• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Morrow SP3 Review (Speaker Cable)

Hello All, I am a new member here. I have a question for you guys a few years ago a good friend had a function in his house and had to move his hifi system temporarily.

He had a pair of Kef IQ5, Rotel CD player and Rotel integrated amp. The speakers were connected with a bi-wire speaker cable, I don't remember the make, it consisted of 2 solid conductors and 2 multistring conductors in a common PVC type sheath.

When I re-connected after the function, I secretly connected the solid cores to the bass binding posts and the stranded to the tweeter, the opposite to how it was connected before the relocation.

As soon as we tested the system he looked at me and said it doesn't sound the same, he thought it might have been damaged. So I secretly swapped the cables back when he was not looking.

Guess what when we retested he said it sounded OK again...?

My question can stranded vs solid cable make a difference????

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Hello All, I am a new member here. I have a question for you guys a few years ago a good friend had a function in his house and had to move his hifi system temporarily.

He had a pair of Kef IQ5, Rotel CD player and Rotel integrated amp. The speakers were connected with a bi-wire speaker cable, I don't remember the make, it consisted of 2 solid conductors and 2 multistring conductors in a common PVC type sheath.

When I re-connected after the function, I secretly connected the solid cores to the bass binding posts and the stranded to the tweeter, the opposite to how it was connected before the relocation.

As soon as we tested the system he looked at me and said it doesn't sound the same, he thought it might have been damaged. So I secretly swapped the cables back when he was not looking.

No, but nonverbal cueing sure can.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #264

For such a test you need to repeat it a dozen times and see if he gets it right close to that many times. One switch over doesn't do it unfortunately. I have gotten 5/5 right in a blind test only to not be able to tell the two apart after that.

And no, whether the cable is stranded or not doesn't matter although as a matter of practice, you should use stranded cable due to its flexibility.

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
He wasn't aware that I had changed anything at any time. Excuse my ignorance is non verbal queuing a form of expectation bias?
Nope, but it’s just as important a variable to control. Read up on Clever Hans for an amusing and interesting story.

For such a test you need to repeat it a dozen times and see if he gets it right close to that many times. One switch over doesn't do it unfortunately. I have gotten 5/5 right in a blind test only to not be able to tell the two apart after that.

And no, whether the cable is stranded or not doesn't matter although as a matter of practice, you should use stranded cable due to its flexibility.
Interesting! I will revisit this when I get time. I will take a look at the methodology and test it out.

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Is there an iron clad procedure for carrying out this type of test?
Double blind is key. Randomized by coin flips, and wires removed and reattached even if two sequential sets are the same. Then repeated enough time to make lucky guessing low probability.

One other way is to record the signal at the speaker terminals with each wire choice, then do a foobar ABX with those files.

Rather than measuring at the speaker end would it
Double blind is key. Randomized by coin flips, and wires removed and reattached even if two sequential sets are the same. Then repeated enough time to make lucky guessing low probability.

One other way is to record the signal at the speaker terminals with each wire choice, then do a foobar ABX with those files.
Okay yes I understand, this can be achieved and I am motivated to pursue more investigation to rule out random chance.

Full disclosure, I am an ex audiophile, mainly Linn equipment, I sold it all including my Sondek. I have turned into a DIY audiophile over the years because I don't believe in magic black boxes. I studied mechanical engineering and just started to feel uncomfortable with the cost of the equipment.

I want to believe that these types of instances are simply artefacts of the human psychology, but I just haven't been able to prove it to myself yet. Acceptance is the first step to recovery.

SIY

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Rather than measuring at the speaker end would it

Okay yes I understand, this can be achieved and I am motivated to pursue more investigation to rule out random chance.

Full disclosure, I am an ex audiophile, mainly Linn equipment, I sold it all including my Sondek. I have turned into a DIY audiophile over the years because I don't believe in magic black boxes. I studied mechanical engineering and just started to feel uncomfortable with the cost of the equipment.

I want to believe that these types of instances are simply artefacts of the human psychology, but I just haven't been able to prove it to myself yet. Acceptance is the first step to recovery.
I went through the same process almost 40 years ago. I knew that Lipshitz and Carlstrom and Clark and Vanderkooy were all wrong about the sound of electronics. So to prove that, I set up my first double blind and level matched tests.

The results were surprising, but my scientist brain took over and I did a 180 on my beliefs.

@amirm Picture of the reference generic cable please! Update the first post with it, I had to scroll all the way down here and I might have missed it if it was there. You will want to use it any cable testing as a reference ;)

egellings

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems like most audiophool; snake oil revolves around interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and the like. The equipment itself is not quite that shot through with the stuff.

Top Bottom