• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most common component names?

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I made a diagram for a friend to explain the names of common components and how they compare. Does this look right? I don't think 2, 3 or 4 exist, but what would 1 be called? Outlaw RR2160 fits that bill but they just called it a receiver.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.00.01 AM.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice diagram. What is the intention and result? :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I had so much trouble with consistent classification in the review index, especially with multifunction units. Streamers and phono preamps add to the mess.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are missing a description for the intersection of Amplifier and DAC. Wouldn't a DAC/Amp with digital gain (like a Sabaj D5) sit here?

OP
ripmixburn

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I had so much trouble with consistent classification in the review index, especially with multifunction units. Streamers and phono preamps add to the mess.

Taxonomies are hard! I did a different diagram for the streaming features.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.26.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 9.26.48 AM.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 94

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That's really clever. I wonder if the review table can be revizualized using stuff like that. >2000 entries, mind you.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not to familiar wit the platform you use for that but is it possible to use something akin to tag clouds and put the same device in multiple categories?

Taxonomies are hard! I did a different diagram for the streaming features.

Especially when all these products are just made up by people. What do you call a DAC/preamp/amp/streamer/NAS/router/access point/smart home control center?

A chimera?

At least in biology you have cladistics!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If you think of it, the ones with questions are with tuners. Actually I don't even know what a tuner is....

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm not to familiar wit the platform you use for that but is it possible to use something akin to tag clouds and put the same device in multiple categories?
No, I'd have to reformat the database and then get the front-end to show it. This is actually in the works, I just need some time to make it happen.

The main issue is that it's just hard for the presentation to be intuitive when it's in the form of a table. There's a lot of clicking and unclicking and a lot of filtering to get it show the details that we talk about.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Actually I don't even know what a tuner is....

Receives broadcast radio - am/fm/etc. You "tune" to the station you want. In old tuner, by adjusting a capacitor in the antenna path.

Usually not referring to wifi/bluetooth

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I made a diagram for a friend to explain the names of common components and how they compare. Does this look right? I don't think 2, 3 or 4 exist, but what would 1 be called? Outlaw RR2160 fits that bill but they just called it a receiver.

View attachment 57759
If you add a speaker and a CD drive to 1 it's called an all-in-one system.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool diagram! Will reference when friends ask for system advice.

Especially when all these products are just made up by people. What do you call a DAC/preamp/amp/streamer/NAS/router/access point/smart home control center?
"Master of None"

More seriously, I'm pretty sure that audio components are most commonly named Alexa, Google & Siri.

Top Bottom