seriously and there are those who are just trying to have fun and genuinely want to help others do the same. MF falls into the latter group.

Fair enough ... I don't know MF personally.
I maintain that some Audio "Journalists" and several High End Audio manufacturers are cynics and I am being nice.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well of course there is a man then there is his job...

TBone

Major Contributor

My experience exactly, he`s also been very helpful, even taking time out of his day to research and respond (as he did one of my queries not related to vinyl).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My take on it all is that for the exception of a very few, (like Kal) the reviewers and manufacturers climbed in bed together long ago. They've formed a high end audio good ole boys club with the acquisition of $ the number one priority.
Don't know what MF says in private Keith, but his very public stance and promotion of vinyl as the ultimate source has created a enormous money making machine for many and whether semi-upfront thru advertising dollars and wages/bonuses and gear perks from manufacturers or plain ole under the table payola the whole business stinks to high heaven.
Not to single out vinyl, the little back padding that's gone on over cable is at least equally as bad.
The dark days started here,
http://www.stereophile.com//asweseeit/483/#LpQtbyyLYHZZ7wzS.97
And The Beat Goes On and On and On.
I may have fallen off a turnip truck, but it wasn't just last night guys. LOL

TBone

Major Contributor
... I don't give MF nearly as much credit for anything vinyl. Contrary to belief, vinylphiles don't all chase him around like lemmings. I've probably read more of his digital reviews than vinyl (even relatively recently auditioned a cdp, based on his review). The main reason I read his vinyl reviews is provenance information.

The vast majority of reviews contain hype, some worse than others. Stopped buying SP & TAS a very long time ago because the only thing of interest was the news, and music reviews. Webzines have since taken the art of hyping to an all new level ...

TBone

Major Contributor
Not to single out vinyl, the little back padding that's gone on over cable is at least equally as bad

cable hype is bad enough, for me tho, from day 1, DSD became thee most hyped format ever, but that's not to say it can't be mastered to sound great ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
cable hype is bad enough, for me tho, from day 1, DSD became thee most hyped format ever, but that's not to say it can't be mastered to sound great ...
+1
And soon to be added to the list and take digital music delivery hostage,
MQA

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Frantz, I agree with you; I am not worthy of an opinion. I never spent more than five grands for a single piece of audio gear.
Plus, I never met in person Michael. Plus, I don't have his set of ears.

I sincerely apologize to you and to the entire audiophile community for my inexperience and expressing an opinion.
I thought Michael was always sincere; I learned to appreciate his writings for the last ... I can't remember ... it doesn't matter.

I am going to play in my sand box now, with my Tonka trucks. :)
Thank you to put me where I should be; you are right and I am wrong. Together we can move forward for a better world.

By the way, there are other audio reviewers with hyperbolic words that I question much much more than Mickey's own words.

Cheers,

TBone

Major Contributor
By the way, there are other audio reviewers with hyperbolic words that I question much much more than Mickey's own words.

(Hyper)Positive Feedback & 6 Balloons first come to mind ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
(Hyper)Positive Feedback & 6 Balloons first come to mind ...
Don't slag 6 balloons Keith's just paid them to review the kii three :D

It's funny how guys slag off the HIFI press until they give a gd review of your products then you plaster web with them :D:D

Humans:D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Frantz, I agree with you; I am not worthy of an opinion. I never spent more than five grands for a single piece of audio gear.

I sincerely apologize to you and to the entire audiophile community for my inexperience and expressing an opinion.
I thought Michael was always sincere; I learned to appreciate his writings for the last ... I can't remember ... it doesn't matter.

Thank you to put me where I should be; you are right and I am wrong. Together we can move forward for a better world.

Cheers,
top sarcasm Bob , keep up the good work :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor

For what it's worth: Well said Michael...I agree much so, very.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Fair enough ... I don't know MF personally.
I maintain that some Audio "Journalists" and several High End Audio manufacturers are cynics and I am being nice.

You are always nice Frantz, always have been; this is your home here. :)

TBone

Major Contributor
It's funny how guys slag off the HIFI press until they give a gd review of your products then you plaster web with them

good review=any review, can't really tell the difference these days.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cheers,

NS

You seem to have construed my post as the usual: "Since you didn't spend much on your system you aren't worthy of an opinion". That's not my post is about rather I took exception at your tendency to see everything in a rosy shade. The AUdio magazines have been pandering to the ever costlier altar on a consistent basis: There isn't one expensive product that they don't like or that they label: "Game Changer". MF has been guilty of such however much he could be a nice person... in person :)...
I would like you to say once in a while, something which is not a Kumbaya.. If no one resists once in a while there won't be any nice person to sing Kumbaya methinks. Some time one needs to stop being nice and say things as they are perceived ... PC be damned and that is what I tried to do.

Top Bottom