• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most and Least Reliable Electrolytic Capacitors

F

freemansteve

All electrolytics die at some point.

Apart from "I like these and don't like these" opinions and anecdotes, does anyone publish verifiable lifetime test results for specific capacitors?

Thought not! All we have is brand reputation....

sq225917

Major Contributor
Yeh the manufacturer's do it's part of the spec, 5000 hours at 105 degrees before 10% variance from stated values for example.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All electrolytics die at some point.

Apart from "I like these and don't like these" opinions and anecdotes, does anyone publish verifiable lifetime test results for specific capacitors?

Thought not! All we have is brand reputation....
Well eventually yes everything dies.

Anecdotally I tested a hundred or so electrolytics removed from an early 70’s Luxman integrated amp. Only three were out of spec.

Take a look at Nichicon’s website, where their electrolytics have different series, some of which designed specifically for longer life. They in fact do use life testing to get their numbers.

CinDyment

There are probably more bad EEs than bad capacitors if you are buying non-fake capacitors whether Japanese, Korea, Taiwan, US, or China. There are more to e-caps specs than voltage, capacitance and temp rating. ESR, and ripple current are often ignored. Someone wants to make something cheaper, so they take a Nichicon cap, and match the base specs to a low cost Asian brand without doing suitable due diligence which may include thermal test. Then the customer has a failure and blames the capacitor but the real problem was the person who designed it. I have seen 560uF/63V/105C/10K hour capacitors as a reference from 700mA ripple current to 2.3A ripple current. Run that 700mA ripple rated unit at 1500mA ripple, especially at high temp and it will fail quickly. Is that the fault of the capacitor or the person who designed the product?

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's the fault of the engineer who used it without checking all the specs. Its not the job of bees to explain to flies why honesy is better than shit.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts on these?

Attachments

• D3E64369-A57A-44F6-BE15-0E6FE24EE65C.jpeg
    D3E64369-A57A-44F6-BE15-0E6FE24EE65C.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 1B5F0E3F-B190-4FA9-ADB3-9B1B9B14B8AC.jpeg
    1B5F0E3F-B190-4FA9-ADB3-9B1B9B14B8AC.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 209

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The small ones on the left (Rubycon ?) or the bigger Samwha ?
Plate amp for Genelec speaker ?

paging @restorer-john he is better versed on caps.
Samwha is in John's least reliable list. Dunno if this is for all Samwha or only a specific range.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The small ones on the left (Rubycon ?) or the bigger Samwha ?
Plate amp for Genelec speaker ?

paging @restorer-john he is better versed on caps.
Samwha is in John's least reliable list. Dunno if this is for all Samwha or only a specific range.
The Samwha I suppose.

I was wondering how you knew it’s a Genelec plate amp then I saw that it says it very clearly in the photo.

Edit: but figuring out the rubycon is cool. I had no idea.

Last edited:

Dmaumau

rubicong.jpeg

Found some Rubicongs today on a PSU. Out with those and in with some Epcos. Prefer Nichicons but would have to import.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Funny name... Rubicong
Looks and 'sounds' a lot like Rubycon

Top Bottom