• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More Rob Wattage

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some things Rob Watts says are shocking but he does know a thing or two about designing good electronics.

This is why i find some of his more asinine comments particularly disappointing, he is not the usual golden eared half whit snake oil peddler but is a genuinely competent and capable engineer who does know his stuff. I expect a bit more from such an individual than from idiots who just regurgitate nonsense they're spoon fed by someone else.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Today ‘Back story’ is everything !
Keith

mansr

Major Contributor
I don't follow this much, but has Mr. Wattage ever proposed or revealed a hardware solution that produces these numbers? I don't know of any standard DSP chips that maintain full 64bit FP precision (~-300dB) input to output. This can be done with a CPU but I don't know if it can be done in real time at the highest sample rates.
The TI C6678 supports 64-bit floating-point and has 8 cores at 1.25 GHz. I should think it's fast enough to implement a volume control.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The TI C6678 supports 64-bit floating-point and has 8 cores at 1.25 GHz. I should think it's fast enough to implement a volume control.

As I said I don't follow the digital end of things much anymore. But in any case this numerical resolution is internal to the DSP, what DAC preserves this?

bennetng

Major Contributor
Just tried to resample a 16/44.1k flac to 32 float/2822.4k, with volume control (Amplify plugin) after upsampling, with my super outdated i3-4160. Still have 15.38x real time speed using a single thread. Though I saved to a 8-bit wav file to reduce harddrive I/O bottleneck as it is not related to processor speed, otherwise bitrate would be as high as 180.6Mbps, good enough even for 8k video LOL.
Capture.PNG

Image1.png

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning
he performs this multiplication after upsampling to a higher rate and uses shaped dither to maintain a high dynamic range in the audio band, naturally at the expense of increased noise at higher frequencies. There is nothing magical or mysterious about this, and it can easily be done in software on a PC. […] As long as whatever noise is added by rounding/dither in the attenuation falls below this level, the details make no difference to the final analogue output.

Using Reaper's "JS: Bit/Dither w/ Noise Shaping" plug-in...

1kHz Sine
at -120dBFS: (64-bit float/96kHz sample rate)

ASR21.png

Truncated to 18-bits:

ASR22.png

Truncated to 20-bits:

ASR23.png

18-bits
output, Noise Shaping ON, Dither OFF: (c.f. NO output when truncated to 18-bits.)

ASR24.png

18-bits output, Noise Shaping ON, Dither (TPDF) ON:

ASR25.png

I offer the above "as is" without implication either way as to audibility. Now, what happens with a multi-order noise-shaped feedback loop...

mansr

Major Contributor
Just tried to resample a 16/44.1k flac to 32 float/2822.4k, with volume control (Amplify plugin) after upsampling, with my super outdated i3-4160. Still have 15.38x real time speed using a single thread. Though I saved to a 8-bit wav file to reduce harddrive I/O bottleneck as it is not related to processor speed, otherwise bitrate would be as high as 180.6Mbps, good enough even for 8k video LOL.
Oh, but your puny software volume control isn't as "sophisticated" as the mighty Watts attenuator.

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone who sells software player with 80-bit float processing. Forget about it, don't want to promote his software.

Ah, n/m, I've found who you mean anyway. Other than the price, I actually like his software (though not used in "DSD" mode) but I'll avoid an unfortunate quagmire by leaving it there.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Apologies in advance for even more Rob Wattage,
does any of this make any sense,
,What can we say about timing errors?

If you would have asked me this a few years ago, I would have said uS accuracy was needed. Now I make no such assumption - there is perhaps no limit to how good the timing of transients need to be. So how can I substantiate that bold statement? Unlike noise shapers, it's rather difficult to put a number to timing accuracy. I guess I ought to state what I mean by transient timing accuracy. I do not mean - unlike the rest of the audio business - ringing performance; this is absolutely not what I am thinking about when I talk about the time domain or timing accuracy. Ringing uses an illegal signal from sampling theory POV as it is not bandwidth limited, so you would not actually get a perfect impulse from a perfect legal bandwidth limited ADC. So why worry about a signal you will never get? So it is actually pointless talking about it. What I mean is the accuracy of the timing of transients. Imagine a bandwidth limited analogue signal that is being sampled in the ADC - it is fully negative, goes positive and at some time crosses through zero. Let us say it is sampled at 44.1 kHz, so every 22,676 nS it's sampled. Let us imagine that the signal is sampled, and then crosses through zero at exactly 20,155 nS after sampling. Of course, when it gets sampled again at +22,676 nS it will now be a positive value. The question is, when the DAC reconstructs the sampled data - converting sampled data back to a continuous analogue signal - when will the signal cross thru zero? Theory is completely clear and undeniable - if we use an infinite oversampling FIR filter with a sinc response at 22,676 nS and a perfect DAC we will reconstruct the time it crosses thru zero absolutely perfectly at 20,155 nS. But with a finite non sinc function reconstruction filter, it will not cross thru at exactly 20,155 - maybe at 19,000 nS or 21,000 nS. And it is these differences in the timing of transients, are what I am talking about. Now in the past I would have said that getting it right to a uS was perhaps OK (timing errors can be as big as 100uS in conventional filters) - now I know that instead of worrying about uS we need to worry about getting it correct to nS's.

What is the evidence for that view? In designing Dave, I wanted to discover what I had done in the Hugo design (it was a happy accident) to give me the timing performance that I so enjoyed with it. By this I mean the ability to hear the stopping and starting of notes. After trying different things, I chased down this quality to the interpolation filters after the WTA filter. Now with Hugo, I used a 16FS WTA filter, followed by a linear interpolator and a two stage IIR filter filtering up to 2048 FS. Changing this to a 256 FS WTA filter followed by my usual 3 stage filtering gave a massive change in sound quality - at this point Dave was sounding impossibly rich and smooth and almost soft sounding. By changing it to 256FS WTA gave a substantial change in character - it was still smooth, but very fast and you could hear the starting and stopping much more easily. It went in character from soft and smooth to fast and sharp - when the occasion demanded.

Now replacing the WTA from 16FS (data every 1,417 nS) to 256 FS (data every 89 nS) is technically very small in the sense that transient accuracy using a WTA against an IIR filter at this speed is not a vast change in the time domain - it is a very subtle difference, but was nonetheless extremely audible. What it tells me is that very small - impossibly small - timing errors are very significant for the brain's ability to process the ear data.
"

Again, I admit I cannot comment on the technical aspect of what Rob Watts says and that is why I need your help to understand your claim that "There's no point providing timing accuracy at greater than 2x our max timing resolution ability and that currently stands at 0.05ms".

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies in advance for even more Rob Wattage,
does any of this make any sense,
,What can we say about timing errors?

If you would have asked me this a few years ago, I would have said uS accuracy was needed. Now I make no such assumption - there is perhaps no limit to how good the timing of transients need to be. So how can I substantiate that bold statement? Unlike noise shapers, it's rather difficult to put a number to timing accuracy. I guess I ought to state what I mean by transient timing accuracy. I do not mean - unlike the rest of the audio business - ringing performance; this is absolutely not what I am thinking about when I talk about the time domain or timing accuracy. Ringing uses an illegal signal from sampling theory POV as it is not bandwidth limited, so you would not actually get a perfect impulse from a perfect legal bandwidth limited ADC. So why worry about a signal you will never get? So it is actually pointless talking about it. What I mean is the accuracy of the timing of transients. Imagine a bandwidth limited analogue signal that is being sampled in the ADC - it is fully negative, goes positive and at some time crosses through zero. Let us say it is sampled at 44.1 kHz, so every 22,676 nS it's sampled. Let us imagine that the signal is sampled, and then crosses through zero at exactly 20,155 nS after sampling. Of course, when it gets sampled again at +22,676 nS it will now be a positive value. The question is, when the DAC reconstructs the sampled data - converting sampled data back to a continuous analogue signal - when will the signal cross thru zero? Theory is completely clear and undeniable - if we use an infinite oversampling FIR filter with a sinc response at 22,676 nS and a perfect DAC we will reconstruct the time it crosses thru zero absolutely perfectly at 20,155 nS. But with a finite non sinc function reconstruction filter, it will not cross thru at exactly 20,155 - maybe at 19,000 nS or 21,000 nS. And it is these differences in the timing of transients, are what I am talking about. Now in the past I would have said that getting it right to a uS was perhaps OK (timing errors can be as big as 100uS in conventional filters) - now I know that instead of worrying about uS we need to worry about getting it correct to nS's.

What is the evidence for that view? In designing Dave, I wanted to discover what I had done in the Hugo design (it was a happy accident) to give me the timing performance that I so enjoyed with it. By this I mean the ability to hear the stopping and starting of notes. After trying different things, I chased down this quality to the interpolation filters after the WTA filter. Now with Hugo, I used a 16FS WTA filter, followed by a linear interpolator and a two stage IIR filter filtering up to 2048 FS. Changing this to a 256 FS WTA filter followed by my usual 3 stage filtering gave a massive change in sound quality - at this point Dave was sounding impossibly rich and smooth and almost soft sounding. By changing it to 256FS WTA gave a substantial change in character - it was still smooth, but very fast and you could hear the starting and stopping much more easily. It went in character from soft and smooth to fast and sharp - when the occasion demanded.

Now replacing the WTA from 16FS (data every 1,417 nS) to 256 FS (data every 89 nS) is technically very small in the sense that transient accuracy using a WTA against an IIR filter at this speed is not a vast change in the time domain - it is a very subtle difference, but was nonetheless extremely audible. What it tells me is that very small - impossibly small - timing errors are very significant for the brain's ability to process the ear data."

Again, I admit I cannot comment on the technical aspect of what Rob Watts says and that is why I need your help to understand your claim that "There's no point providing timing accuracy at greater than 2x our max timing resolution ability and that currently stands at 0.05ms".
Why care what he says when he presents no evidence that his hypothesis is audible?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just wondered if there was any shred of technical merit , ‘transient timing accuracy’ for example,I realise he has never substantiated his ’longer tap length = better sq’ argument.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just wondered if there was any shred of technical merit , ‘transient timing accuracy’ for example,I realise he has never substantiated his ’longer tap length = better sq’ argument.
Keith
Never mind Rob , Almost turned up at your gaff looking for a bed for the night today .

Trains and wind causing issues , fortunately it's all ok now apparently... .. .

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Next thing I expect from him is to make his own rubidium atomic clock in conjunction with his bazillion taps (the clock makes the taps in sync to the timing he's babbling about) and now he's on the league with Auralic or dCS and some other companies that use a master clock snake oil box

D

Deleted member 9286

Keith

I do find it a shame that there are a lot of people here who are very closed minded to some of his ideas. I’m not saying anyone should just believe everything he says and he needs to prove stuff just like the rest of us, but it seems much more popular to try and belittle him here rather than ask him a question and debate what he is claiming. I’m not claiming he is right either, I have no idea.

He is clearly very knowledgeable though and is one of the only designers I’m aware of that also made a very good living designing DAC chips for the major players, before designing his own DACs, so I suspect he does know a thing or two. Also, if his own APX555 measurements were verified, his latest DACs would be the best measured here so far. We don’t know why there are differences between Rob’s measurements and Amir’s but I find it hard to believe he would go to the effort of measuring only to lie about the performance afterwards.

It might turn out he is talking absolute rubbish and is just like a lot of others, or we might all learn something new. It can happen. Just continually trying to bash him here seems a bit pointless.

Top Bottom