• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More on power cables or Moron power cables

invaderzim

I think the simplest solution would be to not plug the thing in that screams rather than buying a new power cord

But really, how can they expect to be taken seriously when they are doing the booth at the county fair style display where they go "listen to all that noise!!". Which is great if all you are listening to is a power cable.

If it really did anything they could easily show the improvement on the output of a component.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it is extremely unlikely that any medical device manufacturer would pay $350 for a power cord set. $15 maybe.
(I spent decades in the medical device industry). I actually have some medical grade IEC cord sets. They don't make things sound any better but they are rugged, well built, and kewl. I always look for gauges bigger than the usual 18/3 .

It would be amusing to ask him who his medical device customers are and how much he charges them. If any.

Edit: A very brief Amazon search reveals that nicely made clear molded hospital grade cordsets RETAIL for $12.24. Since margins on Amazon are probably less than they used to be I would think that a medical gear maker might pay as much as $5. There is an audiophile decorated Viborg for 27.90 a bargain at about half the price.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On their site, they link to some doc in Minnesota who claims that the cable greatly improve his electrocardiology measurements. I'm surprised he hasn't published them if they work so great for that purpose...

I would not put that doc on my short list of people I'd want treating my family or me.

edit: Link

simbloke

Forum Donor
So he's got something like a radio using the mains as an antenna? Then his expensive cable has a filter designed to stop the signal to his radio.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I just got a loaner of an APx555 B Series. Oddly, for a device with this kind of sensitivity, the power cord included was pretty standard IEC.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of these gadgets miniaturized to fit into a cordset. Some instrumentation has them built in either as in the photo below or in the power entry module. Either way it would have had the same effect on his little radio set. They keep out the hash caused by every dimmer, scr controller, switching power supply for LED and fluorescent lighting,, nearby. These things don't hurt anything and maybe good to have in your system. But you can't hear them unless you are very suggestible.
smaller Delta Electronics.jpg

Last edited:
OP
invaderzim

invaderzim

I was in a Magnolia HiFi, looking at a TV but being completely ignored, when a salesperson there did the same trick with the noise box and a guy that just bought a soundbar added the power conditioner without a moments thought.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think it is extremely unlikely that any medical device manufacturer would pay $350 for a power cord set. $15 maybe.
(I spent decades in the medical device industry). I actually have some medical grade IEC cord sets. They don't make things sound any better but they are rugged, well built, and kewl. I always look for gauges bigger than the usual 18/3 .

It would be amusing to ask him who his medical device customers are and how much he charges them. If any.

Edit: A very brief Amazon search reveals that nicely made clear molded hospital grade cordsets RETAIL for $12.24. Since margins on Amazon are probably less than they used to be I would think that a medical gear maker might pay as much as $5. There is an audiophile decorated Viborg for 27.90 a bargain at about half the price.
I replaced the power cords on my 2 IoT power strips with these 15A 14AWG rated cables from Monoprice. They handle my pre/pro, DAC, and 5 power amps that are all switched by the pre/pro's triggers, that's a lot of instantaneous current so I thought it best.
It cost me a whopping $5.00 x 2 plus shipping but I ate Ramen noodles for a few weeks and was able to offset the costs. :)
Pretty nice power cords actually.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5292

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hypnotoad

The thing I don't get is that these people act like our high quality components don't have any filtering circuits to filter out any noise in the AC line. I designed a linear PSU for my phono stage running it off a 12vac wall wart and tested it on my scope, no noise at all that I could see and sounded just the same as using batteries IMO.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How stiff are they, Sal? I see they go down as short as one foot - I may get a few to reduce cable clutter
That would be a subjective opinion, not something we do here. LOL
They're pretty flexible, but it's really hard to judge, they're buried behind my shrine and I can hardly reach them.
Sorry

OP
invaderzim

invaderzim

The thing I don't get is that these people act like our high quality components don't have any filtering circuits to filter out any noise in the AC line. I designed a linear PSU for my phono stage running it off a 12vac wall wart and tested it on my scope, no noise at all that I could see and sounded just the same as using batteries IMO.

Exactly! It would be so easy to show if noise coming out of the equipment were reduced but they go with the county fair selling technique of 'listen to all this noise in your power'. And people eat it up. Even if their stuff worked; their sales pitch is so flawed and staged that, to me, they can't be trusted.

It reminds me of the magic spark enhancer that went onto the end of the ignition coil that in my ignorant youth a friend and I bought at a fair. Fortunately, we tested it in the parking lot and found it didn't smooth out the engine like their demo and when we went back for a refund they were in the middle of giving a new demonstration so his assistant quickly and quietly gave us our money back.

Somehow the noise is easily detected before the audio equipment but once it passes through the audio equipment it becomes undetectable except to those with the gift of super human hearing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It reminds me of the magic spark enhancer that went onto the end of the ignition coil that in my ignorant youth a friend and I bought at a fair. Fortunately, we tested it in the parking lot and found it didn't smooth out the engine like their demo and when we went back for a refund they were in the middle of giving a new demonstration so his assistant quickly and quietly gave us our money back.
Did ya ever see the little screen they sold to put between the carb and intake manifold.
Anyone could easily see how that would keep the fuel atomized for better power and economy.

Actually it would do exactly the opposite, collecting the fuel into droplets and making a restriction to the intake flow.
Losses everywhere. LOL

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the simplest solution would be to not plug the thing in that screams rather than buying a new power cord
As far as I know, the sound the box makes is NOT in the audible band. But rather, down converts high frequencies to audible frequency.

None of the mains filters are effective in audible band. The filtering they do is well over the audible band. They would have to be massive to provide any filtering down to 60 Hz mains frequency.

OP
invaderzim

invaderzim

So that is just the sound of unhappy electrons. And we all know that unhappy electrons lead to blah sounding music.

TankTop

This guy is blatantly lying! It is against the law to blatantly lie in advertising.

“Green dot receptacles are marked to designate they are Hospital Grade. Another designation of “Hospital Grade” or “Hosp. Grade” is printed on the back of the receptacle. First off, these receptacles must qualify for UL certifications that general use receptacles must also qualify for. Then, these receptacles must undergo a different series of tests to be labeled with a green dot.
One such test is for the strength of the connection. A receptacle is hung upside down with a pin inserted and a weight attached. The connection is supposed to remain intact without the pin popping out. The receptacle must also be durable enough to withstand crashing and crushing. Extra grounding reliability is also built in.”

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This guy is blatantly lying! It is against the law to blatantly lie in advertising.

“Green dot receptacles are marked to designate they are Hospital Grade. Another designation of “Hospital Grade” or “Hosp. Grade” is printed on the back of the receptacle. First off, these receptacles must qualify for UL certifications that general use receptacles must also qualify for. Then, these receptacles must undergo a different series of tests to be labeled with a green dot.
One such test is for the strength of the connection. A receptacle is hung upside down with a pin inserted and a weight attached. The connection is supposed to remain intact without the pin popping out. The receptacle must also be durable enough to withstand crashing and crushing. Extra grounding reliability is also built in.”

What part of that is a lie?

Top Bottom