• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More reviews of entry-level AVRs?

Sonic icons

I suggest more reviews of recent, entry level, multi-channel AVRs (typically 7.2 nowadays, less commonly 5.2) would be useful to people getting started with their home audio / theater hobby. There are a fair number of reviews of other types of entry level gear, such as loudspeakers, but not so much AVRs. Also, I suspect that the entry level is where some of the biggest performance differences between models and manufacturers will be found, maybe "acceptable" to "awful". I realize this depends to a large extent on whether forum members volunteer to send any of these models in for testing. Here are examples from the Amazon "Best Sellers in Audio Component Receivers" list.

Sony STRDH590, 5.2 channel, sales rank #3
Yamaha RX-V6A, 7.2 channel, sales rank #18 (one of the few in this class already tested here)
Pioneer VSX-534, 5.2 channel, sales rank #20
Onkyo TX-NR6100, 7.2 channel, sales rank #21
Denon AVR-S960H, 7.2 channel, sales rank #25
Denon AVR-S750H, 7.2 channel, sales rank #33
Onkyo TX-NR6050, 7.2 channel, sales rank #36

DrSteveBrule

I agree. I have the means but not the will to spend $1k+ on a receiver. I would rather put that money into speakers or displays, where I have more confidence I'll appreciate it.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
It is also worth looking into commonalities within families of AVR's

For example: the Onkyo NR6100 is (I believe) internally identical to the NR7100 - they key difference being the absence of Dirac - and its licencing costs... (and the NR6050 is the Cosco version of the NR6100? - not sure of differences if any)

So if the NR7100 is measured - we will know the results for the NR6100! (and as they are badge engineered siblings the equivalent models from Pioneer and Integra LX205, LX305, DRX 3.4, DRX 2.4 )

I assume there would be similar situations with other brands and models....

Bleib

Major Contributor
Mostly interested in Denon AVR-S660H. Unfortunately I can't pay for half of the review :/

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@Bleib, my understanding is that you will still remain with the AVR in the end.

Bleib

Major Contributor
@Bleib, my understanding is that you will still remain with the AVR in the end.
Yes, Amir sends it back, but I'm in Europe..

Situation is now different for me, I'm looking at more expensive models. But would still like to see how the cheaper ones measure. 660 wouldn't do, as it doesn't even have support for back-channel surround speakers.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@amirm thanks for the notice, exactly the one I was looking to purchase. I was actually thinking to use the 70s for the surround speakers and center, while feeding the front speakers via Pre-Out of 70s from my Yamaha A-S701 for a punchier and better audio quality. So, looking forward for your review, maybe I'll buy the 70s for the Christmas. :cool:

EWL5

Cinema 70 is only entry-level in performance (definitely not the price!).

jaakkopetteri

Cinema 70 is only entry-level in performance (definitely not the price!).
It's been sold for around 650€ in several places for a while now. Upper entry level, I'd say. The pre-outs are mid-tier at least

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the Cinema 70 is a standout above the rest given it does have full pre-outs and so it can act as a pre pro AND i beleive it has circuitry to completely idle all amps in an effort to reduce noise EM etc. to act as a pre pro...

the only problem with testing is that these things are so rapidly made redundant obsolescent

strangely Denon is a value leader here...

i have seen the 670 770 970s are very very cheap here with ebay 10-15% off coupons too

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the Cinema 70 is a standout above the rest given it does have full pre-outs and so it can act as a pre pro AND i beleive it has circuitry to completely idle all amps in an effort to reduce noise EM etc. to act as a pre pro...
A shame the HDMI input - DAC - pre-outs are nothing to write home about...

index.php

Rockfella

Forum Donor
When my entry level AVR is not even in the list of entry levels AVRs in ASR haha. No biggie. I think 5.1 is the sweet spot lol.

Top Bottom