• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Lab

markanini

Major Contributor
Lan is smaller still. With bass boost EQ it's a way to get the whole package for cheap. On my phone the built in system EQ works well enough. On PC it's more flexible. Even then I just use a simple shelf function.
2023-04-23 11.06.28.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-04-23 11.07.20.jpg
    2023-04-23 11.07.20.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 68

Moonhead

No guys.. You are confusing me :D and my tinnitus is not making it any easier.
Im Stoked you are great.

OldenEars

I got a Chu recently to dip my toes into IEMs. I overall like how they sound, especially when listening to mostly instruments, I definitely noticed things that I didn't before. But there seems to be something going on with female vocals. They kinda sound... podcasty? If that makes sense? I don't know if that's an issue with seal or insertion depth.

I'm thinking about getting new tips because the one that fits hurts after a while. I'm thinking either Complys or Xelastec, mostly for comfort reasons (will they change the sound?), or do I just break in the bundled tips?
I spend too much time rotating them to get a good fit/sound.

It varies a lot and I think it's why I don't like iems. But iems or no music, I'll go with iems :(

riceFET

It varies a lot and I think it's why I don't like iems. But iems or no music, I'll go with iems :(
I recently got the ER2XR, and believe it or not, I found those (with the smallest double flange) more comfortable than the Chu.

I already tried a variety of tips with the Chu and I always had to choose between seal and comfort. I guess shallow IEMs are not for me.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Try wearing them upside down. As in not looping the cable behind your ear but straight down

OldenEars

I recently got the ER2XR, and believe it or not, I found those (with the smallest double flange) more comfortable than the Chu.

I already tried a variety of tips with the Chu and I always had to choose between seal and comfort. I guess shallow IEMs are not for me.
Tbh ill try the smaller ones. I just assumed I have big ear holes

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I got used to the tonality of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, which I use daily at work and when playing my digital piano at night. And when I switch to the Blessing 2 Dusk for listening to music, the extra bass and tiny more sibilance (comparatively) are noticeable. I was OK with it...

graph (10).png

...until the Blessing 3 came out and fixes these, and follows pretty much the same curve as the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, so I think the B3 will better suite my taste.

graph (11).png

We are talking about only a few dBs difference, but I decided to give it a try anyway and just ordered the B3. Let's see/hear if I am right on this one. Though I prefer the brushed steel faceplate of the Dusk instead of the shiny fingerprint magnet faceplate of the B3.

I speculate that the Dusk version of the B3 that @crinacle announced will most likely increase back the bass, which I don't want anyway (as per his video that was a disagreement point with Moondrop's CEO on the D2 Dusk, so should be the same with B3 Dusk).

PS: how come there is no leaner "snow edition" of the Variations?? Its curve is more out of line with the usual Moondrop house sound.

graph (13).png

Last edited:

Ashimaru

Has anyone tried using tone generator/sine sweep on Moondrop Lan? At what frequency are the peaks and dip located with stock tips?

Blorg

Have you ever tried ER2SE? How does it compare to Lan?
To be honest I don't have a Lan yet on hand.
I think the main differences are going to be the bass and the way Etymotic handles the ear gain and highs, slightly shouty and then slightly dark, but also smooth treble.

Plus obviously the insertion differences. You will get an insertion resonance on the Lan lower than you will the Etymotic.

I don't have the ER2SE but I have the Lan and ER2XR, ER4XR and ER4SR. Compared to those, I prefer the tonality of the Lan, the bass is just about right and I prefer the way it handles the upper mids too, less shouty as the gain is pushed back.
1685020647461.png

Ashimaru

I think the main differences are going to be the bass and the way Etymotic handles the ear gain and highs, slightly shouty and then slightly dark, but also smooth treble.

Plus obviously the insertion differences. You will get an insertion resonance on the Lan lower than you will the Etymotic.

I don't have the ER2SE but I have the Lan and ER2XR, ER4XR and ER4SR. Compared to those, I prefer the tonality of the Lan, the bass is just about right and I prefer the way it handles the upper mids too, less shouty as the gain is pushed back.
View attachment 288143
Thank You. What about Lan treble compared to Ety? Is Lan also smooth and linear?
Actually I saw the measurements from Woodenears. Some of their Lan samples are pretty close to the ER2SE (with added bass shelf, of course). Also Lan has lower distortion than Ety.

Graphs are: ER2SE + stock foam tips vs Lan Sample 2 & ER2SE + large triple flange vs Lan Sample 3 with Little White EQ off

Attachments

• Capture+_2023-05-25-22-12-12.png
    Capture+_2023-05-25-22-12-12.png
    291.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Capture+_2023-05-25-22-13-26.png
    Capture+_2023-05-25-22-13-26.png
    315 KB · Views: 87
  • Capture+_2023-05-25-22-14-17.png
    Capture+_2023-05-25-22-14-17.png
    287.9 KB · Views: 66

Blorg

Thank You. What about Lan treble compared to Ety? Is Lan also smooth and linear?
Actually I saw the measurements from Woodenears. Some of their Lan samples are pretty close to the ER2SE (with added bass shelf, of course). Also Lan has lower distortion than Ety.

Graphs are: ER2SE + stock foam tips vs Lan Sample 2 & ER2SE + large triple flange vs Lan Sample 3 with Little White EQ off
I think the treble is quite smooth. There is an insertion resonance which for me is 7.5kHz which is around where it is for me for most IEMs with a normal insertion depth. It's smoother than most IEMs through that though. This is what most measurebators standardise at 8kHz, I get it at 7.5kHz presuming a normal (not deep) insert and it's there with these but lower and smoother than most IEMs.

The insertion resonance is at a much higher frequency on the Etymotic, and insofar as this is a factor it does make the Etymotic smoother. Lan graphs pretty smooth on IEC-711 measurements up to the insertion resonance, even smoother on Crinacle's new B&K 5128 and that's how I hear it. It also drops off far less sharply after the insertion resonance than most IEMs, I don't get the sharp drop in the graphs after 8kHz, it just drops off very smoothly. Any secondary resonance is high enough I don't hear it.

That distortion is extremely low, thanks for the graph. It is a very good sounding IEM.

Ashimaru

I think the treble is quite smooth. There is an insertion resonance which for me is 7.5kHz which is around where it is for me for most IEMs with a normal insertion depth. It's smoother than most IEMs through that though. This is what most measurebators standardise at 8kHz, I get it at 7.5kHz presuming a normal (not deep) insert and it's there with these but lower and smoother than most IEMs.

The insertion resonance is at a much higher frequency on the Etymotic, and insofar as this is a factor it does make the Etymotic smoother. Lan graphs pretty smooth on IEC-711 measurements up to the insertion resonance, even smoother on Crinacle's new B&K 5128 and that's how I hear it. It also drops off far less sharply after the insertion resonance than most IEMs, I don't get the sharp drop in the graphs after 8kHz, it just drops off very smoothly. Any secondary resonance is high enough I don't hear it.

That distortion is extremely low, thanks for the graph. It is a very good sounding IEM.
Thanks for the explanation. I think Moondrop is trying to produce a smooth treble response without having to sacrifice fitting with deep insertion. I'm glad Lan came out with smooth treble, low distortion and a good price.

Chyżwar

Thanks for the explanation. I think Moondrop is trying to produce a smooth treble response without having to sacrifice fitting with deep insertion. I'm glad Lan came out with smooth treble, low distortion and a good price.

I compared the Lan to my ER4XR and ER2XR. The Lan are not as smooth and they're brighter, I wasn't impressed overall (there are $20 headphones that I like more).

markanini

Major Contributor
I compared the Lan to my ER4XR and ER2XR. The Lan are not as smooth and they're brighter, I wasn't impressed overall (there are $20 headphones that I like more).
I asked around about the Lan on some IEM oriented Discords servers before, because I was curious about others perception of the treble quality, and alternatives should it be out out of production. To my surprise most called it "smooth", despite me using bass boost EQ, while most listen to the stock response. I think this shows that perceptions can differ depending on:
1. Overall tilt of the response. The stock Lan response would be bright tilted. (I like to think of Lan as a improved Salnotes Zero, which similarly impressed me, only once I added some bass boost EQ.)
2. Point of reference, Etymotic will always be uniquely smooth due to the deep insertion. Lan might be smoother than a number of dynamic driver IEMs.

Without EQ I'd indeed rather listen to the less expensive Truthear Hola. Only with EQ I think the Lan is worth the extra $20.

Ashimaru

I just tried Lan. Yes, their treble are bright. Smooth enough than other over ear IEMs, not as linear as Ety, but bright. Replacing them with spring tips made the treble smoother and reduced brightness, but it rolls off too quickly after 7kHz to my ears. The midrange is clean, the sound of the snare drum feels snappier than the ER2SE, don't know because of the frequency response or lower distortion in the mids compared to the ER2SE.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my Blessing 3 today and I am using it right now with the RME ADI-2 DAC for first impressions, using stock tips and stock 3.5 mm cable. For starters it is very comfortable. And as for sound, I don't find it lean at all, bass is perfect. But maybe the treble and air is a little more then what I am used to. To be continued.

Edit: sweeping it gives me peaks at 6.0 and 10.5 kHz, kind of matches this.

graph (2).png

Edit 2: from former experiences this is the typical sound that initially impresses with the high resolution and definition, but after a while it causes listening fatigue. Let's see/hear.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, Chu 2 already.

chu2 fr.jpg

Compared to their own measurements of Chu 1:

chu 1 fr.jpg

I suppose we should compare to the gold curve above, since both have the 9 kHz peak.

Chu 1 had the bass some 2-3 dB lower than the ear gain. Chu 2 is hard to tell but maybe slight higher, like 1-2 dB bass below ear gain.

Chu 1 has significantly higher 4-5 kHz than Chu 2 though, Chu 2 should sound warmer but less spacious. Also Spring Tips are gone, in my experience they remove a lot of bass, it was a bad choice on the Chu 1.

Chu 2 has detachable cable, probably a mic option later. Also replaceable nozzle for fine tuning, surprising in this price range. The chassis also looks nice along with the nice artwork.

Should be a winner. Let's wait for the reviews.

Top Bottom