• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More updates from Bob on MQA and the Warner catalogue

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
http://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-and-warner-real-scoop#fjf1BVgvCOBRwYFE.97

No they haven't converted the entire Warner catalogue. Though they will within a year is being claimed. Lots of other tidbits, like that some MQA offerings will be sourced from ye olde humble 16 bit CD master. Still MQA though. I bet those 16 bit MQA's won't be labeled and won't be sold at 16 bit CD pricing either.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bet those 16 bit MQA's won't be labeled and won't be sold at 16 bit CD pricing either.
Heck no, just a further muddling of the waters over what a consumer is paying for.
Mark Waldrep has been on this bandwagon for a long time now, the labels putting HDA stickers on product of less than HDA provenance. Now the consumer will be reading about MQA, not really understanding what it means, but assuming its some new form of High Definition Audio, just like his TV. (Master Quality Authenticated, Right?)
Hell no, it's about the money and control. See Stereophile quote below he tells us up front they'll be slapping MQA and HDA stickers on wax cylinder recording rips IF it came from "the best available source".
What a bunch of BS!

I bet the signed up labels are now in a hurry to "convert" the original files. I my language "convert" refers to a circumstance where the original will then be gone. As in no more access to higher than CD data rates in the forms we can manipulate, and even the "CD quality" comes from a lossy form.
MQA BLHAA
It's not DRM, It's not DRM, It's not DRM

"CD-quality masters? That's hardly high-resolution.
Sure, but it's about the music, right? Stuart indicates that MQA is not about high resolution in the usual sense; it's about authenticity. "As far as we're concerned, anything from a cylinder forward is legitimate as long as it's the definitive statement about a recording," Stuart told me. "If a recording is important enough, and all there is is a 78, that's where we start. . .
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-and-warner-real-scoop#yzts6xSg7h28ZbC5.99"

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom