• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Variations Alternatives

OP
A

Adamant11746

I don't necessarily find it so personally, I maybe find it a little too insubstantial, but if you are specifically looking for lighter, it's the lightest/thinnest. It's well made, works well and is comfortable. Was the cheapest when I bought it, the Xinhs silver purple is a bit cheaper now. Still cheap. If you are specifically looking for "light" I suspect the Zombur would be too much.

This is the iVipQ cable, there are three options, $12.50 for the purple. I have the silver and blue as well as the purple.

Xinhs purple silver, $10:

Solid purple, $24:
Which picture matches the Xinhs purple silver? I tried the Zombur and will be returning it not because of weight (it's actually ridiculously light) but because it's stiff and the ear hooks are the wrong shape for me. Speaking of ear hooks, I've discovered that they absolutely need to curl inward as well as back, as seen in the picture below. Do the Xinhs cables do that?

Ear Hook Shape.jpg

asrUser

, I've discovered that they absolutely need to curl inward as well as back, as seen in the picture below. Do the Xinhs cables do that?
A 4-core NiceHCK cable in my possession does do that. Not sure about Xinhs. I think the probability is high, if you choose a 4-core cable from whatever brand. Those cables mostly come from the same factory.

Last edited:

Blorg

Which picture matches the Xinhs purple silver? I tried the Zombur and will be returning it not because of weight (it's actually ridiculously light) but because it's stiff and the ear hooks are the wrong shape for me. Speaking of ear hooks, I've discovered that they absolutely need to curl inward as well as back, as seen in the picture below. Do the Xinhs cables do that?
The Xinhs purple silver are the two bottom ones in the first photo, the Dioko and the Final A4000. It comes stock with grey hardware like on the Final A4000, I asked him to swap on black for the Dioko to better match the IEM.

I don't think earhooks curving inwards like this is a deliberate thing on most cables. The purple silver on my Final A4000 does, but I think that is just coincidence. The purple silver on the Dioko, the right is inwards, the left is straight. I don't think they deliberately do this, I think they come

I have a lot of cables from Xinhs, also many from NiceHCK and others as well, I don't think there is a consistent pattern to this always being inwards. The NiceHCK fabric cable on my Aria, for example, it's right inwards and left outwards, they both sort of go in the same direction. NiceHCK are similar build to Xinhs, good quality.

I don't think this is a big issue though, it is honestly not something I have noticed as a problem with cables before.

What is an issue with earhooks is when they are not flexible enough and tend to sit up above your ear. Sennheiser stock cables are very problematic in this regard. I have some others that can be a bit difficult like this too, Sony and Shure have elements of it but are nowhere near as bad as Sennheiser. The aftermarket Chinese cables are generally better for this.

Another thing to consider, if you have issues with earhooks, is just not using them at all. You can cut them off with a sharp hobby knife if they are there already, or if ordering you can ask Xinhs to just not put them on. If cutting, just get the knife in under the end of the earhook, above the cable, and cut lengthwise. Some NiceHCK cables come stock without them as well. For some IEMs, they actually work better without earhooks, and to be honest in general I tend to find "no earhook" to fit better. Earhooks though give you a quicker indication of which side is which and also the orientation of the plug. If you have a no earhook cable you need to look more carefully, there will be a little dot to indicate polarity on the end of the cable and you need to orient this the same both sides. But I do have quite a few cables with no earhooks at all and it is definitely worth considering if you have issues with earhook fit. Generally, a cable without an earhook will conform better to your actual ear shape, as it's not being constrained by the earhook.

rockrolla

I also have some issues with IEM comfort , my favourite at the moment it's the 7hz Salnotes Zero , very neutral signature and it's a no brainer at the price

OP
A

Adamant11746

What is an issue with earhooks is when they are not flexible enough and tend to sit up above your ear. Sennheiser stock cables are very problematic in this regard. I have some others that can be a bit difficult like this too, Sony and Shure have elements of it but are nowhere near as bad as Sennheiser. The aftermarket Chinese cables are generally better for this.
That turned out to be the problem! I tried using the cable cinch on the stock cable to pull them together under my chin, and it also helped pull them down over my ears. It's still not the most comfortable, but at least it's usable now and gave me some valuable information (I learned that the problem isn't the weight after all). I am very tempted to get the full purple now, it looks amazing.

FireLion

I recently tried a pair of Moondrop Variations, which sounded amazing but were unfortunately uncomfortable. I think that while I have average sized ear canals (I tend to use size Medium tips, at least for silicone) my outer ears may be a bit on the small side. I did confirm that I'm one of the people who likes the Harman Target, and I'm looking for IEMs that track the target well but have a different shape compared to the Variations. Right now I'm leaning towards the AKG N5005, but I'm a little worried about that 5khz peak that someone else thought sounded plastic (see this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/n5005-sounds-so-plastic.39683/). I was wondering if anyone else had other suggestions, or whether I should just try the AKGs.

IEMs I've tried already:
  • Audeze Euclid: Not comfortable (also too big for my outer ear), sounded good in comparison to what I had at the time but probably not good enough. Also, they were borrowed and I can't afford more than $500-$600 right now.
  • Letshuoer S12: Also not comfortable, nozzle is too short so they press against my ear in order to get a good seal. Closer to the Harman Target than the Euclids, but still not close enough.
  • Moondrop Chu: Decently comfortable but simply would not stay in my ears. I preferred the sound of the S12s over them as well.
  • Truthear Zero: The most comfortable set I have found so far, although the very tip of the nozzle might be a bit too wide. I like the sound, but in comparison to the Variations these may have just a little too much mid bass.

Edit: I prefer not needing EQ, but there's a small chance I'd consider it since these will primarily be used at the PC.
Try tips with large bore like these two links below. I had the same issue, I have the misodiko and ordered the amazon set.

or these

...actually these too if you need the length shortened,

OP
A

Adamant11746

Got my Ze Tian Wu today, and I'm liking what I hear so far. I haven't been able to find any suggested EQ curves for them though - has anyone published any EQ presets for them?
All I did was eq the bass/mid-bass down to harman using one of the squig.link databases and the built-in autoeq function. To be honest they don't need much in the way of EQ, they're pretty close already. Unfortunately I don't remember which person's measurement I used, and the site seems to be temporarily down.

GeorgeWalk

I have Pinnacle P1s that are my prefered IEMs. They fit me well, I usually have trouble with fit. Most IEMs don't stay in my ears regardless of size. They sound good and are easy to equalize.

subframe

All I did was eq the bass/mid-bass down to harman using one of the squig.link databases and the built-in autoeq function. To be honest they don't need much in the way of EQ, they're pretty close already. Unfortunately I don't remember which person's measurement I used, and the site seems to be temporarily down.
Thanks! So far
Thanks! So far, EQ has only made them sound worse. These really may not need any!

Blorg

They are very well tuned and don't really need EQ. Mine are very close to Harman stock, maybe a little lower/closer to Crinacle/IEF neutral in the upper mids but that is my preference anyway. I wouldn't complain about a hair more bass than Harman IE either. 8kHz is insertion resonance with the measuring rig. This measurement is with Moondrop Spring Tips. They measure substantially smoother, and substantially better channel balance, than many of the other planars, some of which can get a bit spicy in the upper mids.

If you find the bass a little much, you could cut just the mid-bass down like @Adamant11746 suggested. But just a little, say 200Hz -2dB Q0.7. This leaves the sub-bass alone but gives you more of a Harman mid-bass "scoop". This is the only EQ I have set up for them, most of the time I just listen to them straight though.

1677047730587.png

Last edited:

bkdc

Forum Donor
You may want to try extra long silicone tips or double/triple flange tips on the LetShuoer S12 If you like them but it’s an issue of nozzle extension. Use the largest silicone tips that are comfortable. Often using a larger silicone tip avoids having to insert further into the canal. I use Spinfit CP145 and they aren’t too long but are larger than stock tips avoid me having to push the smaller medium tips further into my canals.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
They are very well tuned and don't really need EQ. Mine are very close to Harman stock, maybe a little lower/closer to Crinacle/IEF neutral in the upper mids but that is my preference anyway. I wouldn't complain about a hair more bass than Harman IE either. 8kHz is insertion resonance with the measuring rig. This measurement is with Moondrop Spring Tips. They measure substantially smoother, and substantially better channel balance, than many of the other planars, some of which can get a bit spicy in the upper mids.

If you find the bass a little much, you could cut just the mid-bass down like @Adamant11746 suggested. But just a little, say 200Hz -2dB Q0.7. This leaves the sub-bass alone but gives you more of a Harman mid-bass "scoop". This is the only EQ I have set up for them, most of the time I just listen to them straight though.

View attachment 266561
CCA Lyra looks similarly tuned for $130 less. Probably less distorsion too if typical DD vs planar IEM performance.

1677236958531.png

Blorg

CCA Lyra looks similarly tuned for $130 less. Probably less distorsion too if typical DD vs planar IEM performance.

I'm seeing more mid-bass, (and the Zetian Wu is already very bassy), less smooth upper mids with a more pronounced 8kHz peak, and much worse treble extension. The treble extension is a big part of what you get with the planars and what makes them sound airy, detailed, "hi-res".

Everyone else's measurements of the Lyra show the upper mids and 8kHz peak as quite a bit worse than that. The 8kHz peak is an insertion resonance with these couplers, but that doesn't mean it's not there particularly if it measures large, I can hear it (although usually at 7.5kHz) on all IEMs and if it measures higher I do hear it higher too.

1677389324403.png

The CCA Lyra does look very well tuned for a $18 set from KZ, they are getting better and I have several recent KZ/CCA that are good. I don't have the Lyra.

There are also other options, like the $20 Tangzu Wan'er or $30 Tin C2, that might be even better. I have both of these, and they are I think my current favourites out of what I've heard in the $20-30 range. A bit less bass, smoother through the upper mids, less peaky at 8kHz, better treble extension particularly in the case of the C2:
1677389393594.png

You really are already into diminishing returns past $20 these days so up to you as to how much any of this matters but I doubt they are entirely equivalent. The best $20-30 stuff really is very good. It's small differences spending more, but I don't think it's no difference.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm seeing more mid-bass, (and the Zetian Wu is already very bassy), less smooth upper mids with a more pronounced 8kHz peak, and much worse treble extension. The treble extension is a big part of what you get with the planars and what makes them sound airy, detailed, "hi-res".

Everyone else's measurements of the Lyra show the upper mids and 8kHz peak as quite a bit worse than that. The 8kHz peak is an insertion resonance with these couplers, but that doesn't mean it's not there particularly if it measures large, I can hear it (although usually at 7.5kHz) on all IEMs and if it measures higher I do hear it higher too.

View attachment 267564

The CCA Lyra does look very well tuned for a $18 set from KZ, they are getting better and I have several recent KZ/CCA that are good. I don't have the Lyra.

There are also other options, like the $20 Tangzu Wan'er or $30 Tin C2, that might be even better. I have both of these, and they are I think my current favourites out of what I've heard in the $20-30 range. A bit less bass, smoother through the upper mids, less peaky at 8kHz, better treble extension particularly in the case of the C2:
View attachment 267565

You really are already into diminishing returns past $20 these days so up to you as to how much any of this matters but I doubt they are entirely equivalent. The best $20-30 stuff really is very good. It's small differences spending more, but I don't think it's no difference.
I have not to listened to all of these, what I've seen others say:
Tangzu Wan'er has a mildy relaxed vocal presence, I like a moderate vocal so I've passed on this one.
Tin C2 has some metallic/artifical upper mids, possibly reflected by the relatively elevated 5-6kHz.
Lyra is leaning somewhere toward Wan'er with KZ's signature treble boost.

If the Wan'ers relaxed vocals are unacceptable, and a moderate vocal is required I recommend the $35 Kiwi Cadenza, I own it and it's a nice build and a good selection of tips included. If $35 breaks the bank the CCA CXS, or the revised CCA CRA could be $15-20 option for vocal presence, but they have KZs DNA for better or worse.

1677417761698.png
1677417803211.png

Last edited:

Blorg

I have not to listened to all of these, what I've seen others say:
Tangzu Wan'er has a mildy relaxed vocal presence, I like a moderate vocal so I've passed on this one.
Tin C2 has some metallic/artifical upper mids, possibly reflected by the relatively elevated 5-6kHz.
Lyra is leaning somewhere toward Wan'er with KZ's signature treble boost.

If the Wan'ers relaxed vocals are unacceptable, and a moderate vocal is required I recommend the $35 Kiwi Cadenza, I own it and it's a nice build and a good selection of tips included. If $35 breaks the bank the CCA CXS, or the revised CCA CRA could be $15-20 option for vocal presence, but they have KZs DNA for better and worse.
I have the Cadenza, CXS and CRA as well. They are all good but I think the Wan'er and Tin C2 are better than the KZ options. The CXS is fun and very good value for the price (and very well built as well) but it's quite a V-shape. CRA is an extreme V (or U) shape with a LOT of bass and a lot of treble. Also fun but the least balanced.

I don't think the vocal level of the Wan'er is too low. It is a bit more relaxed than the others but it's not the point it's problematic, it's actually closest to IEF neutral of any of them (and also graphs and sounds very like the much more expensive Moondrop Aria).

The Cadenza though I'd put around the same level I think as the Wan'er and Tin C2.

If I had to pick one, the Wan'er is probably the most neutral and tonally correct and C2 is probably the most detailed and technical sounding. With the Cadenza in between. They are all pretty similar, dlightly different flavours.

markanini

Major Contributor
I don't know if there's much old stock left, the original CCA CRA has a larger pinna recess and treble harshness, more than the other IEMs discussed. The revised one measure quite close to Tin T3 plus, as set that's regarded as having a balanced tuning.

Blorg

I don't know if there's much old stock left, the original CCA CRA has a larger pinna recess and treble harshness, more than the other IEMs discussed. The revised one measure quite close to Tin T3 plus, as set that's regarded as having a balanced tuning.
Interesting there is such variance there, I didn't know the tuning had changed in more recent ones. That looks more balanced. I have the original CRA, the one with a lot more bass and treble, and also the CRA+, which I prefer (it's also more balanced).

bubacon

Hey, Guys

maybe I'm late, but I found Tanya DSP somehow similar to Variations. It seems to have a lil more body, due to the extra bass dbs.
also, these iems are extremely low budget... gotta try.

Check it out.

1694706917976.png

markanini

Major Contributor
The hot DSP IEM right now is Tanchjim One DSP. It's cable can even be used with any 2-pin IEM though, for programmable EQ.

Top Bottom