• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More news on subjective perceptions from the wine indistry

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is your favorite Chardonnay-based wine, that is under $20 ??

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Yes, I think there are three levels. Master of Wine is either the first or second. The top one is Master Sommelier.

They are entirely separate qualifications actually. Not part of the same track. Similarly tiny groups of people though.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thx - I'll add his Beaujolais Blanc to an order.
Many years ago, I had a bottle of that at a back patio lunch with my favorite Syrah producer. His 11 year old son (now grown and a famous producer) came by and sniffed his dad’s glass and took a swig. The kid looked genuinely puzzled. “This tastes like a Beaujolais, but it’s white!” That’s how terroir-driven this wine is. The antithesis of Napa Valley Chardonnay. Hope you enjoy it- we’re looking forward to being back in Chambers Street’s shipping range shortly.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx. I thought they shipped all over the US - even AK & HY with some special contact or something?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sadly no. And shipping into Arizona is almost a guarantee to heat damage wine.

fivepast8

Forum Donor
JP Brun's Beaujolais Blanc also available as "box wine" from BiBoViNo....

chardonnay-classic-jp-brun.jpg

fivepast8

Forum Donor
Is that for real? I'm trying to imagine fitting that machine into his winery!
Yep, it is for real: french company now expanding into Switzerland.

https://www.bibovinoswiss.ch/fr/blancs/29-chardonnay-classic-jp-brun.html
52 bucks for 3liter box
The BiB (bag in box) is apparently much more environmentally friendly, the wine does not oxidize thanks to the non-return valve at the tap! According to their web site 40% of wine volume sold in France is now in BiB. Once open, the wine is good for 6 or more weeks.
BiBoViNo focuses on wines with strong terroir recognition. The brand is targeting restaurants who then sell by the glass.

I havn't gotten used to the wine box on my counter top yet, but have friends who have adopted it. I also look into the bottle to gauge and stop my drinking. A box like that might prove too tempting for constant re-fills.

@SIY @Wes Come join me for some drinks on the patio

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yep, it is for real: french company now expanding into Switzerland.

https://www.bibovinoswiss.ch/fr/blancs/29-chardonnay-classic-jp-brun.html
52 bucks for 3liter box
The BiB (bag in box) is apparently much more environmentally friendly, the wine does not oxidize thanks to the non-return valve at the tap! According to their web site 40% of wine volume sold in France is now in BiB. Once open, the wine is good for 6 or more weeks.
BiBoViNo focuses on wines with strong terroir recognition. The brand is targeting restaurants who then sell by the glass.

I havn't gotten used to the wine box on my counter top yet, but have friends who have adopted it. I also look into the bottle to gauge and stop my drinking. A box like that might prove too tempting for constant re-fills.
Wow, that's terrific! I wonder if it's available here in the US... J-P was always interested in packaging- he was an early adopter of synthetic corks when I was in that business. Now I need to find his Cuvee Ancienne in a box to complete my transitioning to total alcoholism.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I normally do winter shipping only - they usually just run it up I-5 from SFO Bay area to Orygun.

I do love box wines! Great way to check for confirmation bias in friends. I once emptied out and rinsed the cheapest box wine I could find, then filled with something really nice. A few people wouldn't touch it; others thought it was "unusually good" for a box wine.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some notes on heat exposure:

research study using triangular tastings of numerous wines at Long Ashton Research Station in England of high temperature exposure (80 and even 95 °F for 6 weeks) showed "very little tastable difference" though whites did suffer a bit more than reds; Barsacs and Champagnes suffered the most

- wines did not regain fruitiness, but did age well “rather pleasant”

- from Matt Kramer, Making Sense of Wine, p. 155-156

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Judges get judged. In serious tastings you taste blind the same wines for a few times over a period of several days. Taster who gives the same ratings to wines every time gets higher marks and is on an invite list. Second best is the one who marks the wines at least with similar marks. The rest don't get invited back.

Still, it holds true that long time wine-lovers will more successfully recommend wines to other long time wine-lovers. Same goes for occasional/weekend drinkers. Their recommendation will more often suit other casual drinkers. Since taste develops. Whiskey is sh** when you're 11 and heavenly when you're 50yo.

A good seller will work well with all sorts. For example, you don't complicate things for casual drinkers.

dorakeg

I don't drink at all. So, no matter how great a wine may be in the taste/smell, they are all aweful to me.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I don't drink at all. So, no matter how great a wine may be in the taste/smell, they are all aweful to me.
You must be thirsty. Here, one of my favorite songs:

Kiddin' aside, do you avoid only wine or all alcohol?

Azazello13

wine is an interesting analogy, because there is a ton of BS flying in that world as well, with hucksters competing to separate rich people from their money. But with wine there really ARE subtle differences anyone can notice and that a trained taster can pick out and identify consistently. The wine world is what High End audiophiles THINK their world is.

Top Bottom