• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop LAN Review

Mike-48

To me, a LAN is a Local Area Network. This is some kind of earphone. Perhaps you would edit your review to define what LAN means the first time you use it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, a LAN is a Local Area Network. This is some kind of earphone. Perhaps you would edit your review to define what LAN means the first time you use it.
Orchid;)

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for any trouble caused. Yes, the raw and to Harman2018 frequency responses that I provided earlier are not at the same insertion depth.
View attachment 289223
This is the raw graph at the same insertion depth before compensation. is also used in the main content and by Moondrop official.

As for the Y-axis, it's just because I used 90dB as the center for all the images. If the image has 0 as the center, I also tend to add 90 to it. This way, I don't have to reset my image resolution every time.Yes, I know it's a very strange habit, and I should be able to change it in the future.
Ok, I see. What insertion depth is this latest graph you show? If it's different to the earlier graph you showed what made you decide to show that one and then show the compensated graph to Harman which was derived from a different one than you originally showed? Which frequency response is the most relevant for when you wear it? Because I notice Maiky has already done his EQ based on your initial graph that is showing the large difference to the target at 6kHz.

Peafowl

Thanks for the review!

Images are hard to read on mobile though.
Not just on mobile.

Yes, I am not the norm with my 90% blindness, but the presentation with not clear letters on the pictures and bad contrast makes me not even want to read the review because it is so exhausting.

That's where I really appreciate the simple counts in black and white. It's not a design contest after all.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Were these measurements done using a clone coupler?

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Not just on mobile.

Yes, I am not the norm with my 90% blindness, but the presentation with not clear letters on the pictures and bad contrast makes me not even want to read the review because it is so exhausting.

That's where I really appreciate the simple counts in black and white. It's not a design contest after all.
It's a bit mean, but is ok. In fact, the most important thing is that the picture needs to show some other content, such as high-frequency attenuation at different ages, differences in HRTF, etc., so this has nothing to do with the 'design contest'. I have posted the original data chart of REW in the second post, and I will continue to do so in the future. You can choose according to your own needs.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a device specifically made for the young (or young at heart) people who play local area network games; as in computer games. For some reason they leave the games part out of the name. Maybe also called e-sports? But then it wouldn't have the LAN in the name. Anyways, I also expected something different, maybe a new gold plated ethernet balancer/optimizer to make your lossless WiFi streamer cables sound better ;-)

Since I'm already posting where I shouldn't: why did the beginning of the review sound more like an advertisement? Or is it just cynical old me who reads things into words?

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a device specifically made for the young (or young at heart) people who play local area network games; as in computer games. For some reason they leave the games part out of the name. Maybe also called e-sports? But then it wouldn't have the LAN in the name. Anyways, I also expected something different, maybe a new gold plated ethernet balancer/optimizer to make your lossless WiFi streamer cables sound better ;-)

Since I'm already posting where I shouldn't: why did the beginning of the review sound more like an advertisement? Or is it just cynical old me who reads things into words?
It does look like a huge advertisement. Does any review need so many highly stylised product images? It *is* a huge advertisement. For the author. I don't get why this guy's reviews get approved and promoted here. He's using a different curve than Amir, presenting information in ways (3D mixing space?????) that are so odd as to entirely rule out the reader's ability to compare with other items tested here, or anywhere so far as I can tell. If the review measurements are impossible to compare with the other technical reviews on this site then what is the point? After reading the review I know the reviewer likes the product but I can't find a way to assess that in the context of the database of reviews here or elsewhere. It's more like reading a subjective opinion than a technical review and not really any more useful to me.

FINFET

Forum Donor
Your reviews looks very good, and they are very formal in format and design, almost like the advertisements from the manufacturers themselves like people discussed above. I'm curious whether you create these reviews out of interest (with some obsession in graphics design), in hopes of making a profit from making reviews, or if there's any sponsorship from the manufacturers for your reviews? I believe that knowing the story behind the reviews can help people trust your review data and your subjective conclusions more.
Anyway, it's always good to see more people participating in audio gear measurements, thank you for your great efforts.

julian_hughes

.....I'm curious whether you create these reviews out of interest (with some obsession in graphics design), in hopes of making a profit from making reviews, or if there's any sponsorship from the manufacturers for your reviews? I believe that knowing the story behind the reviews can help people trust your review data and your subjective conclusions more.....
see https://www.cuckooaudio.com/ The reviews seem to be a promotional effort for a youtube channel and also for the website prior to launching an online shop and forum. The reviewed products are provided by the manufacturers. That seems rather unusual for a brand new review site and suggests a relationship between the reviewer and the manufacturers.

GaryH

Major Contributor
It does look like a huge advertisement. Does any review need so many highly stylised product images? It *is* a huge advertisement. For the author. I don't get why this guy's reviews get approved and promoted here. He's using a different curve than Amir, presenting information in ways (3D mixing space?????) that are so odd as to entirely rule out the reader's ability to compare with other items tested here, or anywhere so far as I can tell. If the review measurements are impossible to compare with the other technical reviews on this site then what is the point? After reading the review I know the reviewer likes the product but I can't find a way to assess that in the context of the database of reviews here or elsewhere. It's more like reading a subjective opinion than a technical review and not really any more useful to me.
Not to mention not using a genuine GRAS acoustic coupler for the measurements, so questionable accuracy, and measuring at varying insertion depths within the same review without making this clear. I really don't understand why these reviews keep getting promoted to the home page either.

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Your reviews looks very good, and they are very formal in format and design, almost like the advertisements from the manufacturers themselves like people discussed above. I'm curious whether you create these reviews out of interest (with some obsession in graphics design), in hopes of making a profit from making reviews, or if there's any sponsorship from the manufacturers for your reviews? I believe that knowing the story behind the reviews can help people trust your review data and your subjective conclusions more.
Anyway, it's always good to see more people participating in audio gear measurements, thank you for your great efforts.
see https://www.cuckooaudio.com/ The reviews seem to be a promotional effort for a youtube channel and also for the website prior to launching an online shop and forum. The reviewed products are provided by the manufacturers. That seems rather unusual for a brand new review site and suggests a relationship between the reviewer and the manufacturers.

I am a Chinese mixing engineer owning a home studio. I started this review because I have many monitoring headphones and wanted to make a video review to test them out. It's been almost two years since 2021, but I only recently started trying to translate the content into English. I like things that look good, so I spent a lot of time making my charts as refined as possible. I realized that there are significant differences in human auditory perception, so I decided to incorporate many research findings on human auditory perception into frequency response. Although music is my career, product reviews now take up most of my time, and the cost of living in Beijing is high. I received advice from a senior colleague,now if a manufacturer sends me a product for review, I will start charging a production fee. However, we will sign an agreement stating that "the fee is limited to the production cost of the video/article and will not add any manufacturer-customized content, nor will I accept reciting, or editing." Of course, as you can imagine, under such constraints, no manufacturer is willing to spend money on releasing a bad product and receiving negative reviews. This becomes a screening mechanism, resulting in the products received from manufacturers and published are usually good.

I never expected Amir to give me the opportunity to feature multiple comments on the homepage yesterday, and I am very grateful to him. In fact, products like the K601 and Final B1 that I reviewed before were sent by my followers, so not every review is provided by manufacturers. and some of them are purchased by myself too.

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
And yes, that's a simple website I made myself using Wix, which went live just three days ago. Do you have any further questions?

julian_hughes

And yes, that's a simple website I made myself using Wix, which went live just three days ago. Do you have any further questions?
Yes.

Why should any potential purchaser ever regard paid reviews as impartial or trustworthy?

What is the difference between a paid review and online marketing?

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck is it in fact a totally disinterested chicken?

OP
Cuckoo Studio

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
Yes.

Why should any potential purchaser ever regard paid reviews as impartial or trustworthy?

What is the difference between a paid review and online marketing?

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck is it in fact a totally disinterested chicken?
Now you have exposed that you are only here to criticize others, not for anything else.

julian_hughes

Now you have exposed that you are only here to criticize others, not for anything else.
No, that isn't true. I'm here, for several years, as someone who enjoys music and is interested in audio devices, formats, codecs, protocols and so on. And usually just for fun and because it's interesting. You can check my posting history and easily see this. I find impartial, technically competent, comparable reviews extremely useful. I've based several of my purchasing decisions on Amir's reviews. I join in on the forums in various ways and the fact that I am questioning a paid reviewer (you) does not mean that I'm here only to criticise, though criticise I will if it seems justified.

You decline to respond to legitimate questions but instead evade those subjects and offer an insult. Remember please: I'm not a person receiving or seeking payment from people paying me to promote their products. You are.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
well_that_escalated_quickly.jpeg

Edit 1: Actually, I find the later parts of the review do not sound like advertising. In general I think it's good to give a bit of background to a review, not just whether one received something for free, but also personal preferences, prejudices, personal interest, that kind of stuff. Maybe that was a bit lacking, initially.

Edit 2: Now I had to re-read the review, even though I'm not in the market for these little in-ear gizmos. Here's my meta-critique, if that's allowed: After the a bit flowery opening the reviewer gets nicely into the technical details (freq.response, distortions, insertion depth), but then it gets a bit flowery again after "Let’s enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space"; it almost sounds subjectivist there, although one could argue the reviewer tries to pick descriptive words that have more broadly accepted meaning. Does it help? I don't know. The big balloon graphs that follow remind me of not so well received attempts to improve high energy physics event displays in the 90s. Think jets depicted as huge colorful arrows with even bigger hats. I think the designer was very disappointed with the (lack of) reception.
There are books on data visualization, I remember attending a lecture once and getting a free copy. Of course I remember neither the author nor the title. I think he invented the little one-line squiggle graphs that unfortunately also didn't catch on.
Edit 3: Found it: The author is Edward Tufte, and he wrote several books. I think the one I remember is 'Beautiful Evidence', but more famous is probably 'Visual Display of Quantitative Information' https://www.amazon.com/Visual-Display-Quantitative-Information/dp/0961392142 .

Ok, I think I better go back to trying to measure my tube amp now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom