• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Simply Stereo

Dealer
I found those speakers stunning, hoping they were big, and saw this :

DS7_Lifestyle_2_190823_154357.jpg

Thought that was it until I realise they were not the same. This is the cute & small edition.
Those are unbelievably cool!! One of the coolest small form factor desktop speakers I've ever seen.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The engineering side of me is aghast at some of these cabinets which contribute absolutely nothing to function, and in many cases, may degrade sound quality. Form should follow function. The rest of it is subjective art.

What’s nice is that you can also buy subjective art. Subjective art that plays well can be just as satisfying as functional art that is superior but perhaps less attractive.

Harman had done a lot of research to show that you need multiple subwoofers to get the best sound field and they are proponents of large 18” subs

But many people still like subwoofers to be more attractive.

Or perhaps, more
floor-speakers-jbl-everest-dd67000.jpg

I really like them. I wonder how they would fare in Amir or Eric's measurements. I am also very curious if it would be possible to create a DIY project in the style of these JBLs ...

The cabinets alone are $6K USD from one of the surplus resellers, not to mention freight shipping costs. There is a lot that can be done to improve the system with digital crossovers/EQ, for example. But with cabinets that price, I feel like a pair of used DD65000/66000/67000’s would be cheaper than trying to DIY with a new old stock cabinet

Here is the K2 S9900 which is a close cousin to the Everest

The on axis FR isn’t that flat for the Everest

But what isn’t shown is the very low THD of those transducers

Or the fact that it is only designed to go down to 45Hz anechoic despite dual 15” woofers and a ported design!

This lets them achieve 96 dB/2.83V @ 1m and is designed to handle 500W RMS! When you do the math, it seems silly if you wanted to protect your hearing but then you realize that the target owner who has the Everest over any other similarly priced speaker probably also has a room grand enough to benefit from that type of power/efficiency. Alternatively, this is also a speaker that can pair nicely with something like the Topping LA90 and not run out of power.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And they don't sound like poop.
It could have been the setup at Axpona, but that time, they did sound like poop. The next year I felt the same way too.

They did not have enough baffle step comp, and the mid had a resonance problem that was not addressed in the xover. This was 2014 and 2016, iirc. I have not heard a pair of Kef coaxes to this point that did not have that mid problem, but my experiences are 6 years old at best.

I know they supposedly measure well as seen here, but the listening experience I've had says different.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
floor-speakers-jbl-everest-dd67000.jpg

I really like them. I wonder how they would fare in Amir or Eric's measurements. I am also very curious if it would be possible to create a DIY project in the style of these JBLs ...
There has also been made a JBL mini-Everest DIY: link :)

How it was made: see here (and the youtube-poster has more videos of it as well).

Screenshot 2022-06-20 105122.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Harman had done a lot of research to show that you need multiple subwoofers to get the best sound field

Yes.

and they are proponents of large 18” subs

Hold on a minute. Does JBL Synthesis line even have an 18” driver sub model? Has Revel ever done one other than that one Ultima sub, which I believe is EOL? None of Harman’s other domestic focused lines even have an 18” sub that I know of.

IMO people on forums wildly overestimate their sub needs. Note what the experts use. Dr. Toole uses 4 12’s in closed boxes with a Salon2/Voice2 LCR. Dr. Olive uses 2 10” (I think) Revel subs with Performa 206 or 226.

Waxx

Major Contributor
A 10 or 12 inch sub is often more than enough concerning volume. Certainly when you use a few spread over the room. And yes, they can go low. I had a diy sub with a 10" that got to 25hz at 102dB (for a pair) without issues or running out of xmax. And that was loud enough to make my whole house shake on it's foundations...

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Indeed biggest sub JBL offers now is dual 15", and Revel single 12".

Since JBL Everest was mentioned take a look at this custom blue one with carbon fibre
Screenshot_20220620-165444_Gallery.jpg

Jon AA

Forum Donor
IMO people on forums wildly overestimate their sub needs. Note what the experts use. Dr. Toole uses 4 12’s in closed boxes with a Salon2/Voice2 LCR. Dr. Olive uses 2 10” (I think) Revel subs with Performa 206 or 226.
I think it makes a big difference what people care about the most. For those who mostly care about music listening, that's one thing. For anybody who really enjoys action movies at theater-like listening levels, that's another. I'd venture to guess for the latter it's the other way around.

There's a big difference in required output capability for subs between handling the bass for two speakers (largely with limited material below 40 Hz anyway) vs. handling the bass for 11-15 speakers, then playing the LFE channel on top of that (which is 10 db hotter than the rest). A whole lot of sub combinations can be more than one would ever need for the first scenario while being woefully inadequate for the second.

Indeed biggest sub JBL offers now is dual 15", and Revel single 12".

That dual 15" JBL weighs 350 lbs, calls for 5000 W RMS and has a -6 dB point of 15 Hz. So it's quite capable. ;)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hold on a minute. Does JBL Synthesis line even have an 18” driver sub model?

Not currently but at the time of the Everest, S1S-EX was the preferred sub.

Attachments

• 300DA977-2150-4BE8-88AA-BD8ED6EB75D3.jpeg
    300DA977-2150-4BE8-88AA-BD8ED6EB75D3.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom