• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More speakers, less watts?

Soundmixer

I've been hypothesizing that for years in the face of conventional wisdom otherwise. Do you have any way to measure that assertion? I'd love to have evidence of the hypothesis.

This is not my hypothesis, this is Dolby and DTS words in their immersive mixing software training classes which I took. The idea that you don't need equal power comes from the Dolby Prologic days where there were bandwidth-limited surrounds, and the matrix only steered strong signals like dialog (but not bass) to the center channel. When we went from there to digital, both Dolby and DTS created systems whereas you have 5 full-range channels and an LFE channel, the power requirements changed as well. Atmos and X have even more full-bandwidth channels than these legacy audio codecs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom