• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More design details about Khadas Tone Board

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'll happily pay $10-15 more for the Khadas being sold with it, honestly.
Unfortunately the economics of a machined aluminum box + payin for whoever has to organize it won't justify it at this level.

I suspect a finished box will cost $25 to $30.

TimW

Major Contributor
Yes manufacturing a finished case for as low as $30 is quite difficult. Especially if you want to do it in the US at low quantities. $10-$15 is less than the price of a generic project enclosure with no openings or labeling.

AdrianG

i don't mind a simple plastic case but a good looking one, aluminium is ok too but it may take more time and money.

Vnowinski

I suspect a finished box will cost $25 to $30.
Given the effort involved in DIY solutions, this is more than worth it.

How about just bezel/front panel to mate with the board? Though I suppose in most cases this would be the rear panel...!

Monte

Looking at the Khadas Tone Board schematic, it looks like balanced is implemented, except the balanced side is going to ground, which puts a heavier load on the opamp (1.6kohoms) than the side that is actually used. Those 0402 parts are hard to work with, but maybe R34 and R45 could be replaced with 10kohms or lift the grounds and make an XLR connection?

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it true you guys are planning to release a balanced version Q2, 2019?

wiljen

I'd have no issue with $35-40 for the case. To get a DAC with those specs in a professional looking package for <$150 is still an absolute steal.

wiljen

I've been toying with the idea of getting the VIM and putting a tone board on it for a media server that gives you the ability to run a remote.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

peterq

Ben,

What's the purpose with dfn packaing opamp in i/v circuit? It's very rare and difficult to replace them. TSSOP is more easy to change.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'd love to see a Khadas headphone amp. Maybe a headphone amp with a case which has room for the Khadas Tone Board to make it a combo DAC/Amp

wiljen

Would be interesting to see a portable DAC/AMP made with the Toneboard too. You can use pin 1 and 21 on the 40 pin connector to power the board without using usb power input so it could work with phones and tablets without worrying about pulling too much current for them. You could use something like the CMOY or the walnut F1 board to pair to the Toneboard with a lithium battery and some simple power conversion circuitry and you'd have a pretty cool little setup.

Top Bottom