• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most cost effective upgrade route?

sea

hi guys,

what's the most cost effective upgrade I could take for my current setup?

am using:
kef lsx II
listening about 1.5m away from the speakers, they are used on my desk with my pc.
no sub, no eq (only whatever settings in the kef connect app)
used for music / youtube most of the time
small bedroom, hard wood floor, no room treatment, little furniture apart from cabinets, and a bed directly opposite the speakers

looking at:
minidsp mic for eq (actually don't know how this would work, currently using the kef connect app settings where i input my room size etc.)
making rockwool panels to cover my walls (would be very cheap apart from taking up time, but will they do much for my setup?)
subwoofer (i don't think i could fit multiple subs in my room, so only 1)

thanks for reading :D

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sub woofer by far, but you will need something like the minidsp to integrate it.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measurement mic would be the right place to start in my opinion, so you can measure what you are getting and take it from there, and see whether the changes you are making are taking you towards where you wanna go. There is a lot of information on how to use REW software and a measurement mic to measure the sound you get in your room and correct anomalies, and once you got a set of measurements, you can post them here and ask for help - most experienced and knowledgeable people here are generally very helpful.

Trdat

Forum Donor
You can pick up a mic on the cheap including an audio interface, and learning REW should be a prerequisite if your going down this rabbit hole of upgrades. I agree with IAtaman, go for a mic get a feel after you can decide what the best upgrade for you is. But in terms of sonic improvement subwoofer at least for me is by far the best move.

OP
S

sea

thanks for the response guys, will probably get a minidsp umik-1 before anything else then.
are there any good active subwoofers under or around 500usd? i hope the kef lsx ii subwoofer output isn't an issue, haven't seen anyone mention that online

Vince2

Begin with improving your source. Subscribe to a good music streaming service, and work your way up, knowing that your weakest link will need to most attention.

Zapper

thanks for the response guys, will probably get a minidsp umik-1 before anything else then.
are there any good active subwoofers under or around 500usd? i hope the kef lsx ii subwoofer output isn't an issue, haven't seen anyone mention that online
Sure. You don't need a big sub or a lot of power for a small room. 8" subs from Monoprice or Dayton Audio cost about $130. Polk, JBL, Klipsch, have models < $300 on up. AudioEngine S8, $350. Pretty much every mainstream speaker company has at least one small sub under $500.

Since your speakers have a sub out, you don't need a miniDSP (alrhough you will want one). Just wire sub out to the input of the sub and twiddle with the phase and volume controls on the sub and experiment with placement until it sounds good. If you want to get technical then you get the mic and REW and head down that rabbit hole!

Zapper

How will you hook up the minidsp? Normally it goes between the streaming source and the amp. But both of those are inside your speaker. You could use an external streamer like the WiiM into a miniDSP into your speaker but then you lose the all-in-one elegence of an integrated solution.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Why? The LSXIi has a sub out.
I've tried sub outs, there usually is a seemless integatration it works but cutting your lower frequencies to the Kef gives you heaps more SPL and less distortion. Plus you get to choose your crossover frequency. All depends how much you want to spend.

Zapper

I've tried sub outs, there usually is a seemless integatration it works but cutting your lower frequencies to the Kef gives you heaps more SPL and less distortion. Plus you get to choose your crossover frequency. All depends how much you want to spend.
I just looked at the manual for the LSX ii. The speaker has DSP functions built in, including low pass (40-210 Hz) and high pass (50-120 Hz) filters for sub and speaker. It has internal network streaming too. REW and a mic would help with these settings:
Understanding the Subwoofer Settings
Subwoofer/Speaker Balance (Basic Mode): This controls the bass output between the subwoofer and the speakers. If the slider is moved more to “Subwoofer”, most of the bass output will be handled by the subwoofer.
High-Pass Frequency: Frequencies above the set point will be played by the speakers.
Sub Out Low-Pass Frequency: Frequencies below the set point will be handled by the subwoofer. This can overlap with the high-pass frequency to help integrate the speaker/ subwoofer more effectively with no dip or peak in overall response.
Sub Gain: This changes the signal level output to the subwoofer.
Sub Polarity: Ideally, the speakers and subwoofer should be moving in the same direction at the same time, otherwise frequencies can be cancelled out. Switching the polarity of the subwoofer can resolve a perceived lack of bass response.
Capture.PNG

HairyEars

Room treatment is the most effective way to improve your sound. How to go about it is a different discussion. However, if your room suffers from comb filter echo — which all small rooms do— a sub or a better source won’t eliminate the problem. Only creating a reflection free zone will.

Taking measurements in a small room is meaningless. It’s usually such a mass, there’s little to learn from.

If you can move the speakers away from the front wall by over 1.1 meters, a sub will take care of front wall cancellation. Still, first create a reflection free zone. Anything else is a waste of money and energy since you won’t be pleased with the sound.

Trdat

Forum Donor
D
I just looked at the manual for the LSX ii. The speaker has DSP functions built in, including low pass (40-210 Hz) and high pass (50-120 Hz) filters for sub and speaker. It has internal network streaming too. REW and a mic would help with these settings:

View attachment 274545

DSP respect.

So in this case I would definitely go with a sub for an upgrade. There is DSP and a very well measuring speaker. So a few measurements isn't going to give you the wow the OP is looking for from a new mic and REW. Of course it is an important upgrade but it just depends what the OP wants to prioritize.

Reactions: sea
OP
S

sea

thanks to everyone who left a response, i'm pretty new to speakers so the help is much appreciated :)
if i were to go the rew route i should turn off the kef room settings right? or would i be able to use a mic to figure out what the best settings are in the app? i don't really use the speakers wirelessly, only with my PC so it wouldn't be an issue if I had to turn off the app settings.

Top Bottom