• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Waxx

Major Contributor
I like the look of these B&C M12 mk2s a lot.
index.php

Never heared them so i can't say how they sound.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tuga who posts here occasionally had a pair I believe.
Keith

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've always wanted to hear those speakers. Intriguing design!
The up-tilted woofer makes sense since it would reduce the floor bass boost and you don't have to worry as much about it's off-axis behavior or beaming since it's a bass driver to begin with. I would how Amir would measure it since my understanding is that the in-room response graphs are an assumption based on how other speakers behave in a normal room (?). Edit- I suppose that graph uses the vertical radiation measurements from the Klippel to help predict the in-room response and so the behavior of that speaker would probably still be accurately predicted.

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
But but but ... "you don't have to worry as much about it's off-axis behavior or beaming since it's a bass driver" implies that tilting it a little won't "reduce the floor bass boost", precisely because it's radiating almost omni.

Near-omni radiation is why speakers have historically had woofers (and ports) pointing every which way (sideways, up, down, ...).

cavedriver

But but but ... "you don't have to worry as much about it's off-axis behavior or beaming since it's a bass driver" implies that tilting it a little won't "reduce the floor bass boost", precisely because it's radiating almost omni.

Near-omni radiation is why speakers have historically had woofers (and ports) pointing every which way (sideways, up, down, ...).
yeah, good point, for very low frequencies (less than 100 Hz? 80 apparently looking at the THX cutoff?) the direction doesn't matter and we're only looking at sound energy and not directionality, but depending on where the crossover to that mid is there is probably still significant music content where directivity matters.

Wolf

My opinion of the Thiel 3.7 was that they needed more PR surface area. The coax was nice.
I also heard the 2.4SE, and felt the bass range was better behaved, as well as really liking the mechanically crossovered 4" "quasi-coax" unit with it.

Shortly thereafter, they brought out the 2.7 hybrid, which is likely the best of both worlds. I have not heard those.

cavedriver

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The CS3.7 looks cool:

186Theil3_7b.jpg

Yup! I have rarely if ever heard a speaker more coherent from top to bottom, so "boxless" and tonally revealing through the whole spectrum.

Here is my pair of Thiel 3.7s that I sold a while back (from my listing). Probably the best sound I ever had in my room, but just a bit too big so I had to go for the slightly smaller Thiel 2.7s to replace them:

Thiel 3.7 Speakers - Rare! - Premium Morado Finish!

Thiel 3.7 Speakers - Rare! - Premium Morado Finish!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion of the Thiel 3.7 was that they needed more PR surface area. The coax was nice.
I also heard the 2.4SE, and felt the bass range was better behaved, as well as really liking the mechanically crossovered 4" "quasi-coax" unit with it.

Shortly thereafter, they brought out the 2.7 hybrid, which is likely the best of both worlds. I have not heard those.

Interesting. The 3.7s had the most well behaved bass I ever experienced in my room. It was one of the stand out features.

I replaced them with the 2.7s which I love. The 2.7s are a little bit less detailed and boxless/transparent sounding, slightly smaller soundstage/imaging, slightly less deep bass, and slightly less tight bass - I have a little "bulge" I have to deal with that I never had with the 3.7s. All that said, the 2.7s actually sound a bit more dense and punchy compared to the 3.7s, so I'm ok with the trade-off.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I like the look of these B&C M12 mk2s a lot.
The completely different wood type, stain color, etc; between the top horn and bass cabinet
would drive me crazy?
I hope the picture is from a audio show hotel room, the drapes behind the speakers are unbelievably fugly.

I love these.
p67000daylight-f-c-superscript-three-1920x864.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The completely different wood type, stain color, etc; between the top horn and bass cabinet
would drive me crazy?
I hope the picture is from a audio show hotel room, the drapes behind the speakers are unbelievably fugly.

I love these.
p67000daylight-f-c-superscript-three-1920x864.png
After falling in love with the JBL 250Ti because of the top end and astonishing mid bass thump I can only fall for these too. Dual 18 inchers = rock and roll de jour speaker.

Top Bottom