• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No need for physic-defying carpets. Ordinary carpets are good abosrbing materials for all frequencies above 1kHz
Read: they are bad at absorbing where it most matters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
20921.png
Does this speaker come with a free copy of:
Also spoke Zarathustra ?
It should . . . . :cool:

Last edited:

LearningToSmile

Most of the speakers shown in this thread look hideous to me. I have the good fortune to find my KEF R11s to both sound wonderful and look ... well ... unobtrusive.

20921.Jpg
I never actually looked close enough at R11 pictures with the grille on to notice that it's not just a plain fabric cover but actually has separate patterns for each driver. Neat look.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Read: I was answering to this:

Tweeter operating range is above 1kHz, so carpets are very good at absorbing where the most of the tweeter output is.
OK, great you made your point over and over here. You win and we are done with this discussion. Let’s get back on track with the intention of this conversation please. ;)

Vladimir Filevski

OK, last post from me in this thread.
Form follows function - Dynaudio Confidence 5:

dynaudio-confidence-5.jpg

More manageable dimensions than monstrous Dynaudio Consequence (pictured before), but with the same time-align concept.

1. There is no evidence to support time alignment. We do it, but afaik it's unproven, as long as phase sums to achieve the response. The time alignment difference is inaudible.

2. A tweeter run off axis from the floor in a five way, is not the same as a tweeter just below the mid woofer, and only slightly off axis from the LP. I guess you can test it by putting the inverted bookshelf on the floor.

1. There is a plenty of evidence for time alignment (and it is proven!) - carefully read the AES paper "A time-Align Technique for Loudspeaker System Design" by Edward M. Long:
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=2283

Good crossover designs lead to inaudible difference with different time offsets between drivers - that is true. But if someone insist on first-order crossover (Dynaudio comes to my mind) and the perfect step response, than the only way to achieve that with tweeter on the top (TMW) is to use time alignment by physically offsetting the drivers (stepped baffle), or by inverting the whole driver arrangement (WMT).

2. Here is the real-life test:
Frequency response of conventional 3-way speaker (midrange below tweeter - TMW) with flat front plate (non-stepped baffle) with first order crossover (0.58mH on midrange and 1.8uF on tweeter), without the woofer:
Conventional TM_SPL.png

And the step response:

Conventional TM_step resp.png

The same drivers and the same first order crossover (2.7uF cap on tweeter instead of 1.8uF), but inverted (midrange above tweeter - WMT), speaker box laying on the floor, without the woofer:

Inverted MT_SPL.png

And the (almost) perfect step-response:
Inverted MT_perf_step resp.png

I am done with this discussion.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But if someone insist on first-order crossover (Dynaudio comes to my mind) and the perfect step response, than the only way to achieve that with tweeter on the top (TMW) is to use time alignment by physically offsetting the drivers (stepped baffle), or by inverting the whole driver arrangement (WMT).

My very unique physical layout of horn super-tweeters would be somewhat relating to the above comment, I assume.

In any way, in my DSP multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier fully active setup, I could establish perfect (0.1 msec precision) time alignment throughout all the SP drivers (sub-woofers, woofers, midrange drivers, tweeters, super-tweeters) and L to R, as summarized in my post here.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
OK, last post from me in this thread.
Form follows function - Dynaudio Confidence 5:

More manageable dimensions than monstrous Dynaudio Consequence (pictured before), but with the same time-align concept.

1. There is a plenty of evidence for time alignment (and it is proven!) - carefully read the AES paper "A time-Align Technique for Loudspeaker System Design" by Edward M. Long:
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=2283

Good crossover designs lead to inaudible difference with different time offsets between drivers - that is true. But if someone insist on first-order crossover (Dynaudio comes to my mind) and the perfect step response, than the only way to achieve that with tweeter on the top (TMW) is to use time alignment by physically offsetting the drivers (stepped baffle), or by inverting the whole driver arrangement (WMT).

2. Here is the real-life test:
Frequency response of conventional 3-way speaker (midrange below tweeter - TMW) with flat front plate (non-stepped baffle) with first order crossover (0.58mH on midrange and 1.8uF on tweeter), without the woofer:
View attachment 251175

And the step response:

View attachment 251166

The same drivers and the same first order crossover (2.7uF cap on tweeter instead of 1.8uF), but inverted (midrange above tweeter - WMT), speaker box laying on the floor, without the woofer:

View attachment 251174

And the (almost) perfect step-response:
View attachment 251176
I am done with this discussion.
The real question is why can’t Dynaudio adequately flush mount their drivers?

This seems to be a pervasive problem with the brand.

Technical prowess aside, they look like slightly off diy speakers!

cavedriver

They have the beauty of a perfect brick.:rolleyes:
I think there's some 4/3's gold ratio stuff going on there, those circles seem to be just the right size in proportion to the faces. Plus the wood finish and you have a winner in my book. Of course something more complicated could be made beautiful as well, it just gets progressively harder, as most designers will tell you.

Top Bottom