• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More Channels for AV processors

discus96

When I set up my Home Theater many years ago, it was a 5.2 system and I felt super happy with the sound and effects on the cinema tracks with Dolby Digital and DTS.
My processor was the Sony TAE 9000 ES, a great machine! Later I moved to the Lexicon MC12 B (7 channel machine)

Today is 9 or even 11 Channels and may be more...... Is this run for always more channels really needed?

Having listened to the new machines , I found for myself, the improvements over the 5.2 or 7.2 channels really marginal compared to the level of COMPLICATION required to set these up (more channels more amps more cables more speakers allover your room) .

I understand that we are living in a consumer based society and the need to sell continously new equipment, but do I really need that ?
For sure I don't, and my Lexicon 7.2 system is perfectly adequate for my needs.
My only question is regarding the new movies encoded tracks with Atmos and so on, will I be able to listen to those even with 5 or 7 channels only (can those be downmixed or my old AV processors will simply give up.

GalZohar

Yes seems like most people have 5.1 or even less, I have 4.1 and listen to everything. Even the cheap receivers downmix as necessary and provide good results (well, as good as you can get with your setup).

OP
D

discus96

My HT/ HI-Fi system is quite good:

I have Vintage JBL 43xx series and Crown I-Tech 5000 HD amps

Attachments

• IMG_2489.JPG
    IMG_2489.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2562.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2567mod4.jpg
    IMG_2567mod4.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 209

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it's like megapixel race in cameras, or cameras race in smartphones. Pls folks - more examples!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Wow, that's quite impressive. :)

Looking at the woofer cones of the rear JBLs, it looks like the surround foam might be in need of replacement.

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning

What an unusual setup/room you have there, I mean its not like the mainstream/baseline mancave I'm used to see, I really like it and envy having that much square feet available. Really nice ceiling job. It has that "Bauhaus" design touch.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What an unusual setup/room you have there, I mean its not like the mainstream/baseline mancave I'm used to see, I really like it and envy having that much square feet available. Really nice ceiling job.
Yes, it's a home theatre and a dance floor too. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These days I believe you can use two processors together for 32 channels if you want. If you have a room/setup to match, should be quite fun. Maybe not for everyone's living room or bedroom, tho.

rccarguy

How can one do that?

Bolt a buttkicker to your skull, and let it smoosh your brain and lowering your IQ by 100 points, then you think his DIY processor magically makes it 32 channels.

OP I recently went from Lexicon MC-8 to new AV pre. It's more really to get HD audio, Atmos, DTS, 4K pass through, HDR etc.

You can get 7.1 HD audio if you use the analogue input on your Lexicon with a BD player with built in decoder, but you won't get new features like atmos, HDR, DTS:X, automatic room correction/distances.

Nothing wrong with the Lexicon it's still a great unit, and I do miss the adjustability it had with DSP modes and Logic 7 is brilliant. My new AV has no where near adjustability of the Lexicon, and I don't think DTS;X upscaling is as good as Logic 7 Music/ Music Surround.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How can one do that?
Was in an article on one of the 16 channel processors a while back IIRC...that could be used with another, in a daisy chain sort of way, want to say Trinnov or Storm. Maybe it was just a thought for future expansion at the time or something that didn't work out ? Dunno....especially if you don't.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having listened to the new machines , I found for myself, the improvements over the 5.2 or 7.2 channels really marginal compared to the level of COMPLICATION required to set these up (more channels more amps more cables more speakers allover your room) .
I can assure you a 20 channel surround system sounds simply awesome. Difference to a 5.1 is huge.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Why the twin woofer model as the surround???

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today is 9 or even 11 Channels and may be more...... Is this run for always more channels really needed?

Besides the need for a constant upgrade cycle, the new audio codecs also function as pseudo-DRM.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Most of the time I find regular 5.1 adequate. But when I listen to good Dolby Atmos (with height channels) mix whether a movie or music, it is much better then regular surround sound. Wish there were more immersive content done with care, because the potential is great.
Height brings a lot to table.

Golfx

Forum Donor
You all have overlooked another motive for having more speakers. It gives us a substantial/specious reason to buy more stuff. That then engages our need to problem solve which adds even more to our addiction to buy more stuff.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Was in an article on one of the 16 channel processors a while back IIRC...that could be used with another, in a daisy chain sort of way, want to say Trinnov or Storm.
Those companies have some upgrade/expansion options but daisy-chaining would require some unusual proprietary software. Not generally relevant.

OP
D

discus96

I'm first of all a Music lover, HT is only my second option. Fun to watch a movie with family or friends or may be a tennis match on my mega screen, I can finally see the tennis ball life size!
Music is my priority, Movies are only second choice. I would never listen to music through an AV pre (anyone, any price) Most of them can only do a decent job with music at best.

My system allows me to completely bypass the AV pre for music. I play music keeping it digital up to the only and last conversion D/A to my speakers.
My music source is a PC with Jriver or spotify from there I go digital direct to my amps that accept digital imput, they also do xover, eq, and then go direct to my biamped JBL.
The 6 Crown Itech 5000 HD accept also balanced analog input from my AV pre for cinema only.

The JBL 4350 and 4345 are working wonders for music especially considering that all my room is fully treated for a perfect sound reproduction ,
all the ceiling, and the walls. I listen to music in stereo with four biamped JBL's,

My vintage jbl collection

Top Bottom