• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More help needed with choosing a Sub design?

Destination: Moon

Hi, You guys have been helping with my Sub replacement for my 2 channel system. Ive posted recently and been reading a ton of stuff here and other forums / videos.
Seems like the more I learn the less I know....?

It seems like I should be getting a ported sub - mainly because our living room - dining room - Breakfast nook - Kitchen are all fairly open space with only a few short walls, cabinetry, and counter top separate the spaces. The living room and dining room are one contiguous space measuring 36' x 18' w 10' ceilings

So I know, space wise that makes ported seem like the way to go. However, I am not really all that concerned about the space behind the Livingroom being filled with stupendous sound quality. I do most of my listening about 12 feet from the speaker set up, and at modest volumes. Jazz, Pop, some Classical listening. I am a critical listener. Accuracy and sound stage are the things that bring music to life IMHO.

Not interested in the boomy techno or hip hop side of things. In fact, I dont like boomy or bottom heavy sound, it bothers me and dont find it enjoyable

Im replacing a very small 10" Paradigm PDR10 that is ported w a 100W amp (that was already in the house when we bought it). Im reading stories about people buying hi end sealed subs and being very disappointed - sending them back. I also watched one video of a seemingly knowledgeable guy that claimed that sealed subs were harder on his ears....that they induced some discomfort and odd pressure sensations???

Lots of this is hard to parse as I know some people are trying to re-create Armageddon in their living rooms - me: I just want good hi fidelity sound - and my house and ears to hold together a few more years. We'd also prefer a smaller box - only 1 is in the cards, but if it has to be ported then so be it.

And finally, leaning towards SVS if only because of the remote App. Ive dealt with a couple subs to know that being able to make adjustments without getting up and down, has got to be a much better way of getting things adjusted right by ear.

Would love to hear opinions as to how I should move forward. Thanks!!!

alani

Small speakers for 12 feet distance. Speakers or distance must be changed. Your total space is big, you need at least one 12in bass reflex sub.

Top Bottom