• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More bass with Schiit DAC/AMP combo?

Treep

So my problem is that I just want to have a moderate amount of additional bass.. Nothing too crazy just a bit. I obviously also want to have the best Audio quality possible.

The problem emerged as I just recently bought the modi 3+ DAC for my already aquired magni 3+ AMP & DT 990 PRO (250 Ohm). Previously I was driving the AMP via a PCI-E Soundcard (Devil HDX) - I know it's a bit weird..

So what I was thinking initially when I ordered the modi was, that there has to be program of some sorts - like the one that came with the soundcard where you can just easily tweak your bass etc. Then I started reading into the whole Audio topic and I just didn't find quite the answer that satisfied me - it was either buy a specific DAC/AMP for more bass or other headphones. I also didn't really find anything about a good software that just works and does great. This kind of makes little sense to me since I can't be the first one having that problem but despite that I just did not find anything after a couple hours of 'research'.

So is there any such software out there or is it just truly the headphones (despite I read about them being quite bass-heavy)? I also plan to upgrade to a DT 1990 PRO - maybe that just solves my Problem altogether? It will be a little while though until then so yeah... And I also really don't want to buy a new DAC/AMP - if it's not necessary - as I just don't have them that long yet...

Thanks for helping me out :)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yes it's called Equalizer APO. it will work with any DAC connected to your computer.

a new DAC or Amp will not give you more bass.

OP
T

Treep

Ok, thx for the fast answer.

I'll try that then

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EQ software is very common. There is a list and links here. Equalizer APO is at the top of the list. Combine that with a GUI software and you are all set.

OP
T

Treep

Ok thanks for the additional help:)

What GUI is typically the best for that?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, thx for the fast answer.
I'll try that then

Is the Modi 3 connected to the computer using USB or optical connected to the Devil DHX or motherboard's optical port?
For playing audio files, get Foobar2000 (With WASAPI installed) and use the Foobar2000's EQ.
The 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro already comes with a loud bass, not sure why anyone would need more (IMHO).
Me, I prefer a more controlled and detailed bass.

OP
T

Treep

Nah I threw the HDX out as it just acted as a substitute DAC. The modi is now connected via USB to the MB.

Well I don't need a lot more bass just a little bit... I just feel like I'm lacking a little something in some tracks

OP
T

Treep

EQ software is very common. There is a list and links here. Equalizer APO is at the top of the list. Combine that with a GUI software and you are all set.
Sorry wrote the answer before I clicked the link...

Thx again though:)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nah I threw the HDX out as it just acted as a substitute DAC. The modi is now connected via USB to the MB.
Well I don't need a lot more bass just a little bit... I just feel like I'm lacking a little something in some tracks

Do you max out all the volume controls on the PC (OS and apps) and just use the Magni to control loudness?

OP
T

Treep

Yep of course..
I did find out that much during my research xD I also - of course - disabled Onboard Drivers.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So my problem is that I just want to have a moderate amount of additional bass.. Nothing too crazy just a bit. I obviously also want to have the best Audio quality possible.

The problem emerged as I just recently bought the modi 3+ DAC for my already aquired magni 3+ AMP & DT 990 PRO (250 Ohm). Previously I was driving the AMP via a PCI-E Soundcard (Devil HDX) - I know it's a bit weird..

So what I was thinking initially when I ordered the modi was, that there has to be program of some sorts - like the one that came with the soundcard where you can just easily tweak your bass etc. Then I started reading into the whole Audio topic and I just didn't find quite the answer that satisfied me - it was either buy a specific DAC/AMP for more bass or other headphones. I also didn't really find anything about a good software that just works and does great. This kind of makes little sense to me since I can't be the first one having that problem but despite that I just did not find anything after a couple hours of 'research'.

So is there any such software out there or is it just truly the headphones (despite I read about them being quite bass-heavy)? I also plan to upgrade to a DT 1990 PRO - maybe that just solves my Problem altogether? It will be a little while though until then so yeah... And I also really don't want to buy a new DAC/AMP - if it's not necessary - as I just don't have them that long yet...

Thanks for helping me out :)
Hey,
I just sold a pair of DT990's and one thing that helped with bass was using the DT770 (silver) pads. The black ones are a different part number and they're brighter if those are the ones that came with yours. I have a pair of MMX300's too and a box of pads and the fresh DT770's will bring out more bass without ruining the sound profile. I had the pro, but I think the Ninja edition comes all in black...

Top Bottom