• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most expensive speaker??????

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Von Schweikert Ultra 11’s are the most expensive speakers I’ve ever spent several hours listening to:
F87D81C6-575C-4DA8-87F2-F16EDC78484A.jpeg

At $295,000 a pair they’d be on my lottery jackpot shortlist.

Martin

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The thing that gets me about most of these designs is they are passive speakers to be connected to a conventional 2.0 stereo system, with their huge scale enabling full range frequency response. Especially for the subwoofer frequencies an active design is preferable, and subwoofers typically shouldn’t be located in the same place as your mains.

In all likelihood, even if they are designed well for what they are, these speakers will be inferior to more modest excellent speakers paired with subs.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing that gets me about most of these designs is they are passive speakers to be connected to a conventional 2.0 stereo system, with their huge scale enabling full range frequency response. Especially for the subwoofer frequencies an active design is preferable, and subwoofers typically shouldn’t be located in the same place as your mains.

In all likelihood, even if they are designed well for what they are, these speakers will be inferior to more modest excellent speakers paired with subs.
I'd say at a minimum in a larger room this is less of an issue. The Schroeder frequency goes down in a large room. So these designs are more likely to be used in a really large room. And that means it may not effect the bottom end nearly so much as in smaller rooms that the woofers are with the rest of the speaker.

dshreter

I'd say at a minimum in a larger room this is less of an issue. The Schroeder frequency goes down in a large room. So these designs are more likely to be used in a really large room. And that means it may not effect the bottom end nearly so much as in smaller rooms that the woofers are with the rest of the speaker.
That’s a good point that I hadn’t considered. What size room does the Schroeder drop below low bass?

I still believe in a cost no object system that you could realize better performance in an active design and by utilizing subwoofers.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
This may be a contender. Not yet available, the German Physiks Guadi III. I don't have a clue what it will cost in 2022.
gaudi-mk-iii.png
About 100 dollars of mdf at today's prices. It will be heavy. Ever load up MDF to back of pickup? The routed speaker openings would take about 15 minutes with a template. What a joke.

dshreter

Those are going to fall all apart before they fill a really large room at volume compared to the megabuck speakers.
How big of a room are you imagining? Top of the line Genelec should be loud enough to reach reference levels in a movie theater. Why would you setup a hifi system in a room bigger than that? At that point you need PA sound, not 2.0

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which physics, those Genelecs have 2x 18" woofers, would like to see one of those previously shown high end loudspeakers with more bass surface and being able to achieve 125-130 dB at one meter (single) with like the Genelecs do. All high end loudspeakers measured in the German magazines Audio and Stereoplay usually don't even reach 110 dB.

thorvat

What you need for stereo speakers to sound "big" in a large room is to have wide (and of course linear) directivity, especially horizontal. More drivers (thus lasrger size of the speaker) is also a must, but ablitiy to produce clean 110dB at LF is quite sufficient as more is rarely a requirement.

Top Bottom