• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Variations

Soandso

Sound good, sure. But the quality and fit leave a lot to be desired. Sold them as they got my ears hurting half hour in.
I've read other ASR comments of another Moondrop model having excellent sound and yet the model not being comfortable to use. I've wanted to try/buy my 1st IEM and find comments beyond sound signature also very relevant.

OP
edahl

edahl

They're the most comfortable and well built IEM's I've tried, so I don't think that generalises well.

Fregly

View attachment 220520

There’s the graph with frequencies visible. Doesn’t look like any 6/7khz peaks. Not sure if the 8khz peak is resonance or not (I haven’t read up on what he’s using to measure, I just use them for comparisons).
My understanding is it does not show in graphs.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My understanding is it does not show in graphs.
You're right. Some couplers reduce these peaks to a certain extent. With the measuring rig that crin uses, the KZ CRN sounds exactly how it graphs. I hear that nasty 8000Hz peak in music and FR sweeps. This completely depends on insertion depth though. This varies from person to person and IEM shell and stem design. A deep fitting iem will shift the resonance upward. This is why etymotics have a resonance above 11KHz.

graph (6).png

coupleresonance.png

More info if anyone is curious. Read the coupler resonance section.

mrbungle

I've read other ASR comments of another Moondrop model having excellent sound and yet the model not being comfortable to use. I've wanted to try/buy my 1st IEM and find comments beyond sound signature also very relevant.
They just tend do be on the bigger side. The nozzle is thick for most of their current lineup. So don’t go with them if you know you have small ears, otherwise you are likely fine. In addition, they only started with the Kato adding lips and dust filters into their nozzles. Not a dealbreaker, but I wouldn’t spend $500 for the Variations and still deal with those sticky dust filters. The accessories are also not what you get from some of their competitors, but I’m fine with that - I’d rather just order exactly what I want. They also promised a planar flagship IEM for this fall, if you are not in a hurry.

Fregly

I would like them to do a Blessing 3 upgrade as Moondrop's diffuse field (ish) flagship. It is Harman Harman everywhere these days, and not everybody hears this as accurate or coherent.

OP
edahl

edahl

I would like them to do a Blessing 3 upgrade as Moondrop's diffuse field (ish) flagship. It is Harman Harman everywhere these days, and not everybody hears this as accurate or coherent.
Variations is Blessing 3, diffuse would be something else entirely imo.

Fregly

I disagree. At least in the IEM space, I feel like manufactueres are tuning to IEF more often than to Harman.
More Crin's preference curve than his neutral one, isn't it ? To me that is Harmanish, at least low register.

Last edited:

Fregly

Variations is Blessing 3, diffuse would be something else entirely imo.
Well Variations is bass soup for the way my ears perceive, and B2 is more towards a euphonic DF in the low end. But of course this is all personal.

Chyżwar

I disagree. At least in the IEM space, I feel like manufactueres are tuning to IEF more often than to Harman.

Crinacle has measured thousands of IEMs and maybe 1% is tuned close to the IEF curve... Most of them are V-shape, many are close to Harman. There really aren't many options for someone who prefers a more "neutral" sound and isn't a fan of Harman's bass.

Top Bottom