• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop MoonRiver 2 dongle measurements by L7 Wolf

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just trying this on my S22 Ultra and volume control of my E1DA 9038S3 with phone volume buttons works fine in UAPP when phone is locked.

Have you got a Pixel 6 Pro? Is this another example of the disaster that is USB DAC support on that phone?
I have a pixel 3 and 5, both of which are on a12 (pixel 5 on 12.1) and both won't do it. Maybe it's a pixel more than a generic a12 issue. Thanks for checking. Not a huge deal but an annoying one!

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
So I thought the volume controls on the MR2 would be able to work independently of this. It doesnt- using the volume switched on the MR2 with the phone locked has no effect- same as using the volume rocker on the side of the phone- so that idea is a bust!
There's a setting in UAPP to enable USB device buttons, is that enabled?

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I have a pixel 3 and 5, both of which are on a12 (pixel 5 on 12.1) and both won't do it. Maybe it's a pixel more than a generic a12 issue. Thanks for checking. Not a huge deal but an annoying one!
Actually owning Pixel 6 Pro, I should have known it wasn't, because it doesn't work with UAPP and USB DACs at all!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I shall search for and try that! Thanks

(am I the only one that loves UAPP but gets scared going near most of the settings categories?)

threni

Major Contributor
I shall search for and try that! Thanks

(am I the only one that loves UAPP but gets scared going near most of the settings categories?)
Not scared, but I sort of resign myself to having to go through every single settings sub-section to try and find what I'm after whenever I want to change something.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Jimbob54 Settings->Volume->Use volume rocker buttons
Screenshot_20220422-222602.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 Settings->Volume->Use volume rocker buttons
View attachment 201621
Alas that has always been checked. I recall reading that one of the first a12 patches disabled the ability to volume control cast devices when screen locked but also stopped it working for hardware volume on connected dacs. Some lawsuit Google had (nvidia? EDIT, SONOS - by-product of the group casting control lawsuit ) and lost.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
USB audio tweaks - Enable USB hardware buttons was the setting I was thinking of that might make the dongle's buttons work.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
USB audio tweaks - Enable USB hardware buttons was the setting I was thinking of that might make the dongle's buttons work.
Thanks. That doesn't work either. So it's probably a pixel android 12 only bug or restriction. Think it's a by product of the Sonos case and the changes they had to make.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, I went a bit crazy and bought a second hand L&P W2 after buying this device (the OG 43198 chip version- cant comment on the new 131 version) but, for me , a second hand w2 is a better prospect than a new Moondrop. I havent done blind tests so cant really comment on the sound (my tiny brain tells me I prefer the L&P fwiw) but from a function perspective the w2 beats this hands down.

1. Volume controls on w2 can be set to work independently of the host device (the HID setting turned off)
2. DAC filter settings - you can select them
3. Gain settings "stick" where you put them- the MD defaults back to high each power cycle- dangerous IMHO with sensitive IEM
4. The display on the w2- easily see where things are set to

So, yeah, not all expensive dongles are created equal, even when the DAC chips and performance look pretty similar on paper. And yes, they are both WAAAAAY too expensive for what they bring over something like a Meizu, Tempotec and especially the E1DA devices, but if you are paying over the odds anyway, get the W2.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I went a bit crazy and bought a second hand L&P W2 after buying this device (the OG 43198 chip version- cant comment on the new 131 version) but, for me , a second hand w2 is a better prospect than a new Moondrop. I havent done blind tests so cant really comment on the sound (my tiny brain tells me I prefer the L&P fwiw) but from a function perspective the w2 beats this hands down.

1. Volume controls on w2 can be set to work independently of the host device (the HID setting turned off)
2. DAC filter settings - you can select them
3. Gain settings "stick" where you put them- the MD defaults back to high each power cycle- dangerous IMHO with sensitive IEM
4. The display on the w2- easily see where things are set to

So, yeah, not all expensive dongles are created equal, even when the DAC chips and performance look pretty similar on paper. And yes, they are both WAAAAAY too expensive for what they bring over something like a Meizu, Tempotec and especially the E1DA devices, but if you are paying over the odds anyway, get the W2.
It's funny that somebody who claims all decently designed dacs sound the same keeps on buying unnecessary expensive new ones. Why don't you buy for example the Lusya dongle from Aliexpress, which is already a few years on the market. It costs about $20, is quite powerful and, depite probably not measuring too well, will most likely not have any audible difference to the present best ones. I have it and can not find any sonic difference to the much more recent Hidizs S9 Pro, which measures very good. Looks that somebody is not adherering to what he preaches.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny that somebody who claims all decently designed dacs sound the same keeps on buying unnecessary expensive new ones. Why don't you buy for example the Lusya dongle from Aliexpress, which is already a few years on the market. It costs about $20, is quite powerful and, depite probably not measuring too well, will most likely not have any audible difference to the present best ones. I have it and can not find any sonic difference to the much more recent Hidizs S9 Pro, which measures very good. Looks that somebody is not adherering to what he preaches.
Why would I buy ANOTHER dongle? I have loads already.

And I think I explained why the W2 is a decent proposition from a function perspective- if not from a value nor sonic one.

Im guessing you haven't spent much time with priests either ;-)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did in my youth, before I turned atheist. I am more on the search for the tiniest bit of sound improvement than better functionality, which in most cases is ok for me.
Serious question, no bickering and all that nonsense. What is your view on EQ/ DSP ? Thats about the only way I have found to get meaningfully better sound once you get electronics that are transparent and powerful enough, and headphones that have a decent stock response and low distortion.

Garrincha

Serious question, no bickering and all that nonsense. What is your view on EQ/ DSP ? Thats about the only way I have found to get meaningfully better sound once you get electronics that are transparent and powerful enough, and headphones that have a decent stock response and low distortion.
Hang on a second, is this discussion allowed on this thread ? There are so many implicit and explicit rules here, I don´t know.

But to answer your question, while I had for several years decent systems in two different apartments I was living (one with Dynaudio Contour MKII speakers, one with Quad ESl-63), I mostly listen to headphones, also because I am often up late at night. I fell in love with Stax electrostatics headphones, but since I now located to Brazil and did not bring them with me, I am stuck with my Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pro and various IEMs. Only recently I discovered the ease with which headphones could be EQed (using SoundSource on my MacBook). I like it, but have to confess that sometimes I even prefer the non-EQed sound. But still, it is really a great way transforming a low-distortion headphone/IEM into one sounding as one likes to.

But I still don´t know if any headphone wich low distortion EQed to the prefered target sounds the same.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hang on a second, is this discussion allowed on this thread ? There are so many implicit and explicit rules here, I don´t know.

But to answer your question, while I had for several years decent systems in two different apartments I was living (one with Dynaudio Contour MKII speakers, one with Quad ESl-63), I mostly listen to headphones, also because I am often up late at night. I fell in love with Stax electrostatics headphones, but since I now located to Brazil and did not bring them with me, I am stuck with my Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pro and various IEMs. Only recently I discovered the ease with which headphones could be EQed (using SoundSource on my MacBook). I like it, but have to confess that sometimes I even prefer the non-EQed sound. But still, it is really a great way transforming a low-distortion headphone/IEM into one sounding as one likes to.

But I still don´t know if any headphone wich low distortion EQed to the prefered target sounds the same.
I don't disagree. I think you're just far more bothered as to why you perceive differences than I am. I just enjoy fiddling and trying new things, even if the impact is negligible. But that's just part of the hobby.

Im pretty sure if I could wind back the clock I could be happy with a pair of HD600, a dac /amp that was good enough and some eq to fiddle with but sadly I got the bug for trying new things. Irrational, I know, but I can't shake it. So I encourage others to try and take the simple path even though its hypocritical.

But hey, some people have drawers full of expensive watches they never wear so at least we're not those guys.

Garrincha

I don't disagree. I think you're just far more bothered as to why you perceive differences than I am. I just enjoy fiddling and trying new things, even if the impact is negligible. But that's just part of the hobby.

Im pretty sure if I could wind back the clock I could be happy with a pair of HD600, a dac /amp that was good enough and some eq to fiddle with but sadly I got the bug for trying new things. Irrational, I know, but I can't shake it. So I encourage others to try and take the simple path even though its hypocritical.

But hey, some people have drawers full of expensive watches they never wear so at least we're not those guys.
Not quite. What me bothers even more is that apparently even with a lot amount of money improvement in sound quality is either non-existing or negligible. Relatively cheap DACs and amps are now considered transparent and EQed standard headphones are also very good. While this is on the one hand a positive and gratifying thing, on the other hand it is a bit boring. I like the sound quality I get, but I would love to improve it even further and don´t see really how, if not buying absurdly expensive speakers and headphones that in the end maybe have only a very minor impact. The last time I was shocked was when I heard my electrostatic Quad ESL 63 for the first time, but I would like to have more revelational experiences like this one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
UAPP have fairly recently included an option in settings- volume that is a workaround for this , called " Android 12+ volume fix" of all things!

eyecent

It seems to be produced by Jcally. It is almost the same as the product called AP98

Top Bottom