• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Recluse-Animator

Yeah, it seemed to me that I could not even get out of the starting gate per say with some of the rosters of players. The game would commence and I would be either hidden or moving and bam within seconds I would be fragged. I never figured that one out. I'm no slouch when it comes to FPS games and so I was miffed. For that reason I lost interest in CS:GO. :D What I do like about the game is that they use the HL2 engine and that does not require expensive hardware to play these days.
I don't know what map you'r talking about since I didn't play CS: GO, but in CS there's a map named Dust and if your too slow to move from the starting position you could be sniper shot in the head through the doors or walls. Same can be said about some starting positions on other maps too. An experienced player knows exactly where the spawn positions are and if hes already got a rifle or Desert Eagle and the other player is buying equipment in the spawn position he's at risk of being shot dead before he starts moving.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what map you'r talking about since I didn't play CS: GO, but in CS there's a map named Dust and if your too slow to move from the starting position you could be sniper shot in the head through the doors or walls. Same can be said about some starting positions on other maps too. An experienced player knows exactly where the spawn positions are and if hes already got a rifle or Desert Eagle and the other player is buying equipment in the spawn position he's at risk of being shot dead before he starts moving.
That would do it. I'm pretty sure we've all played Dust. Due to popularity it was carried over into CS: GO. :D

Recluse-Animator

That would do it. I'm pretty sure we've all played Dust. Due to popularity it was carried over into CS: GO. :D
The server I was an admin on only had a map named Assault. I did play on other servers too tough. I don't know why, but I didn't like Dust.

Sorry guys for off topic.

Omar Cumming

Perhaps I am mistaken but isn't this thread about beautiful speakers not shooter games for those with arrested development Start your own thread!

Sheesh

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Not the most beautiful in the world, but I made them and I think they turned out pretty classy!

I was going to make grills but my wife said: “What do those things do? They look way better without them!”

Attachments

• 2C7BA52E-6DCC-4753-93A2-5A041D2F54A2.jpeg
    2C7BA52E-6DCC-4753-93A2-5A041D2F54A2.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 183
  • C96E14BD-9B9E-4FF4-926C-FFE49578FE61.jpeg
    C96E14BD-9B9E-4FF4-926C-FFE49578FE61.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 174
  • 195CD39B-D0EA-4E4D-9CF3-6E4AE9C07021.jpeg
    195CD39B-D0EA-4E4D-9CF3-6E4AE9C07021.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 176

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the most beautiful in the world, but I made them and I think they turned out pretty classy!

I was going to make grills but my wife said: “What do those things do? They look way better without them!”
It's like tiger stripes.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
It's like tiger stripes.
Yup! In position in the room they don’t stand out too much from a distance but when you get close there is a lot going on!

(I know the positioning is not ideal, but Dirac does a great job cleaning up the effects of their suboptimal placement).

Attachments

• B390DCE1-5A7F-45A3-BB82-43AD2125CD94.jpeg
    B390DCE1-5A7F-45A3-BB82-43AD2125CD94.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 160

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup! In position in the room they don’t stand out too much from a distance but when you get close there is a lot going on!
They are astonishing. They appear to be so rough hewn but it is the woodgrain and the inner tiger stripe stuff.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
you know... I am amused by the images posted by so many folks here of the valiant efforts of loudspeaker designers, scratching in the dirt of their cave floors with pointed stones or sticks (metaphorically speaking), while the apeothesis of aesthetic loudspeaker design and construction has gone without mention.

Herewith, the sine qua non, courtesy of the Japan(ese) Victor Corporation (JVC).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

(not mine -- I am not worthy to posess such nonpareils of audio artistry)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
you know... I am amused by the images posted by so many folks here of the valiant efforts of loudspeaker designers, scratching in the dirt of their cave floors with pointed stones or sticks (metaphorically speaking), while the apeothesis of aesthetic loudspeaker design and construction has gone without mention.

Herewith, the sine qua non, courtesy of the Japan(ese) Victor Corporation (JVC).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Red'n sliver de jour or black'n silver. very nice. I sold JVC in the PC-55 & PC-550 heyday and it was a riot selling big heavy blasters.

Omar Cumming

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yikes! Looks like it escaped from the boiler room of a factory somewhere.

Cheers

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Great cabinet work. I've forgotten the name for those patterns that appear across the grain (rays maybe?) but they come up really well and are nicely matched.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Paging @restorer-john. Did JVC formerly make some good audio equipment under the brand name 'Victor'?

At least in the States, one hardly ever sees JVC-branded devices on sale any more. JVC's VHS/CD manufacturing plant in my childhood hometown closed some years ago.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My next sub
Now that's what I call a SubWoofer!
I could mount it in a hole on an outside wall and support it with a couple large timbers going down to a concrete slab.
Hummm, the brain's firing off ideas already. LOL

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beautiful speakers. Either an oxymoron or the most subjective part of the hobby.
I actually like the design language that Wilson invented. The oddly high-tech but sculptural cabinets with automotive finishes are extremely distinctive and work extremely well for most of the designs, but when they start making the super big models they start to become a big gregarious. The milled metal sides really don't work on the chronosonic, also, the name is lame to me.

I mean Wilson speakers are obviously 90% robb report intellect marketing, superstition and everything but I give them credit for making some of the most impactful speaker designs of all time. Look how far they came:
Wilson-WAMM-7-1200x630-manifesto-4.jpg

I think the Watt/Puppy was their best design:
WATT-Puppy-7--01-responsive.jpg

I love the little angled cuts at the back of the cabinet, and the beautifully turned feet, and the grilles. Lots of people tried to make a speaker with this massing and few pulled it off - Vandersteen, Von Schweikert, etc. Dave Wilson had a clear vision about aspirational audio and it came through in his products.

Top Bottom